Boston Race Report (Read 848 times)

Due to the length of my report, and to shamelessley promote my blog, you can check out my weekend in Boston at: http://metaoflife.blogspot.com/ For those of you not wanting to read, I finished in 2:49:56 with halfs of 1:26:20/1:23:36
    vicentefrijole

Great performance, Mark D! Your improvements with each Marathon are impressive... I read a little of your Blog and it looks like you'd suggest 'Advanced Marathoning' to get beyond that 3 hr mark, yes? Any particular reason? Any other books you've made good use of? Hope you have a healthy recovery.
        I really enjoyed the Pfitz program. I think that the type of training that it focuses on will improve someone of ANY ability. If you are looking to go sub-3:00 and have a substantial base, I would encourage you to give it a try. I did the 18/70 program. This is a substantial program in terms of time devoted to running. I'm a student and made it work out, but there were times when I'm thinking "Geez, people have full time families & jobs and put this kind of training in." Make sure you (and your significant others) know what kind of commitment you are getting yourself into. In terms of training, I don't care what program it is, but whatever you use you need to be aware of your goal pace. 3:00 is 6:52/mile. One of the things I do when training, particularly as I get deeper into the training, is having an idea each day of which pace corresponds to which finishing time. If I can't hold 7:00 in training, chances are I won't do it in the race. Pfitz features 2 long runs were you run at MP for the majority of the run (12 and 14 miles). These really helped me to focus on the correct pace. The program also uses a nice combination of speed/tempo training with easy days for recovery. The worst part are the mid-week medium long runs that go up to 15 miles. Those can be challenging, but they will help you in the long run. Then you hit taper and you're feeling great! Any other questions? I'm all ears.
        vicentefrijole

I did the 18/70 program. This is a substantial program in terms of time devoted to running. I'm a student and made it work out, but there were times when I'm thinking "Geez, people have full time families & jobs and put this kind of training in."
          Yes, time is a real concern when preparing for these things. I'm a student also (grad at Northwestern), so my schedule has some flexibility, but it's still not always easy to fit a medium distance run into mid-week. I'll take a look at this program though... your advice and success with it makes me very interested in using it for my preparation for Chicago this summer/fall. I saw that you are a swimmer... have you done any triathalons? Preparation for those must be time consuming!

gimme some sugar, baby

CONGRATS MARK! Very impressive time for Boston!!
            George: Runner/Law Student
            www.gimme-five.com
              I saw that you are a swimmer... have you done any triathalons? Preparation for those must be time consuming!
              No not yet Smile but I figure it's only a matter of time and money before I buy a bike and start my assault on the triathlon world. BTW I'm a grad student at Michigan State. Nice to see a fellow Big 10er on here.

You'll ruin your knees!

Mark, Sorry I haven't gotten to reply, but I wanted to be able to read your whole report before doing so. Let's see...AWESOME job on the sub 2:50! I can only dream! Incredible report, great build up with the metamorphosis theme. "Call it divine intervention, call it whatever you like but I turn my head and I see her"...I would have lost it right there! Rest well, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Mark--congrats on a great Boston! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your report--it was very well written, descriptive, and took me back 30 years to when I could last run splits like those. Well done!
                  My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

Was it all a dream?

Mark, great work at Boston. You definitely ran a much better race than I was able to put to together there. And I'm glad to hear the weather finally cooperated after the heat waves the past couple years. I'm actually in week 11 of Pfitz's 18/70 program, so it's good to hear that using that program worked out so well for you. Anyway, congrats again. And btw, I go to school at Illinois, so more props to the Big 10 representation.