What's the weather like where you are? (Read 2090 times)

mikeymike

Today I went for a lunchtime run along the beach in South Boston with a couple of coworkers. It was 65 and sunny. I sort of wish I were kidding. Sort of because it felt nice, but it just felt wrong. There's acutally a thunderstorn forecast for tomorrow. A thunderstorm. In December. This is just wrong. I fear we've messed up this planet beyond repair.

Runners run

Now that was a bath...

Well here in New Zealand today is the first day of summer! Unfortunately though we have monsoons today but it's still warm though very humid. At the moment I can barely see out of the window for all the rain. Forecast for the week... Rain today (it's already Friday here) and 60F Rain on Saturday and 64F Cloudy on Sunday and 68F Rain on Monday and 71F They can't make up their mind for Tuesday but the smart money would be on ... rain. No wonder this place is so green! New Zealand's Maori name is Aoetearoa and that means 'Land of the long white cloud' - so true. Despite the low summer temps we also have Sunsmart warnings of 10 (the maximum) from between 11 & 4am every day this coming week. New Zealand is situated just above the hole in the ozone layer and burn times are faster here than other places. Sunsmart ratings tell us how bad the hole is affecting us at any particular time. Funny that some of your temps are higher than ours and we are in Summer! Claire xxx
    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think I would like NZ...those temps sound perfect! I hear Chicago is going to be slammed with a massive Winter storm. They are actually cancelling flights for tomorrow AM now...and the storm hasn't even started. Glad I got my run in this AM, since our forecast for tomorrow calls for "Friday...Heavy snow. A chance of thunderstorms until midday. Snow accumulation 8 to 14 inches. Temperatures steady in the lower 30s. North winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts to around 35 mph. Chance of precipitation 100 percent." Blech. Snow AND thunderstorms...welcome to MI. Don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes. Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

N. Texas temps went from rainy and 77F yesterday afternoon to snow/sleet mix and 27F this afternoon. Wind is howling, geesh, if you Canadians want to visit...that's great, next time take a plane and leave the weather home! Although, it is [queue's music] beginning to look a lot like Christmas.. Tongue Clowning around Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

And temperatures between 20 °C and 25 °C during the days (sorry, no idea what this means in °F).
            That would be below 75F, perfect weather. Here in San Francisco Bay area we have cold mornings, around freezing but by mid day we are getting into the 60's F (which would be mid teens in Celsius). And the sun is just great, not a cloud in the sky but wait a few weeks and we'll be probably tortured by endless rains and winds. For now it's just great!
            I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
              Well here in New Zealand <....> At the moment I can barely see out of the window for all the rain. Forecast for the week... Rain today (it's already Friday here) and 60F Rain on Saturday and 64F Cloudy on Sunday and 68F Rain on Monday and 71F xxx</....>
              So do you run a lot in the rain? If so how do you keep your feet from getting blisters? I tend to be a wimp so when it rains hard I hop to the local YMCA and jump on a treadmill. This year I promised myself to run outside no matter what, well, maybe not if we have an earthquake.
              I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                Here is Atlanta we have been having nice warm temps in the 60's & 70's, but there is a front coming through now that will take us to the 20's/30's at night and the 40's/50's during the day.
                http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Alan, that's pretty much what we were having for weather until today. I don't mind that too much, as long as it's not windy and/or rainy. k

~ Sarah Kay

Now that was a bath...

So do you run a lot in the rain? If so how do you keep your feet from getting blisters?
                    So far I have only ran in heavy rain once and fortunately my distance at the time was so short that blisters weren't an issue. Living in NZ it will be hard to avoid rain for long though. I hadn't really thought about blisters and rain before - but it seems logical now that you mention it.
                  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                      Here in Tucson, the temps are getting down in the mid-30s at night and up to the 60s-70s during the day. That is also the forecast for the next week or so. We just got our first freeze on Thursday, though, so it's been fun to adjust to the cooler temps. Thursday was absolutely brutal--high of only about 49, which is quite chilly when you're used to temps in the low 80s.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thursday was absolutely brutal--high of only about 49, which is quite chilly when you're used to temps in the low 80s.
                        Stifles chuckle. Wink That is seriously like the perfect temp for running, though...you can wear long pants and a lightweight long-sleeved top and be perfectly comfy for a long run without needing much in the way of hydration as long as you won't be out more than about 90 minutes. As long as it's not windy and/or raining I live for that weather. I'd be a happy girl if our weather was always in the 45-55º range. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

Stifles chuckle. Wink That is seriously like the perfect temp for running, though...you can wear long pants and a lightweight long-sleeved top and be perfectly comfy for a long run without needing much in the way of hydration as long as you won't be out more than about 90 minutes. As long as it's not windy and/or raining I live for that weather. I'd be a happy girl if our weather was always in the 45-55º range. Smile
                          I agree it is the perfect temperature for running, except we had a wind that would nearly knock you over. I'm used to running in the high 40s/low 50s, even in this low humidity, but a high of 49 puts the lows in the 20s for the time when I normally run. Factor in that wind, and ouch.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, wind makes ALL the difference this time of the year. Not only does it make running more difficult, but that wind chill factor is not so nice. If you bundle up it's not so bad, though. I think I'm going to take my MIL up on her offer of one of my FIL's old balaclavas, though. And after I run I can go rob a convenience store! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Dog-Love

In Juneau we just got thrgh a week of sub 10 degrees and now things have warmed up to the high 20s plus we got a bonus of 2 feet of snow in 48 hours. That's on top of the 44 inches of snow we got the week before that. I have been shoveling and not running so my arms are getting the workout that my legs used to. Me and my kids are going out this afternoon to make snowmen that look like us. Mine will have running clothes on. I haven't run in a week and I am going later on whether my arms are tired or not!
                              Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                                Lows in the hi teens highs in the low 30. Overcast with a light wind and windchll.Lgith snow Friday but mostely rain We had 58 mph winds Thrusday into Friday night. Lost 2 big trees along our creek that I'll need to clean up and pull down what is left. BUT the ground still too soft to get in there with my tractor and a log chain. The cold has me stopped right now as I am just getting over really bad chest cold. Can't see me running in sub freezing weather with a hacking caugh. The past 2 months have been from hell health wise! But I better start soon no matter what. 152 days to the HM

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire