How to prepare for a 1 mile race? (Read 1327 times)

Hawt and sexy

Um, your supposed to do the mile first, all out. The next day you run the half, all out race pace, and then you do a few push ups, right before you cross the finish line.

I'm touching your pants.

Um, your supposed to do the mile first, all out. The next day you run the half, all out race pace, and then you do a few push ups, right before you cross the finish line.

Seems like a solid plan. Probably is more effective when you can run under 69 for the half though. 

Guess it's good for the old physique though.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

I ended up going the psychological comfort route before my race. Two days before I did 4x400m around mile pace (77-80s each) with 200m recovery and then 4x200m a little faster than mile pace with 200m recovery. I think it was helpful to get a little more comfortable with the turnover. I ended up racing a 5:08. Now I want to race another mile, but my fall calendar is full of longer races already. For race day warmup I did an easy mile, some strides, and some butt kicks, skips, lunges, etc.

--

Nashville, TN

I ended up going the psychological comfort route before my race. Two days before I did 4x400m around mile pace (77-80s each) with 200m recovery and then 4x200m a little faster than mile pace with 200m recovery. I think it was helpful to get a little more comfortable with the turnover. I ended up racing a 5:08. Now I want to race another mile, but my fall calendar is full of longer races already. For race day warmup I did an easy mile, some strides, and some butt kicks, skips, lunges, etc.

According to our calculator, with 18:27-5k performance, you should be able to run a mile in 5:20 so you had exceed it by quite a bit.  Congratulations!!  

That said, however, there are a few suggestions I could offer:

Suppose this mile WAS your target race, I would suggest something a lot less in volume to prepare.  You had run a fast (at your target pace) run of total of a mile (and some more) only 2 days before the race.  In other words, it's almost like you ran 2 races that week (which a lot of well-trained elite middle distance runners do).  Usually, 2 days before is not a good one; it usually takes 48-hours to recover particularly from a fast workout, not the day after.  So ideally, it would have been better if you did the above mentioned workout 3 days before with 2 easy jog days before your race.  The week of the race, it would have been better if you did something more on the line of 3-4 X 200m FAST; perhaps a race or time trial (run quite hard) of 800m (600-1200m) about 7-10 days before.  

Looking at some of the responses, I can't help but think that most people don't quite understand the difference between workouts that WORK YOU to race vs. workouts that GET YOU READY for a race.  It is quite common for a miler to do such workout as 15 X 400m or some sort of ladder like 3 X 400 + 3 X 800 + 5 X 200...something like that with good volume of fast runs.  But those are a kind of workout that would have had to be done weeks before.  Just as you wouldn't run 20+ miles the week of the marathon, you don't want to exert yourself with such workouts the week, or a few weeks leading up to, of the race.  In your case, however, I'd say that you didn't quite do such PREPARATORY workouts that you needed to do that somewhere, which happened to be 2 days before.  But I'd say, once again, that you probably would have done much better if you had some good structure leading to the race(s) so you wouldn't have to scramble things together a few weeks before the race.  It seems to me, your stamina is your weakness--with 18:27 level, you should be able to run the half marathon a few minutes faster and, with 5:08 mile, you should be able to run a 5k in 17:35 (and 1:20 half).  But I'd put my foot in my mouth and say that you should be able to crack 5-minutes easily if you "do it right".

Ilene, here's a timely article from RW on doing a "harder" warmup:  

http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/08/10/more-support-for-aggresive-pre-race-warm-up/?cm_mmc=NL-TrainingExtra-_-1017096-_-08212012-_-Be-%27Aggressive%27

Good luck and enjoy

The late Ron Daws, in his last book, "Run Your Best" published back in 1985, he had suggested to include a fairly hard 200m in your warm-up.  For shorter races, or when you know you would start out fairly fast at the start, you would create "anaerobic pathway" with 200m run to get your body ready for such a stress.  In fact, I used this a few years back with a young lady I was coaching to be an 800m runner and she actually could tell the difference in her workout/time trial/race immediately.  However, as I'd said, this is for a race that you'd expect to start out fairly hard like 800m or a mile or even a 5k.  If you're RACING a 5k not much faster than your training run, you'd be better off not do it so you WON'T start too fast.  

I'm a bit surprised, as smart of a man as Scott Douglas, that he didn't know about this.  Or, as smart of a man as he is, he pretended that this is a "new discovery" or "newly-discovered research" to get attention...??? ;o)

Actually, I'd agree with Willamona.  A rule of thumb (of course, it's just a "rule of thumb", or I may get criticized for generalizing...) is; that it's okay to do a fast run or a race the day before a long easy aerobic run; but it's not okay to do a long run the day before your fast run or a race.  A long run tend to tighten up your muscles.  That's the kind of condition you do not want to have if you don't want to face the possibility of getting injured.  It's alright to go for a long easy aerobic run the day after the race--if anything, that'll slow you down and you'll be warmed up by the time you go a half way anyway.  

Now I'm not sure about the push-up part though...

Why is it sideways?

Good stuff, Nobby! Smile

There's the training to prepare for a 1 mile race, the warmup to prepare for a 1 mile race, which have been pretty well described here.

But to mentally prepare for a 1 mile race...to know what it's going to feel like - I think that, like any distance, just comes from experience, from actually racing them. I think that's the scary part for someone who maybe has never raced a mile...what's it going to be like? How do I do it? (not so much race strategy, but how do I know that I'm doing it right) - which is a legitimatly scary thing, as it's such a compressed race - it happens so fast - that mistakes are amplified, etc., and all of a sudden it's over and you're like - 'wait a minute, what happened? I want a do-over! I nailed those intervals 2 weeks ago!'

Intervals and such get you used to the speed, and maybe the fatigue, but, the only way to remove the mystery about what it's going to be like is to do it for reals.

I have extremely limited (but recent) experience with this distance. Whatever I write is probably romantic nonsense, so take it with a grain.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Hawt and sexy

HA! Nobby agrees with me! I haz won the internetz. Christian Hesch did that recently. I know, a random nobody, but hey, we are at the time of year where we hear more about local elites as those who can compete internationally are recovering from some big event in London. The mile race and the half were a day or a day and a half apart. And the push ups are for flair. I think he said something about not taking running so seriously all the time. Ilene has been winning age group awards for so long now, she needs to add flair.

But if she is really doing a half the day before the mile, I got nothing.

I'm touching your pants.

#artbydmcbride

Well there is a half marathon I wanted to race that is the day before the mile race....but on the advice of many here and in my real life, I have decided to volunteer at that 1/2 instead.   Cool

Gville, you are so right, what it will be like is the mystery!

Runners run

BatmanThePirate

A good one that my coaches have us do are 3 to 4 sets of 400m with 1 minute of rest in between. The 400s should be at mile race pace and you get about 5 minutes in between sets.

an amazing likeness

Well there is a half marathon I wanted to race that is the day before the mile race....but on the advice of many here and in my real life, I have decided to volunteer at that 1/2 instead.   Cool

Thank goodness, I'm getting very, very tired....I'm old, ya know. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

#artbydmcbride

Well, it turned out they had a mock 10k that I could run instead of the half, so I did that.   Cool

Yeah, getting old is rough.........so I hear.   Big grin

Runners run