Baystate marathorn (Read 652 times)

Me and my gang in Breck

Baystate Marathorn Oct 14, 2007 Lowell Mass. My first Marathorn. No one told me it was gonna hurt like that after 22 miles. Sorry this report took so long but I'm terrible at stuff like this. All the running calculators said that I could run it in 3:21 so I set a goal of 3:25 because all I wanted to do was run a BQ and that was 3:30:59. This was a very well run race except they could use more portable toilets at the start and on the course. The first mile I ran 8:20 and the half was around 1:40. I was shooting for 1:42 but the running was so easy I had a hard time slowing down. The first 20 miles were a breeze, and I talked to a lot of the runners. This really helped the miles go by quick. There were water stops every 2 miles with water and gatorade and I drank at almost everyone. The next time I'll drink from all of them. I had a GU at the start and 4 more during the race. I don't know if this helps but I wanted to do everything that I could do to help me. By mile 22 things started to get tough. My quads and calves were real sore. The longest I've ever run before this was 20.5 mile and I did this several times but it never hurt like this. My pace dropped off a little at the end but I knew I was close and I just wanted it to be over. Everything in my head was screaming for me to stop. It is really a mental game that you have to play to keep running and keep a good pace. At around 24 miles I was hurting bad and someone on the side of the road told me to drop my shoulders and relax my arms. I was so tight. As soon as I dropped my shoulders and relaxed my arms I felt so much better. I owe this unknown person a world of thanks. The last mile of this course is down hill and all I wanted was this to end so I ran down hill as fast as I could. The course ends in a baseball stadium and you run around the outfield and it ends in front of the dugout. My finish time was 3:24:06 and when I finished I really didn't care about the time, I was just glad that it was over. My wife and 3 kids were at the finish line cheering me on and that was one of the things that helped me to keep running. I didn't want to disappoint them. My wife told me she was getting nervous after 3:21 Smile All the training is tough and my family has been very supportive and there was no way I could let them down. After I had something to eat and started to feel better they started to post times on the board. When I saw my name and time and the BQ * next to it that's when it hit me. It's by far the toughest thing I've ever done. When the race was over I was thinking that I don't ever want to do this again. Now several days later I can't wait for Boston 08. All in all this was a great course. They advertise it as flat and fast and it was. They have a half marathorn that started at the same time as the full and they handle all the people well. Total runners were around 1500. Mark

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Your first and you run a BQ? Words escape me. Fantastic will have to do. CONGRATULATIONS!

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Another Passion

Phenomenal! A far cry from being tired of being fat and miserable. Wink Congratulations! Big grin

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Think Whirled Peas

Shocked DUDE. A BQ to call your first. That. Is. AWESOME!!!!! Well done.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

When the race was over I was thinking that I don't ever want to do this again. Now several days later I can't wait for Boston 08.
            That says it all. Congrats Mark!
            mikeymike

You ran a great race, Mark. See you in Hopkinton on April 21st at the latest--probably at a road race before then.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Nice, Mark!

Go Pre!

huge congratulations AND a huge I AM JEALOUS at the same time Smile way to go - See you (one day) in Boston! D
                  va

Mark, that's so cool that you BQ-ed on your first marathon. Congratulations!
                      Wow. Nice effort. And by snooping in your log, I see you ran a 5 mile race one week later. But what I'm really impressed by is your warmup for the 5 miler. 2 miles in 10:00 Shocked
                        dang! Your fast!!! Thanks for sharing! I assume having your family there put the icing on the cake! Smile

Vim

Me and my gang in Breck

Wow. Nice effort. And by snooping in your log, I see you ran a 5 mile race one week later. But what I'm really impressed by is your warmup for the 5 miler. 2 miles in 10:00 Shocked
                          You caught my typo. I corrected it to 10 min. miles. I wasn't going to run this race but I felt so good and my 2 youngest were running the 1.25 mile fun run before the 5 miler and I said I would run that with them so...... I'm way to easy.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Congrats on: 1. Running a marathon. 2. Running your FIRST marathon. 3. BQing at said marathon. Big grin Awesome, dude, just awesome !!
                            2009: BQ?
                            bas

Amazing! BQ on your first marathon! I don't dare to think what you will do on your second Wink bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East