First Half Marathon tomorrow (Read 247 times)

I'm running my first half marathon tomorrow. Still find it hard to believe that I am actually saying that! I started running 3 years ago at 51 and have been pretty steady since I started. My goal is to be a lifelong runner to maintain good health and stay fit. However, 18 months ago I crushed 3 vertebrae in a sledding accident and consider myself extremely fortunate that I recovered enough to restart running -- slowly! Last spring I started a 20 week training program and have recently maxed my weekly mileage at 20, twice. I know I'll be running at a penguin pace, but my goal is to run the whole time and finish. Ive been lurking in the background and paying attention to all your half marathon advise. I'm as ready as I'll every be, just wanted to share this milestone with you. I know when I finish I'll be thrilled with my accomplishment and very grateful for all the advise everyone so freely shares.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Latent Runner

Hey Kathleen,

My wife and I are 56 and 57 respectively and running our first half marathon tomorrow as well.  As you said, we're as ready as we'll ever be and looking forward to the event.

Keep us posted on you did.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
      hog4life

At 53, I can relate. Good luck on getting the first one behind you.

Worn slick but finished under my 3:00 goal with 2:44. I know that sound obscenely slow, but I ran the whole time. Next to childbirth, hardest thing I've ever done. And like post childbirth, give me a little time before asking if I want to do it again.

Shipo - hope it went well for you and your wife.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

You may think your time is slow, but you have ACTUALLY RUN A HALF MARATHON!!  How many people can say that?

You may think your time is slow, but you have ACTUALLY RUN A HALF MARATHON!!  How many people can say that?

+1 ......YIPPEE!!! CONGRATS, half marathoner!! WAY TO GO!!

Latent Runner

Worn slick but finished under my 3:00 goal with 2:44. I know that sound obscenely slow, but I ran the whole time. Next to childbirth, hardest thing I've ever done. And like post childbirth, give me a little time before asking if I want to do it again. 

Many congratulations, a 2:44 is a great time, for a first timer.  As for doing it again, I don't know about your kids, but our kids think we're nuts (for having more than one kid AND for running our first half marathons).  Smile

My wife laid down a 1:49:54.1 placing her 7th out of 108 in the women's 50-59 division; I am so impressed and proud of her.  I managed a no where near as impressive 1:42:13.5 for 13th out of 80 in the men's 50-59 division.  All in all we were very pleased with our times.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                • 2-mile: 13:49
                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Feeling the growl again

Who cares how "slow" it was (the term is completely arbitrary)?  You spanked your goal and ran the whole way.  Congrats.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Don't call yourself slow. It takes a certain amount of nerve and inner strength to go out and run a race.  Well done!

And I think a lot of us need some time after a race to decide we want to do it again. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Slow is a relative concept. If you go the distance, you go the distance.

You guys are great! Thanks for all your encouragement. Just around the corner is the Gobble Grind. This will be my 4th year running it, but rather than the 5k, I think I'll put my long training runs to good use and do the half instead. Hate to waste all that

training. I really am so very proud of me. 

Shipo - congrats to you and your wife on awesome times. Guess we just joined a new club today. Cheers!

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

As others said, it is not about the time. It is the goal and the persistence to pursue it that inspires others. Congratulations.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

onefatchick

One thing I find so appealing about running is each individual can set their own goals, whether it is time or distance-wise, and measure success in their own way.  It really gives one a sense of accomplishment when one can achieve what they set out to do.  It's empowering and uplifting!  Congratulations to all of you!!!  And Kathleen, that is quite an accomplishment just to be able to run after crushing 3 vertebrae- I can not imagine the pain and rehab you had to have gone through.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Great Job 13 miles is a long way.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

One thing I find so appealing about running is each individual can set their own goals, whether it is time or distance-wise, and measure success in their own way. 

First of all, Kathleen and Mr and Mrs Shipo... Well done!  Cheers!

OneFatChick, I think the beauty of running is that it's a game we can play throughout our lives.  Football ends and you must retire.  Baseball, the same.  Soccer, hockey, etc are all the same.

Running activity can last forever and can start whenever.

The beauty is that you measure yourself and your progress.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life