quick iron fix? (Read 890 times)

the other day I had an itch on my leg and was scratching it through my pants. Well, later on when I looked, the entire side of my leg was bruised really bad. So, I can feel it. I know my iron is low. I ran out of floradix last week and dh is picking up some more today. ANy other ideas on how I can get a jump on this? I eat a lot of iron rich foods, or so I thought, but if you have some more ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Jennifer mm#1231

the other day I had an itch on my leg and was scratching it through my pants. Well, later on when I looked, the entire side of my leg was bruised really bad. So, I can feel it. I know my iron is low. I ran out of floradix last week and dh is picking up some more today. ANy other ideas on how I can get a jump on this? I eat a lot of iron rich foods, or so I thought, but if you have some more ideas, I'd appreciate it.
      Here's a list I found of iron rich food

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Bruising is from insufficient or inactive platelets. Platelets do not rely on iron. Your body is very picky about absorbing iron. You cannot absorb iron very quickly. The only way to get in a lot of iron very quickly is to get a blood transfusion. Regularly eating iron rich foods is generally your best bet. I am not convinced, on the basis of a bruise, that you are iron deficient.
          Bruising is from insufficient or inactive platelets. Platelets do not rely on iron. Regularly eating iron rich foods is generally your best bet. I am not convinced, on the basis of a bruise, that you are iron deficient.
          oh good...I think? so what's the dealio with platelets? and maybe I'm just over analyzing this. I'm at the peak of training so I'm guessing my body is just stressed.

Jennifer mm#1231

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Indeed. Overtraining can stress you and increase your body's natural steroids which can supress your immune system and may contribute to bruising. Overtraining can also supress red blood cell production which can mimic iron deficiency, but is not. Kooky would tell you that if you are having excessive bruising that you should get a blood count done by your doctor just to rule out big problems that are unlikely, such as a disease called ITP...
              Don't make me commit the cardinal sin. Googling a random disease. Dead I'm almost positive it's just over training. Next week is my down week and I think I'll rest up more than planned.

Jennifer mm#1231

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ha! ITP. Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura. Nasty name. All it means is that your platelets drop really low for no good reason. Usually just an annoyance. But if bruises keep coming, I'd get your counts checked. Otherwise, go out and run that race!
                  Here's a list I found of iron rich food
                  ok. looking at the top of that list... Cockles boiled 28mg 155% 50 Black Pudding 20mg 111% 300 Liver 9mg 50% 190 Fish Paste 9mg 50% 170 Faggots 8.3mg 46% 270 what in the world are cockles and are we even allowed to say faggots? Shocked Tongue Who knew they'd be so high in iron!

Jennifer mm#1231

Speaking of bruising. My 5 year old dd fell (not really hard either) on the steps at a play ground almost 2 weeks ago. She got some real nasty bruises (elbow, knee and hip area. Bruises are just finally going away. She's DEFINETLY not anemic!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Trent...I bruise really easy, too. I have been anemic at times in my life (like my first year of college when all the veggies were cooked to slime, so I avoided a lot of greens). I don't know if the two things are related. I do know that a few years back I had scheduled surgery and avoided aspirin for months beforehand, as instructed. Even so, after I came out of anesthesia the nurses were very concerned. They nearly gave me a transfusion because I bled so much. I have always bruised very easily and my blood pressure is pretty low, too (I have to be careful not to stand too fast). What would cause this? No doctor has ever encouraged me to have any specific testing done, but if there is risk of something being wrong that can be treatable, I'd definitely want to treat it. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If your platelets are normal and you have longstanding issues with bruising and bleeding, you may have a problem with platelet activation. There are a number of such diseases, but the most common is one called Von Willibrand disease. It is a simple blood test to check for this. This is a genetic disease that causes problems with platelet activation and bleeding. This is reasonable - http://www.louisianahemophilia.org/von_willibrands.htm ...not to medicalize everything...
                          ok. looking at the top of that list... Cockles boiled 28mg 155% 50 Black Pudding 20mg 111% 300 Liver 9mg 50% 190 Fish Paste 9mg 50% 170 Faggots 8.3mg 46% 270 what in the world are cockles and are we even allowed to say faggots? Shocked Tongue Who knew they'd be so high in iron!
                          Hehe. Plus in the UK, I believe they cause lung cancer.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, that's interesting. I might ask my PCP about that next time I'm in. Good thing I don't do any contact sports. Probably best that I don't take up inline skating again, either. Last time I did that I had a BAD fall and was covered in bruises up one side of my body. I have endometriosis and that was always believed to be the cause of my heavy periods, but now I wonder if there could be other factors at work, too. That link and my bruising/bleeding issues certainly point to the possibility of there being more to it than just the endo. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If it is Von Willebrand, you owe me an ice cream. Chocolate. Cool
                                Hehe. Plus in the UK, I believe they cause lung cancer.
                                can you imagine trying to eat a cigarette aka faggot? ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson