2014 Sub 19 5k Thread (Read 341 times)

Congrats, slothful! Awesome job!

I took a shot at it last Friday at a local 5K that was preceded by a kids' "Adventure 1K" obstacle race. So, before the 5K, I chased my 7-yr-old around the course, snapping photos and generally having a great time. I think he's hooked on this running thing!

I then ran my 5K in 19:24. I had a good kick at the end, and there was no puking, so I'm pretty sure I didn't do it right. My expectations were low, so I was pretty thrilled with the result. More chances to come.

Thanks SubDood, and good luck in your efforts! No, I didn't puke after crossing the finish line, but did just about everything short of that...stumbling,  gasping, letting out some donkey brays, and briefly trying to do the tango with a light post (according to a friend who was watching).  Fortunately, I recovered my composure after a minute or so of all that.

Congrats! Time to join me in the sub-18 thread!

Thanks, I may do that! 

Taking a crack at this on Saturday, we'll see how it goes.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Not quite. 19:14. Little too aggressive first mile.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Took my first shot at a 5k today in about 2 years (more of a distance guy and live in a smaller town)....

19:43.  Not too bad because it was a fairly hilly 5k (180 feet up and down) and it was quite warm at the start (upper 70's at the start).

I'll take it.  With a flat course and a cooler day I think I might have shot.  Could also use a few track workout as opposed to long runs and tempo runs.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

djs

Hello all,

I am planning a 5k track race on November 1st this year. Setting goals I think sub 19 might be a reach but is possible. So I'm in!

I ran the same race 4 years ago off about 30 to 40km a week and only one or two quality workouts, however I was only just 50 years old! 4 years later and I've done more kms,  hoping to throw about 80 to 100 km at week at this one. Plus some quality workouts based on Pfitzinger and Douglas Road Racing for Serious Runners..but 4 long years older :-)

First real indication of progress would be early October I'm going to schedule a 10k race (P&D recommend 3k or 2m time trial, 8 or 10k race, and 3k or 2m race in their build up.)

And here's the newbie questions ;-) Pfitz's intervals progress in pace from current 5k pace to 2-3 sec a lap slower than goal pace, to 1-2 seconds a laps slower than goal pace to goal pace over the 12 weeks. The intervals are 600m, 1000m and even 2000m. First question is what do you understand by "per lap" Does that mean for a 1000m set one second less over 1000m? and for 600m 1 second less over the 600m? or is it 1 second per 400m, ie one track lap? Of course that's probably splitting hairs but just interested to know..Second question is this program gives no workouts faster than goal pace, excepting turnover workouts of 100 to 200m. Would it be beneficial to do some sub goal pace interval work?

Ok thanks for listening! Good luck everyone in reaching this goal!

Cheers,

DJS

DigDug2

First question is what do you understand by "per lap" Does that mean for a 1000m set one second less over 1000m? and for 600m 1 second less over the 600m? or is it 1 second per 400m, ie one track lap? Of course that's probably splitting hairs but just interested to know..Second question is this program gives no workouts faster than goal pace, excepting turnover workouts of 100 to 200m. Would it be beneficial to do some sub goal pace interval work?

Yes, one second per lap = one second per 400m track lap.

I like doing some faster than 5k pace intervals.  Here's my favorite 5K workout:  "Deek's quarters", 400 intervals at faster than 5K pace with relatively fast "cruising" 200 recoveries.  The running recoveries are key - this is painful but great training for late in the race.

http://running.competitor.com/2013/12/training/workout-of-the-week-deeks-quarters_12386

djs

Go Deek! If I knew then what I know now, I would have understood how great that guy was. Anyway I gotta try that workout. So ok next week Pfitz only gives me a 3k time trial, I'll work in some Deek quarters earlier in the week. It sounds like fun, in a hurty kind of way!

C-R

Ah. Thanks for rejuvenating the thread.

Took another shot at it this morning = 19:04. Its sad to see the clock roll over as you're trying to get to the line.

Ah well there's a couple of more chances before 12/31

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Took another shot at it this morning = 19:04. Its sad to see the clock roll over as you're trying to get to the line.

Aw crap.  so close!!!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Teresadfp

One day at a time

A HS senior girl just joined my daughter's XC team this fall - she defected from soccer.  Yesterday, in her second XC race ever, she ran the 5K in 18:51.  Not bad!  It will be fun seeing her improve over the season.

Tweeeked

I had that happen to me on my first attempt at sub-19. It sucks but gives you the fire and the confidence to nail it the next time! Good luck!

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
                          • 10k: sub-36
                          • Half: sub-76
                          • Full: 2:45 in Boston
                          jpdeaux

Totally forgot I joined this goal thread. Thanks for reviving it.

I've been running a $2 Wednesday weekly certified 5K for the last 7 weeks. There's some progression: 22:00, 22:11, 22:08, 22:17, then 21:33, 26:10 (6K of track work day before), 21:58, 20:57 (no track the night before).

The weekly race is nice because there's not a great deal of pressure for any given week. If I've got the energy and run it recovered (like last week) I can push the times down. (And on really terrible weather days I can even get 2nd place. Smile ) Most often I've run track the night before and sometimes a long run the previous weekend, so I'm definitely running the 5K's depleted and/or tired. But that's okay because there are plenty of weeks left in 2014 to run a few fresh ones.

Best time so far is 20:57. I've run close to 19:00 at least 3 times in the past, so I know I can get past it this time. It's a matter of keeping a steady mileage buildup (it's up and down while I'm in the closing weeks of marathon training), and maintaining track and/or Wednesday night racing to add the necessary stamina.

djs

Looks like you will graduate soon C-R!

Deek 400s next week DigDug2!

Good news! My local Athletics club is doing Friday night sessions and I am going to go along, they have a 3000 metre this week, and a 5000 in 3 weeks. Might go all out in the 3000 see what happens! And since the 5000 is about a month before goal race will probably go for broke there too! It would be nice to get in the ballpark that would be motivating.. I'd certainly take your time right now C-R..

Good luck all.

jpdeaux

Took another 14 seconds off at our $2 weekly 5K.

20:43 and still heading in the right direction.