Chicago Marathon Training and Race Summary - Derek (Read 775 times)

Another Passion

Like Berner said, just finishing that marathon was a victory in and or itself, Derek. And, it's a feat that 99.8% (or probably more) of the rest of the population (me included for the time being) can't say that they have accomplished. You've done something amazing, properly trained or not, under extreme circumstances, and have gained great wisdom from your experience for your next one! Way to go dude! Big grin

Rick
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

derek

I now know where I placed in the field. Of the 35,000 starters, I was 20,158. Among the males, I was 12,490 and in my age group (35-39), I was 2,379 Derek

Derek

Mishka-old log

Derek, I just read through your report. Hopefully with the passing of time your disappointment will fade into appreciation of the learning experience. You thought the weather was 1/2 of the problem, and the other half was poor preparation. Honestly, that's what first marathons are for. The fact that you gutted it out on a day like Sunday tells me you have the spirit of a marathoner. In our culture, very few people do. Congratulations on your achievement.
        RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Nice write up. In my eyes you are a beast. Great job on finishing up the Marathon. I plan on carrying sport beans during my race coming up and was thinking about this same problem. Anyone have a suggestion on how to keep them from melting together?
            2011 Goals:
            Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
            Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
          Jeffrey

You did the best you could under historically awful conditions. This first experience was so tough that its going to make the next one that much better! Best of luck with your training and your Road To Boston.
              I now know where I placed in the field.
              What a strange, strange race. My time was a half-hour slower than Chicago 2006, and yet my field placement (3782) was over 500 spots better, my age group placement (519) over 200 spots better, and my gender placement (2831) almost 800 spots better. That actually makes me feel a bit better. Smile

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Me and my gang in Breck

Derek, I read your report and I hope your not still to disappointed. I think that you did great just making the effort. With temps like that I don't think I could of even started. Their will be other marathorns and they will be better than Chicago 07. Thanks for the great report, Mark

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Congratulations on pushing through and finishing. Under all those circumstances it would have been all too easy to just stop, but you kept on going. Now that you've completed a marathon, and under those conditions, you know how to prepare for your next one and you'll be more than happy with your results. Thanks for sharing what you went through.

Michelle