Haven't run in years, am I going about it the right way? (Read 83 times)

dbush2765

So I just started running again last week. I used to be a distance runner in high school (Cross Country, and a mile runner in Track). Ran all through high school, and stopped running for a few years afterwards. 

I ended up not going with the C25K program, as that seemed a little light for me, and I still knew how to run properly while avoiding injury. I jumped straight into doing 3.3 mile runs (there are two really good routes near me that are both 3.3 miles). I'm noticing I have to stop every once in a while though to walk a bit. This happens on one route more than the other, as one is extremely hilly. I'm having to stop due to my legs just becoming incredibly tired and heavy. I'm not wheezing for air, so my breathing is completely fine, and I never have to stop because I'm in pain, if that makes sense. I always make sure to, no matter how tired, keep a good running form. On top of that, my pace just seems extremely slow as well (averaging around 10:45 miles). It's been so long since I've been in this position, that I have no idea if I'm going about this the right way or not. 

The overall goal is to get a good 5k time, then move on to 10k, mini, and eventually a marathon. My runs are all recorded on my profile below. Right now, I'm running six days a week, and even right now after two days of running, I'm feeling great and in no pain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

http://runkeeper.com/user/dbush2765/profile

carlos49er

As long as you maintain consistancy and follow the 10% percent rule, your legs will adapt. If you're not in a hurry to be able to run a half or full marathon then I would say work on increasing your speed over 3.3 miles. I read a study somewhere claiming that seasoned runners will began to lose performance gains after a couple months of not running. So don't feel bad that you used to run xcountry and now you can't make around the block without walking. Consistancy is key.

More importantly you should enjoy it. I've met a bunch of people who take up running and want to do a 5k or half.  They find some training program that gets them there but the programs can be a little demanding for some. Eventually after they reach their goal they stop running because they burned out. They find running to be a chore.When you go out running you should be having a good time, happy about being outside and taking it all in. Yes, some runs will require hard work but over time you'll come to enjoy those as well. I ran my first half 2 years after I took up running and my first full marathon a year later. Races will continue to happen even long after you and I have left this life.