What celebrity deaths have affected you? (Read 349 times)

muppy

I was crushed when Jerry Garcia died, after following the Grateful Dead around for years. Who knew I could still live without Jerry?

princess di

Will run for scenery.

Danny Devito, Dennis Franz... same difference, and they're both alive. lol

And Abe Vigoda.

http://www.abevigoda.com/

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Slo

Ted Kennedy

Died of brain cancer. My dad had been diagnosed in 2008, Ted died Aug 2009, Dad in July 2010.

Ted's death was a good look at what we were going to face.

BeeRunB

I have an experience  on occasion where a celebrity dies and I'm thinking "he died already a few years ago." Or I see an old celebrity (like Kirk Douglas) show up at the Oscars, and I'm thinking "I remember him dying."  I'm either having some parallel reality experiences, or it's just an aging brain. Either way, it affects me in a weird sort of way. In the "feet of my brain are on the ground" category, I would have to say Elvis, John Lennon, Gilda Radner, John Belushi, John Candy, George Harrison, Freddie Prinze, Terry Kath (Chicago guitarist), and Judy Garland. I hate when the potential for more great music and laughs stop. Judy Garland died when I was nine, and it was hard to imagine that Dorothy was dead. I remember being on vacation in New Hampshire when I was 7, and hearing on the TV that Martin Luther King was killed. I didn't know who he was, but it was the first time I heard the word assassination. In 1971, that song and sound collage "What the World Needs Now Is Love/Abraham, Martin, and John" by Tom Clay came out, and that's when all the assassinations in the 60's hit home (at age ten).

The song collage (worth a listen--it did make the top ten):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEyFxPD8KBc

DoppleBock

I am with the "none" crowd ~ There are a small number that the world is a little darker place without them.  Now there are a large number of people I know and care about whose passing makes my world a much darker place in their absense.

Most celebs are like sports figures ... they entertain me and when they are gone ... someone else will fill that entertainment gap.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Jackie Chan

Luckily for you then, he is not dead.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I skimmed the thread and didn't see mention of him...but sorry if I missed it - Jim Henson. I was 17 at the time...and I remember I was in art class when I found out. I cried a lot. He formed my childhood, and still being a child, or transitioning out of childhood anyway...it hit me hard for some reason.

Later that day we learned that Sammy Davis Jr. also died that day...that didn't affect me at all emotionally...except now whenever I think of Jim Henson I think of Sammy Davis Jr...

Menace to Sobriety

Bruce Jenner.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

xhristopher

Luckily for you then, he is not dead.

Don't be so certain. It's on the internet!

Feeling the growl again

Then that means Justin Bieber is gone with him.  Score!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

xhristopher

Throw in the Cardasheions and you've got a deal.

Feeling the growl again

Throw in the Cardasheions and you've got a deal.

The thought I've been having, both with the royal baby and with Princess Diana coming up in this thread, is that it would be a LOT easier to have some fun at our British friends' expense if it were not for the Kardashians.  At least there is some sort of legitimate history behind the royals.

joescott

I am with the "none" crowd ~ There are a small number that the world is a little darker place without them.  Now there are a large number of people I know and care about whose passing makes my world a much darker place in their absense.

Most celebs are like sports figures ... they entertain me and when they are gone ... someone else will fill that entertainment gap.

yeah. this is me, too.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.