Forget to stretch? (Read 679 times)

Go Pre!

Ever have one of those mornings, where you get back from your run, and notice that you are late for work then rush around and forget to stretch? What do you do when you realize later that day? I always find it doesn't feel 'right' when I finally get around to stretching a few hours after the run. Dave
      I'm horrible about that. I have such a hectic schedule there are many times when I run, shower, rush out the door with slightly wet hair still and THEN realize I didn't stretch. When I get back to work I'll take few minutes to do some stretching but it's not the same, and I always worry someone will walk into my office and I'll feel silly (and by silly I mean "look like a dork stretching in work clothes"). My best running days are when I get to run and then take my time to stretch and then do my workout and then stretch some more and then take a nice long shower...without having to watch the clock for any of it.

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

What do you do when you realize later that day? I always find it doesn't feel 'right' when I finally get around to stretching a few hours after the run.
        Some of my recent misadventures in stretching have led me to conclude that in your case, it's better to skip the stretching later. I think stretching cold muscles is worse than not stretching at all... Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Why is it sideways?

Ever have one of those mornings, where you get back from your run, and notice that you are late for work then rush around and forget to stretch?
          Every day. I hardly ever stretch. It never seemed to do any good for me... Are there any other non-stretchers out there? By the way, I'm not usually this disagreeable. I'm usually a peace-loving hippie. I swear.
            I usually don't stretch... although I'm a heel-striker with a comfort pace around 10 min per mile so I doubt I'm exceeding any anatomical limits. Smile
              Are there any other non-stretchers out there?
              :::raises hand::: Here! I used to stretch, but then I got lazy ... and I didn't notice a difference. There is a pretty heated debate (shocking) in the running world about stretching v. not.
              2009: BQ?
                If after my run my legs feel tight I'll stretch, but that hasn't been happing much lately *knock on wood* so I'm lucky if I take a minute or two to strech.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

better to skip the stretch than to do it when your muscles are cold. me? ehn. I try to. I know I should. I do spend a good 10 minutes post run, doing the obligatory stretching. The years in the dojo are fading fast but I still want to be able to kick someone upside the head. So, that's my litmus test...I just ask my tallest kid to stand still and make sure I can still aim for over his head. I promise, no children are hurt in this process. Blush

Jennifer mm#1231

Every day. I hardly ever stretch. It never seemed to do any good for me... Are there any other non-stretchers out there?
                    I rarely ever stretch after my runs either.. I'm usually rushed to get ready for work after my runs as well. I do however, stretch prior to heading out. Since the muscles are usually cold at that point, I do short stretches for 2-3 seconds then relax and repeat 5 or so times. It actually works fairly well to warm me up as I'll sometimes have a very light sweat going when I'm done. There's a term for that method, but it escapes me at the moment.
                    The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. -- Juma Ikangaa, Tanzanian marathoner

Help to defeat Lou Gehrig's Disease. Please sponsor me in The Ride to Defeat ALS. I'm riding in memory of my dad.
                    http://runpebsrun.blogspot.com
                      How do you stretch? I never used to stretch before but usually after. I ddn't think it was good idea to stretch a cold muscle, but I have now been told by a PT, massage therapist and my orthopedic MD(a runner) to aggressively stretch before I run(in light of my current injuries). They are all talking about moving slowly into a stretch and holding it for 20 -30 sec. This is a longer time frame than what I used to do. What do others do?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

They are all talking about moving slowly into a stretch and holding it for 20 -30 sec. This is a longer time frame than what I used to do. What do others do?
                        I've read this recently, too. It makes sense, but I still think it's better to have the muscle warm before any stretching is attempted.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Chris UK

I never stretch. I don't warm up or cool down either Shocked although like voiceofgrog I'm not exactly tearing trees up with pace at the moment.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

There's got to be an element of body mechanics, ratio of muscle size/length to bone, muscle fiber type...The thing that made the most sense to me was something written by Matt Fitzgerald - he said that running was a continuous experiment of one - or something to that effect. Still, it's good to compare notes and see what works for other runners.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What is this stretchin of which you speak?
                                I never stretch, but I do cool down by walking about 5-10 minutes after most runs.
                                Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado