"I ran 938 miles in March" DoppleBock (Read 1336 times)

Seriously, my mouth dropped when I read that in a post yesterday.  A forum contributer mentioned this yesterday in a post.  (Many people here run a lot, but one of them mentioned a number that caught my attention).

938 miles is more than I drive in my car each month, and I live 20 miles from my office.

I'm guessing that 938 miles would take between 125 hours and 160 hours (or 30 to 40 hours per week) based on an 8:00 to 10:30 minute mile.

So, not specific to any 1 individual who happened to be the one running that much, but more of a general question....

How the heck do people find time to run so much?

Even if it was 1/2 or 1/3 of that amount.

How do people balance life and do it continually for months and years straight?

Between work, family and recreation I (personally) find it hard to get more that 15 hours of recreation time per week.  Even when I do that much, I feel some guilt from taking away from family time.  I couldn't imagine finding an additional 15 to 25 hours per week.

(I think I'm jealous and envious).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

DoppleBock

You don't do it for months straight - I ran

Feb 2010 612

Mar 2010 938

April 2010 750

May 2010 12th OA at World Championship - 2nd scorer on Team USA (Bronze Team Medal)

I had made team USA for 2010 24 hour world championship.  The president of my company gave me 2 weeks extra vacation that I used 1-2 hours per day to train.  I was running 18-20 times a week.  I live 5 minutes from work.  I did not watch TV (Most americans watch at least 20 hours a week).  It was an experiement that my wife was on board with.  I was running 7:45 - 8:00 average when you add in the 2-3 speed workouts a week.  30 Miles a day = 4 hours = 28 hours a week.   I maxed out at 257 miles in a week and also ran 242.  It was really an 8 week period that I ran a minimum of 185 miles with 6 weeks > 200.  I would not do it again.

I do average @ 100 miles a week on 10-12 runs average for the whole year.  100/8:15 = 14-15 hours.  I run most lunch hours (I live 5 minutes from work), I work 45 hours a week on average.  I do not do anything else other than running, activities with my family or activities for church.  My wife crews me for almost all ultras and shorter races we do as a family.  I do not watch TV, unless I am running (TM) or it is with my family.  

As you can tell this always irks me a little (Not you specifically) - But people in general that I know waste 30+ hours a week of their lives with TV, computer, reading, sports leagues, going out with "The guys"  or other hobbies - But those of us that have just 1 hobby and spend the rest of their lives around their family and church are not "Understood"

I have passed up better jobs because I do not care about money - God has blessed me with enough for my needs.  I live 5 minutes from work, church, walmart, the YMCA, Grocery, Kohls, Shopko.  I have a boss that is flexible as long as I get my work done and it really is not that hard to fit in 2 hours a day (Avg) of running.

I run because I am a runner

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

+1  And, your'e a very good one at that!!

Whenever DB shares his training, I feel like such a slacker.  As I know that If the body can handle it and life allows it, most people should be able to fit in 2 hours of running/exercise each day, an hour in the morning/Lunch and an hour in the evening. Working close to home or at home certainly helps.  Driving to a gym or going someplace to run takes up more time than we realize. Race weekends takes up 4-5 hours for  25-60 min of running.

2 X 5 weekdays + 3 X 2 on the weekend gives us 16 hours and at 9 min miles, that is 100 miles a week. While if running 100 miles is ideal for most folks is debatable, finding time to run should not be.

DoppleBock

PS - In my last life I worked between 85 -110 hours a week for over 6 months straight with a 45 minute commute each way.  Running15-20 hour avg / week is really not all that hard.

HermosaBoy

As you can tell this always irks me a little (Not you specifically) - But people in general that I know waste 30+ hours a week of their lives with TV, computer, reading, sports leagues, going out with "The guys"  or other hobbies - But those of us that have just 1 hobby and spend the rest of their lives around their family and church are not "Understood"

I have passed up better jobs because I do not care about money - God has blessed me with enough for my needs.  I live 5 minutes from work, church, walmart, the YMCA, Grocery, Kohls, Shopko.  I have a boss that is flexible as long as I get my work done and it really is not that hard to fit in 2 hours a day (Avg) of running.

Well put!!!

I don't do as many miles as you, but it's the same thing.  I get up and do 20 minutes or so with the dog in the morning and then another run in the evening that is my true workout -- add them all together and the mileage moves up.  I am fortunate to have kids and a girlfriend that are all runners.  Do we have to make adjustments?  Sure, but it's worth it to do something I love (that also makes me feel good).

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Turbolegs

PS - In my last life I worked between 85 -110 hours a week for over 6 months straight with a 45 minute commute each way.  Running15-20 hour avg / week is really not all that hard.

DB .. i mean this with the utmost respect when i say that you are one helluva beast on 2 legs.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

npaden

Let's see.....

Dopplebock runs 14 hours a week at 8:15 avg pace = 102 miles a week.

I run 7 hours a week at a 10:45 pace = 39 miles a week.

For Dopplebock to run 39 miles it would only take him just over 5 hours a week.

For me to run 102 miles it would take just over 18 hours.  Really not too terrible.

I keep telling myself that eventually my pace will improve enough that I should be able to run more miles in the same amount of time.

When you really put it in perspective 2 hours a day isn't that bad.  I tell myself that I'm a really busy person and I could probably add up 5 or 6 hours of "sitting around" time last week pretty easily.  The problem I tend to have is that there are days when other things take a priority and I struggle to get any time in on running. 

With the treadmill at the house it would be a lot easier to start getting in double workouts, that really is where you can start sneaking in some miles.  Maybe I should buy a second treadmill so my wife could run next to me and then we could count that as family time? Big grin

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Run 10 hours a week for 6 months, and our pace will improve.

npaden

One other thing that kills me is commute time.  I live out in the country by choice and I love it, but I spend at least 4 more hours a week in the car than Dobblebock does just going to and from work.  That's some great time you could save if you lived closer to work.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

And everything is relative.  To a lot of my non-running acquaintances, my paltry six mile runs are on a par with running to the moon and back.  Yeah, to me, DoppleBock's running is on a par with running to the moon and back.

Why is it sideways?

The good news: the vast majority of people, even on this board, can improve dramatically on an hour of running a day. It doesn't take 900 miles a month. You'd be surprised how far you can get on 200-250 miles/month, especially if those miles are run with concentration, reflection, and intelligence. 

I guess my take is slightly different than DB's. It always surprises me how much time people are willing to put into their running without much thought or attention to what they could do to get better at it.

Feeling the growl again

It all depends what you are trying to cram in your life.

I can understand DB's "one hobby" focus as I did it.  When I was in grad school (married, no kids, worked a lot but 10min commute) I had absolutely no issues finding 2 hrs/day to dedicate to training.  Heck, for awhile there it was closer to 3 with cross-training thrown in.  So 100-120 mpw was easily achievable despite working 10hrs/a day a lot.  And I still had plenty of time to go out with friends.  I watched almost zero television however.  I rented a house so zero maintenance time.  I could have run more but I was training for different things and giving up intensity to run DB-ish volume would have been counter-productive. 

Once that phase of life was over I got a house with property...had small children...I made a conscious decision to spend less time on running.  If I am running less than 60-70 mpw time is not the reason.  I chose to spend more time on other stuff that I gave up during those earlier years....other hobbies, stuff on my property...and I own now so mowing lawn etc.  I am often told I have "too many hobbies".  Anyone who has seen my property would probably agree with this.  I see nothing wrong with putting all our effort into one or choosing to pursue many.

I did run "almost" DB-ish in December at 550 miles...I would have hit 600 except going out for runs while my wife was in labor would have been a mistake, I think.  Much of my activities that detract from running go away when it is cold so I have extra time.  The 3-a-days started once I had 2 weeks of vacation kick in at the end of the month.

When my kids get older it will be easier to run more...I would love to double by consistently running in the morning but I need a meaningful amount of sleep...I was up at 6:15am this morning to get the oldest on the bus and the other 2 into daycare and be at work before 8, while my wife caught up on sleep since the baby still keeps her up most nights.  I can't get to bed early enough to let me get enough rest and still do that.

I can't imagine the comments DB receives for his training....I was called disturbed or something like that just for doing a treadmill 20-miler.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

The good news: the vast majority of people, even on this board, can improve dramatically on an hour of running a day. It doesn't take 900 miles a month. You'd be surprised how far you can get on 200-250 miles/month, especially if those miles are run with concentration, reflection, and intelligence. 

I guess my take is slightly different than DB's. It always surprises me how much time people are willing to put into their running without much thought or attention to what they could do to get better at it.

One of the things I try to focus on is that every run and every mile should have a purpose. I try to consider how today's run fits with what I did yesterday and hope to do tomorrow, or several days down the road. Sometimes I learn I was wrong about the purpose but it's all part of the learning experience, which continually makes me a better runner.

Considering what DB was training for at the time I'd say all those miles had a purpose and purposeful miles certainly aren't junk miles.

DoppleBock

Depends on Priorities - I have made this my main hobby and do not waste time on other hobbies unless they include the family - Downhill skiing, Boating are the other things we do as a family consistently.  I will play tennis, basketball, volleyball, golf, ride bike etc, if they are family activities.  I actually love all sports - But chose to be singular in my acitvities.

In my next life I will be something of a jack-of-all sports 

Whenever DB shares his training, I feel like such a slacker.  As I know that If the body can handle it and life allows it, most people should be able to fit in 2 hours of running/exercise each day, an hour in the morning/Lunch and an hour in the evening. Working close to home or at home certainly helps.  Driving to a gym or going someplace to run takes up more time than we realize. Race weekends takes up 4-5 hours for  25-60 min of running.

2 X 5 weekdays + 3 X 2 on the weekend gives us 16 hours and at 9 min miles, that is 100 miles a week. While if running 100 miles is ideal for most folks is debatable, finding time to run should not be.