Addictive web site (Read 684 times)

AnneCA

http://geoguessr.com/

It plops you down somewhere in the world on Google Streetview.  You guess where.  Most of them you can move around a bit and try to get some clues:  what language are the signs in, are there any flags visible, what side of the road are they driving on, etc.  Sometimes there are give-away clues like road signs, businesses with place names in them, monuments, etc.  Up to you whether you permit yourself to Google the visible clues (e.g.,a highway sign says you're looking at the Rio Cuiaba, or there's a flag with white, red, and green stripes).  Often it's a victory just to get on the right continent, and any time I see a sign in Cyrillic I just give up and click randomly in Russia.  It's given me a new appreciation for the size of Russia.  

Enjoy!

ymmv

Rungry!

I was expecting a discussion of RunningAhead Syndrome when I opened this thread Wink

Jen

karyllynne

http://geoguessr.com/

It plops you down somewhere in the world on Google Streetview.  You guess where.  Most of them you can move around a bit and try to get some clues:  what language are the signs in, are there any flags visible, what side of the road are they driving on, etc.  Sometimes there are give-away clues like road signs, businesses with place names in them, monuments, etc.  Up to you whether you permit yourself to Google the visible clues (e.g.,a highway sign says you're looking at the Rio Cuiaba, or there's a flag with white, red, and green stripes).  Often it's a victory just to get on the right continent, and any time I see a sign in Cyrillic I just give up and click randomly in Russia.  It's given me a new appreciation for the size of Russia.  

Enjoy!

Well, there went the rest of my day!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Does it always plop you in the middle of nowhere, so you have to "drive" 100 miles to see even a sign?

AnneCA

Does it always plop you in the middle of nowhere, so you have to "drive" 100 miles to see even a sign?

In that situation, I just guess Australia.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

In that situation, I just guess Australia.

Ha, that worked a couple of times!

After playing a few rounds I'm finding it interesting how so many places on very different parts of the globe look really similar.  Sometimes my guesses were really close...and other times they were WAY off.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think my best game yet is 10575 points.

~ Sarah Kay

I could consistently guess Japan or Russia so far.  On deserty looking places its a wild guess between the US/mexico/Australia.  Rest was pure guessing unless I could see a sign of some sort.  I found a camel on a farm, but guessed Australia and I was right.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm generally getting N and S hemispheres right, but frequently on the wrong continent...or the complete wrong coastline of a continent.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Now I have DH addicted...first round collaboratively yielded 11158.  We got within 60 miles of one location...but WAY off on one we thought was NW Mexico, but was actually Brazil.

~ Sarah Kay

Joann Y

addictive is right

http://url.geoguessr.com/3jTT

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

12106 - I am officially a junkie...there goes my night!! Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

addictive is right

http://url.geoguessr.com/3jTT

I can't get the share URL to work on Safari...I need to try another browser, perhaps...

~ Sarah Kay

AnneCA

Oh, yeah:  23919.  http://url.geoguessr.com/3k2z Several of them put me down right next to road signs.  Clown  Got lucky on Russia, and had no clue on Botswana, but at least I got the right continent!