overtraining even though im a new runner?? (Read 1159 times)

ok i have a question, i am fairly new to running, only been doing it since about april 1. I have run two 5ks in the last month and LOVE it anyways, i have a lofty goal of running a 1/2 marathon by septemer/october. i downloaded a hahigdon program and he says to take mon/fri off for rest. well this weekend i ran more than normal ( you can check out my log) and i really should take today off, but i feel ok, except for a little knee pain. would it really hurt to just run 3 miles? or should i just stick to the elliptical to get some cardio in. I have read so much about preventing injury, but i really feel up for the run. any opinions?
      I'd say if you have knee pain then rest. Also looking at your log the thing most likely to cause you injury is not your distance/number of days running but the pace you are running at. if you are racing at 5.37 per km over 5km then you need to be doing most of your easy/long runs at much slower pace than that. you are doing most of it at 6.00 per km (ish) which i'd say is too fast. by all means run once or twice a week at that pace but you need to be doing more running at around 6.30 pace.
      vicentefrijole

but i feel ok, except for a little knee pain. would it really hurt to just run 3 miles?
        Don't do it! Shocked Big grin Okay, that's just my opinion... but I've had to make decisions like this before and I've found that when I get in the habit of pushing my luck just a little too much I end up injured... and then I can't do anything for a couple months... I've only recently gotten a little better about "respecting" my rest days... So I say, if you've gotta run today, do that 3 miles REALLY slow and easy (and turn around walk home immediately if anything feels bad)... but if you're gonna do it that way, you might as well stick with the eliptical and be healthy. Big grin Other opinions?
          i feel ok, except for a little knee pain.
          Reminds me of a quote from me before any knee injury I've ever gotten. (three bad injuries, same knee). That's all I'll say. And actually, new runners are at a higher risk of "overtraining" because you get in shape much faster than your body adapts to the constant pounding of regular running.
          Scout7

Agree with all the advice so far. A) Slow down the training runs. B) Be very careful about increasing daily, and weekly, mileage. The 10% rule, while generally a rule of thumb, is still a good one. Could you do? Sure. BUT, you need to weigh that against the increased possibility of injury.
              I'd probably run. I've done a lot of runnig with *a little* knee pain. I recover better with a really easy run than I do with no run. But then again I am a boob.

Runners run

Scout7

You're also not a new runner. You know when your body is having aches and pains, and when it's something more serious. Not to knock kr at all, but I think that it takes some time to determine when that pain in your *insert limb here* is from the fact that you're exercising, or from overdoing it a little. Is the knee pain a dull aching, or does it tend towards the sharp and stabby side of things?
                  Yes, good to be cautious as a new runner. As I said, I am a boob.

Runners run

Reminds me of a quote from me before any knee injury I've ever gotten. (three bad injuries, same knee). That's all I'll say. And actually, new runners are at a higher risk of "overtraining" because you get in shape much faster than your body adapts to the constant pounding of regular running.
                    So true - cardiac fitness gets there first. Hardest thing for me to get into my head was that taking rest days or even extra rest days when something hurts is way less painful then having to sit out for weeks, or months....

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

madness baby

Hey Kerry, I think being new to running is when its easiest to overtrain! I remember being in the same place you are, with a little bit of knee pain but just wanting to get out there. Don't do it. Running will feel better tomorrow (and the rest of the week,and before that half this fall) if you take rest today. I'd do the elliptical or the bike. Oh, and I guess Mike is a boob? What is going on here?
                      deb

Slow-smooth-fast

Believe me if you feel a little knee pain, take the day off. That's what it started with for me, and I had to take nearly 3 months off. It lead to IT Band syndrome, and I am still not 100%. "Prevention is better than cure!! Take it slow, don't overtrain and get the base miles in, you don't wanna run out of gas early on!! Good luck and enjoy!!

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Don't do it! Shocked I've been running for a year and a half now and so should know better, but I went ahead and ran with that "little pain". I even raced a half marathon with it. And here I still sit. Yesterday the doctor said best case, another two weeks. If that doesn't get it then it's looking like I won't be running much this summer. Cry BTW. I felt "up to my run" even as I was limping to the start line, popping Advil and rubbing on the Biofeeze. Wink Teresa
                          RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Well take this with a grain of salt but like I always say everyone is different. I tend to run with minor injuries but can kind of tell when I think it is more serious then that. If I think it is serious I might take an extra day or two off but most of the time I run with the minor stuff. However, looking at your log you don't seem to be giving yourself or more importantly your knee any time off. Your log looks great to tackle that 1/2 marathon. I would take a day or two off and be on the safe side. Like others have said you will feel better on the next run anyway. With all of the people who wish they didn't run with that knee pain you should probably take their advice. If you looked way behind or if the race was right around the corner I might push you the other way but in this case take the time off. It can't hurt. My two cents.
                              2011 Goals:
                              Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                              Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
                              Hi Kerry Big grin One thing to remember with running is that it incorporates the use of tendons and ligaments, which adapt MUCH slower to exercise than say, lifting weights. Muscles tear and repair, tendons and ligaments will only adapt to your running program over time. Slowly. That is why many seasoned runners discourage new runners from running marathons within their first year. Rest days are just as important as training days. If you don't take them, you risk injury. It's really that simple. Smile
                              ---- Cynthia
                                That is why many seasoned runners discourage new runners from running marathons within their first year.
                                I've really never heard this before. I started running in January 2005 and ran my first marathon in October 2005 ... I've heard that if you follow the 10% rule, you'll be fine Smile
                                2009: BQ?