Gait analysis? (Read 112 times)

Has anyone ever had a running gait analysis? Are they worth it? I have heard two sides of this. One, that you may need to change your form to improve efficiency and prevent injury and the other, that we are born with a body that has a natural way to run and it shouldn't be messed around with.

Thoughts?

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

It depends on who analyze it.  It doesn't matter what kind of highly sophisticated equipment they might have, if the person who analyzes has no clue, it won't be worth your time.  It could be worth it if you're currently having an issue with your form.  Most people actually don't have much issue at all but would LIKE to think it's an issue and perhaps blame some injuries on it.  Human mechanics is so amazing that it adjust it so well.

That said, however, it is also amazing that, perhaps because we don't have as much opportunity to be in touch with natural movement any more, some people are so out of sync with their movement that it probably would help to have running style checked by some experienced eyes; not someone who happens to work at a running store or a gym.

Has anyone ever had a running gait analysis? Are they worth it? I have heard two sides of this. One, that you may need to change your form to improve efficiency and prevent injury and the other, that we are born with a body that has a natural way to run and it shouldn't be messed around with.

Thoughts?

I had had AT/PF problems, whose symptoms were "corrected" by orthotics (no gait analysis by podiatrist), but then started returning again in about two years, iirc. (this time, I recognized symptoms earlier)  I found a free gait analysis by chiropractic using a Footmaxx (?) pressure plate, and he suggested some other orthotics which was the only way to correct the problem. (didn't buy into it)

Then a running shoe store recommended a different PT who works with runners. He gave me a visual gait analysis (didn't have a video setup), which agreed with the Footmaxx one, BUT he recognized the Cause as being weak ankles and feet, and gave me strengthening program as well as changed me from mc to stablity shoes so my feet could function. If that didn't work, we were going to change the orthotics also since they (3/4 length hard) weren't addressing the later overpronation issue which needs something in the forefoot. As long as they weren't causing any issues, I didn't mess with them. Then a bit over 2 yrs ago, I ditched the orthotics.

In my case, getting a proper analysis and learning how to fix the weak feet and ankles were critical to me being able to run.

An interesting sequel is a recent foot problem (forefoot pain like plantar wart), which was misdiagnosed by GP and PT, but diagnosed by podiatrist, who shaved off some dead skin and gave me a prescription moisturizer for feet. (that moisturizer is really different than regular hand lotion)  That's been pain free now since I walked out of his office - including snowshoe running (metal bar hit the sore spot) and a few other things that I thought I could never do again without pain. Only been about 3 wks, and he suggested they may or may not return (not curable). But heck, the PW suggestion was to remove them, and the holes may be more of a problem than the original problem. So for awhile, I'm ahead of the game.  (gait analysis would have nothing to do with this)

Getting the right diagnosis and treatment is critical. Usually finding the right practitioner is key - and usually they're a medical person who works with runners.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog