Light AND Cushioned (Read 657 times)

Looking for a shoe with both features. The ones I'm considering are the Saucony Mirage 3 and Nike Lunar Glide 4. For the Nikes I had to go up half a size. The Mirage 2, I had to do same. Not sure if the Mirage 3 is any roomier than the 2. Looks like it's more cushioned, according to runningwarehouse.com

My left foot takes the beating pretty badly, so need extra protection without a lot of weight.

Any thoughts on these or others?  I like a wide toe box.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Chris Pinney

I have worn brooks pure project shoes for a couple of years . Pure connects for shorter stuff and flows for longer runs. I have tried others but cant get away from these.
      MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I look for the same thing, and I love the Mirage.  I'd definitely recommend it.  I also liked the Nike Flyknit Lunar 1+, but the toe box was a little too snug for me (even going up a half size...but I have issues with the ball of foot joint so they may work for you).  The Flyknits were exceptionally light and comfortable.  If not for the toe box, I'd give them an A+.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Thanks, guys.

MJ5, Mirage 3?

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Thanks, guys.

MJ5, Mirage 3?

Yes, that's what I'm running in right now.  I had skipped the Mirage 2, but I also liked the original Mirage.  I do like the 3 better.  I feel like the upper is more breathable.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

brooks pureflow has a bit of extra width in the forefoot as well as cushion.  its basically a neutral shoe but has just a little more support in the arch so a neutral runner or light pronator could use them.  I almost bought a pair but decided on the pure cadence which is the stability shoe of the pure project line because I also use the Adreneline gts (several generations).  tried the connect but too narrow & I'm more used to having the extra stability.  may switch to the pureflow when my cadence wears out.   only use cadence for races (under HM distance), speedwork, or shorter runs.

Yes the Brooks Pureflow is definitely worth checking out.  At the moment, I'm alternating between a pair of these and a pair of Kinvaras.  Although they are similar shoes, both 4mm drop and leaning in the minimalist direction, the Pureflows are a bit more cushioned and I like them for longer runs.  No issues at all with the toebox.  The Kinvaras are probably a tad lighter, but the weight difference is not noticeable to me while running.

stshipley7

I'm 15 miles into my new Brooks PureFlow 2s. So far so good, a good replacement for my Asics Speedstars, which are stiffer than the PureFlows. Uglier though. Sad

-STS

I also love the Mirage. They're not super cushioned, but enough for me. I love how light they are. My other shoes seem very brick-like now.

Saucony Virrata? I haven't worn them but I am probably going to give them a try to replace my Mirage 2 and/or Kinvara 2's which are both getting pretty long in the tooth. Word is they pack a ton of forefoot cushioning (which is where I need it) into s really light and neutral package. Size up a half size from the Mirage.

Runners run

SubDood

Saucony Virrata? I haven't worn them but I am probably going to give them a try to replace my Mirage 2 and/or Kinvara 2's which are both getting pretty long in the tooth. Word is they pack a ton of forefoot cushioning (which is where I need it) into s really light and neutral package. Size up a half size from the Mirage.

I love the Virrata. Wore them for a recent marathon. Also switched from a pair of Kinvara 2's with over 950 miles on them. The Virrata's are light and cushioned, in my opinion. They are a 0 mm heel drop versus the Kinvara 2's 4 mm, but I don't think I can feel the difference. They feel just as cushiony to me as the Kinvara's, if not more so. (I got the Virrata's at the time because someone posted that the Kinvara 3's suck.)

Thank you very much, everyone.

I am going to check out the Mirage 3, Virrata and the Purflow.  The Nike Flyknits seem to be a little outside what I'd like to spend, but will look around.

xhristopher

The Nike Flyknits seem to be a little outside what I'd like to spend, but will look around.

I really like my Flyknits, more now than when I initially got them. They are reasonably cushioned and light. What is clear is that they aren't as durable as Lunar Glides. So, at the price they can't really be justified as regular trainers.

xhristopher

and Hokas.

I have a pair of Pearl Izumi N1s that I think fit what you are looking for. I have run a marathon in them and they felt great.

--

Nashville, TN