No running on Cipro? (Read 1548 times)

( I figure there is some, but it is not clear to me how common these tendon problems are)?

read my log.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

Prince of Fatness

read my log.

I don't see anything in there about Cipro.  Got a specific time period that I should be looking at?

Not at it at all. 

Not dead. Yet.

Anyhow, I searched around and never really got a definitive answer on the running.  Google just gives you a bunch of "sky is falling" hits.  If I were to cut back on the running but not cut it out completely, what is the risk ( I figure there is some, but it is not clear to me how common these tendon problems are)?

I was on it for 7 days right before/during my first HM.  I saw all of the scary hits on Google so I spoke to my doctor (who runs marathons).  He said not to worry, that the problems they describe are mostly for older people or people that are on it for much longer periods of time.  I felt like maybe I was more sore than normal when I was on it, but it's hard to tell if the extra soreness was real or just placebo.  Ran a pretty hard race and didn't injure myself.  I know I 'm just one person's experience though.. 

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I was on it for 7 days right before/during my first HM.  I saw all of the scary hits on Google so I spoke to my doctor (who runs marathons).  He said not to worry, that the problems they describe are mostly for older people or people that are on it for much longer periods of time.  I felt like maybe I was more sore than normal when I was on it, but it's hard to tell if the extra soreness was real or just placebo.  Ran a pretty hard race and didn't injure myself.  I know I 'm just one person's experience though.. 

I'm a doctor. I run marathons. Don't run while on cipro or levaquin. Even if you are not old. Ask for a different med.

Prince of Fatness

I'm a doctor. I run marathons. Don't run while on cipro or levaquin. Even if you are not old. Ask for a different med.

I don't have a problem with not running for a week or so.  This is the second antibiotic that I am on for this (don't have the other in front of me, it is home).  I will call the doctor later today to see if there are any alternatives.

Not at it at all. 

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I was faced with this same issue when I had  pneumonia last summer and I did a lot of research - not just Googling either. I actually pulled the scientific literature from my university library's databases. Some of the research suggests that while the risk  of tendonitis and tendon rupture is greatest while taking the medication and for the first week or two after treatment, an increased risk remains for as long as 6 months. The risk is pretty small in any case, but man it would suck to be on the short end of the statistic. Sad

#artbydmcbride

Will Keflex cure an ear infection?

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

good timing as I am heading in today to get my ears and lungs looked at.  Shall we place bets on the prescription today?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

when I had Cipro my dr said no more Prostitutes.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

when I had Cipro my dr said no more Prostitutes.

Yeah, you might pull something.

Chantilly75

I had achilles problems after using cipro about 10 years ago. Did not know about the precaution, so I had been doing the usual "heel dips" on the stairs, and could hardly walk for a week.  It took months before I felt my achilles were back to normal.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Uh-oh. I was prescribed cipro yesterday evening. I've taken two 500 mg tablets already. I'll call my doctor's office as soon as they open to ask for a different med--should I be concerned about the small amount I've taken?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Should be okay, but get a med change...

#artbydmcbride

Should be okay, but get a med change...

TRENT is ALIVE!!!!!

Runners run

HCH

What is the half life on Cipro and how long do the risks persist after you stop taking it?

Two weeks ago, I went to urgent care after developing a nasty infection in my foot after post-marathon. They drained an infected toe, and the doc gave me an Rx for Cipro (since I'm allergic to amoxocillin.) She called me back a couple days later to tell me that the culture was positive for a bacteria covered by Cipro and to implore me to take the whole course of it, which I of course did. It healed, and now I've been off the Cipro for nearly a week. Is it safe to run? Is it safe to do resistance training?

In all honesty, if I had known how dangerous Cipro was, I would have asked for amox and washed it down Benadryl. I'd rather itch than rupture a tendon. The doctor was very glib about the risks since she knew there was no way I could run with a hot foot.

Only 26.2 miles more to go.