Running Safety (Read 244 times)

ftmsb

Hello. First post here to pose a question that I have been wondering about regarding running in urban environments and safety. I’ve been doing some research on possible running routes in New Orleans, in this and other running forums. A common theme in the discussions I’ve found is that the visiting runner should stick to a few “safe” routes, the implication being that trouble lurks for the unwary that stray into bad neighborhoods (of which, I am led to believe, there are many in New Orleans).

I’m curious if anyone has any anecdotal stories of runners that have actually gotten into trouble while running. While the question is triggered by New Orleans research, it is not intended to be limited to that city. I like to do long, unmapped runs in new cities to get a feel for the place and have never had any trouble, and tend to think a runner is not an obvious target for crime. Am I being naïve?

Runners probably aren't more or less safe than any other pedestrian, but google "runner attacked" and you'll get more than your fair share of real stories (no need for anecdotes). Be sensible and safe, same as if you were out walking.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

I always talk to locals before I head out in a strange city.  I was wary of running in Cape Town, but everyone I talked to said that the shore path was safe.  I ran 10 miles total and felt very safe - there were a lot of other runners and walkers on the trail.  And it was gorgeous!

I figure, why ask for trouble?  Stick to the safe routes that you hear about.

xhristopher

I do a lot of running at night. When I started I tripped a lot but quickly learned you've got to lift your feet more. You can't just shuffle along. It's unsafe. You'll trip on bumps, cracks, and even manhole covers.

Feeling the growl again

One needs to use some common sense running in unfamiliar areas, especially if female or in a foreign country.  I've never been threatened with crime (other than being hit by a car) while running but I don't do dumb things like run in unfamiliar areas very late or very early, or go into obviously bad areas.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

Of course, it does depend on the foreign country. When I ran all over Helsinki a couple years back it was very stress free.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I've been shoved and threatened by some punks (but that was decades before grey hair).

I've also had a 44oz big gulp 1/2 full of ice and soda hit me in the back of the head from a moving car (almost knocked me out).

But the worst threat has been dogs and stupid dog owners. Charging dogs and dog leashes strung across the park path in the dark. If I decided to carry mace, it would be for the dogs (and maybe their humans too).

It seems to me, that a runner, who clearly has no purse or wallet, is not the usual target for robbery. But running through really tough, gang neighborhoods is likely asking for trouble unless its a busy business district. If you stay out of run down poor areas, you are most likely safe during daylight hours in most cities.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

Feeling the growl again

I've been shoved and threatened by some punks (but that was decades before grey hair).

I've also had a 44oz big gulp 1/2 full of ice and soda hit me in the back of the head from a moving car (almost knocked me out).

But the worst threat has been dogs and stupid dog owners. Charging dogs and dog leashes strung across the park path in the dark. If I decided to carry mace, it would be for the dogs (and maybe their humans too).

It seems to me, that a runner, who clearly has no purse or wallet, is not the usual target for robbery. But running through really tough, gang neighborhoods is likely asking for trouble unless its a busy business district. If you stay out of run down poor areas, you are most likely safe during daylight hours in most cities.

Agreed to most points.  But runners seem to attract irrational attention...be it from jealousy or whatever.

My comment on difference of danger man vs woman goes to your comment on not carrying wallet etc....men are not a logical target out running but it's not hard to point to examples of women runners being targeted in secluded areas for reasons unrelated to money.  A co-ed at my university was killed under such circumstances....on a running path perfectly safe during the day but she went there alone after dark.

+1 on the dogs.  I'm on the verge of getting some bear spray simply to teach a lesson to the pack of trailer park dogs on one of my routes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

sillysassafrass

SillySassafrass

I don't know if you are female or not, but I have lived in areas where female runners have been attacked on main bike paths and pulled off into the surrounding woods before other people ran by. This was in the daylight. It was one of the main reasons I got a dog when I first started running, people mess with you less. And I keep her on a leash tied to my waist.

However, these stories are uncommon depending on the location. And the risk isn't any higher than if you are walking alone. But, as a small female, I wouldn't run in some locations that were sketchy.

PR: 5k 22:51 4/12/14; 10k 50:24 7/16/14; 8K 39:10 11/8/2014; HM 1:48:34 7/26/14

lagwagon

I run in a lot of interesting places, and have to say that (having lived there) I found New Orleans to be among the more difficult places to wander yourself into a quality long run.

I'd suggest sticking to daytime running and prefer a well traveled route.  An easy one to follow is along St Charles from the quarter out to Audubon park, and just do laps around the park (and maybe across through Tulane).  Its pretty scenic and relatively safe, just watch our for traffic and street cars.

Wherever you go, have a plan and leave tracks (tell someone your plan or draw up your route, just in case)

NHLA

NO is a very dangerous city. One block the wrong way and you are in trouble. Walk across the greater NO bridge at night and you will hear gunshots coming from the projects below.

Stay where the tourist are (Bourbon st, daulfine st. magazine st ) There is a very high police presence in all the tourist areas also its much safer in the daytime.

My niece had her car window down and got punched out and robbed. FIL got shot at in the mall. SIL home robbed three times. cousin robbed at gunpoint at pick a pac. Somebody tried to steal aunts purse but she would not let go. He drug her three blocks before he gave up and let go but nobody tried to help her. Another cousin tried to go help those poor people after Catrena. They cracked his yuppy head open and stole his BMW.  I was attacted once but I knocked one of them out cold with my old Nikon and the rest ran away..

NO is a dangerous place.

ftmsb

Thanks for the input.  Specific to NOLA, NHLA and lagwagon's responses above are pretty consistent with what I've seen elsewhere.  I'll have to feel it out when I am there and see what looks comfortable.  Anticipate largely running in City Park during daylight hours (which, as near as I can tell, is generally cataloged as "safe").

Per the suggestion above, I did search "runner attacked," and most of the first two pages of results appeared to be animal attacks or sexual assaults, which is about what I expected.  I am male, and while sexual assaults on men are not unheard of, statistically I bet they are pretty rare, particularly when you are talking about attacks by strangers.  At home there are trails I will regularly run alone that my wife won't.  I tend to believe what has been stated above, that runners are about as likely to be the victims of random crime or violence as anyone else.  Maybe it is just that in New Orleans, the chances that "anyone else" will be the victim of random violence is higher than elsewhere.

NHLA

There is a nice trail on the MS river levee. Run thru  jackson square and go to the river. You can go out on trail and back on streets.

I ran there last time I was there. It gives you a break from cars.

The streets in the quarter are one way so at least the traffic is only coming from one way.

Arimathea

Tessa

I'm female and I've run in NOLA during a couple of business trips. Out along St. Charles from Canal Street to Audubon Park and back felt safe. I also took a bus up to Lake Pontchartrain and ran back down Canal to the river. While I had been warned against going through the cemeteries because of crime, I didn't feel unsafe running past them.

Like any other city, stay alert, don't wear headphones or carry items that someone is likely to want to grab from you, if you start feeling uncomfortable turn around and retrace your steps to an area that you feel safer in, carry some money for cab or bus fare back to where you are staying. And carry a map of your proposed route and let someone know where you are going and when you will return.

FWIW, I felt a lot less safe running in Orlando than I did in NOLA, but that was because of the aggressive or clueless drivers and the lack of sidewalks rather than for fear of the people in the streets. And I work in downtown Los Angeles which also has a rep as a dangerous city and there are some places here I wouldn't go at night, but I'll run here during the day. I do run in my reasonably safe suburb in the predawn hours and I was assaulted there while running some years ago.

I feel that running is one of the best places to see a strange city and I'll assume the slightly elevated risk in return for a greater return (sightseeing) rather than sticking to the parking lot or the fitness center of the hotel.

Feeling the growl again

I feel that running is one of the best places to see a strange city and I'll assume the slightly elevated risk in return for a greater return (sightseeing) rather than sticking to the parking lot or the fitness center of the hotel.

+1.  I've had wonderful introductions to Philly, Vienna, Dublin, Amsterdam, and numerous other cities via long runs.