The loneliness of a marathoner's wife (Read 825 times)

btb1490

I saw this story posted on another forum and thought it was a good read. Click here
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Very good read! Hmmm...I think I need some inspirational screen savers! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

stimulating conversation giving way to mind-numbing race stories ("and then I put the other foot in front")
        Classic.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Scout7

Heh. Nice.
            Great story. I know my wife feels this way sometimes. Last night was our 10th anniversary and it was a running night. I only went 4 miles but made sure it was a tempo run to be home as fast as possible.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

jdmcgregor

All business

So true. Great article.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Emailed this to my wife with the subject, I'm not as bad as this woman's husband, am I? Her response: Your getting there. It wouldn't be so bad if our kids were not so young and needy. But I take the good with the bad.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Emailed this to my wife with the subject, I'm not as bad as this woman's husband, am I? Her response: Your getting there. It wouldn't be so bad if our kids were not so young and needy. But I take the good with the bad.
                  Ouch.
                    You'd better start doing more good. Smile (so she doesn't change her mind)

Michelle

Marriage is certainly full of compromises. I've always worked out at night, after dinner but, before I make the lunches for the next day. I work a lot of weekends so, it's been hard to run many road races. Running costs $$ & has to accomadate the family budget. I'll buy a new pair of running shoes when needed but, the purchase of a Garmin won't happen any time soon. I'd rather run a half marathon than a 5K because generally the entry fee is cheaper per mile. A full marathon is even a better bargain, usually only $10 more than the half marathon run the same day. Running + marriage will make you nuts.
                        It's been a painful process but my husband is slowly accepting my running and I'm slowly accepting his lack of respect for it. At the end of the day we still go to bed just as in love as the day before. Big grin Great article, this is my favorite part....So, to anyone whose partner is discovering running religion, let me say this: Eventually - because there's no other choice if you want your relationship to survive - you'll learn to draw the ice baths, launder the sweaty socks and swallow the mantras. You may need therapy to get there but, one (training rest) day, you'll wake up, wrap your arms around your brand new man or woman and say to yourself: "My runner is fit, happy, passionate, fulfilled, loving, and still here. What more, really, could anyone ask for?"

Michelle

It's been a painful process but my husband is slowly accepting my running and I'm slowly accepting his lack of respect for it. At the end of the day we still go to bed just as in love as the day before. Big grin
                          Yup. Both take a lot of work. Both are worth working out. My wife's frugal, I tell her a pair of running shoes is cheaper than a coronary.
                            Ouch.
                            Nah, she's just bustin' my chops. She admits I do a good job of not letting running interfere with my real life...unless I'm in the final few weeks before a marathon of course.

Runners run

I tell her a pair of running shoes is cheaper than a coronary.
                              How true! I pay for anything relating to my running out of my own money...and, I have an aunt that spoils me and likes to buy my running shoes for me, so that helps. Cool

Michelle