Since nearly no one is talking about it... (Read 1266 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Oh. And Chopped too.

xor

You are a cookist.

Prince of Fatness

I watch Chopped too.  For some reason I am fascinated by it.  Restaurant Impossible too.

Not at it at all. 

everyone is different.  this is the kind of crap I post on facebook. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I watch Chopped too.  For some reason I am fascinated by it.  Restaurant Impossible too.

My 13 year old DD and I play a game in which we give each other imaginary Chopped baskets and see what the other would make with them.

Here's one:

- watermelon

- lime

- forbidden black rice

- crawfish

Make a dessert.

GO!

(Yeah, Restaurant Impossible too, sheesh)

Best Present Ever

I thought the news coverage was quite a bit more dramatic and extensive for CO, complete with half or more of the nightly news devoted to it for nearly a week, changed graphics/music for the Today show ("Massacre in Colorado"/ sad music, everyone wearing black), a presidential press conference, and more than a few Special Reports.

Of course, I don't watch cable, so maybe I don't know what the eff I'm talking about, but that was my experience.

This was my impression.  My news all comes from NPR and on-line newspapers so I missed the graphics/music, but the first 48 hours at least seemed much less intense in the latest shooting.  I think there was far too much coverage of the Colorado shooting -- for a while, they were looking for 'news' rather than reporting useful facts.  

And I'd "like" that.

I thought the news coverage was quite a bit more dramatic and extensive for CO, complete with half or more of the nightly news devoted to it for nearly a week, changed graphics/music for the Today show ("Massacre in Colorado"/ sad music, everyone wearing black), a presidential press conference, and more than a few Special Reports.

Of course, I don't watch cable, so maybe I don't know what the eff I'm talking about, but that was my experience.

This was my experience as well for CO - I woke up to it on the Today show...then continued to watch reporting on it on NBC nightly news.  But, I didn't have power for most of the day on Sunday...so, for those of you that watched the Olympics...how much breaking news was there on NBC?  That would have been my only apples to apples comparison - NBC - which I didn't have since my stupid power was out...so I didn't even know about it until late, late Sunday maybe?  Even if my power had been out for the CO shooting I would have known about it almost immediately because of the many sad Batman graphics that were posted - I'm truly not trying to make light of the situation, but it's the truth. I "like" George Takei on FB - and he reposted a lot of "fan" art...and there happened to be a lot of art of a mourning Batman.  I think it probably says less about me than anything else, that my news comes mostly from NBC and George Takei.

xor

I absolutely can't quantify "how much", but I had the Olympics on most of Sunday.  Except for while I was out running and watching the Blue Angels, I was semi-paying attention.  On the West Coast at least, there absolutely WAS 'breaking news' about it, a couple cut-ins with (not much) information, it was the first story on the local news, and it was the top of the broadcast of the NBC Nightly News, broadcast from London.

There are various reasons why it may not have played the same way as reporting the Batman thing, as previously mentioned in this thread.  But it wasn't like it was an "oh by the way" thing mentioned after the weather and olympics medal counts either.  Since then, it has remained toward or at the top of both local and national news broadcasts morning and night.  It was also front page and homepage news on the Seattle Times for several days. Although still on the home page, it is not THE story today because we had local and state primary elections yesterday.

I don't watch the national morning shows.  Which is why Tanya's post was a good "aha" for me.

One of the op ed pieces that Zoom linked was from Denver (obviously, near Aurora) and it tried to show the difference in how print media reported this.  That's interesting.

MrH

My 13 year old DD and I play a game in which we give each other imaginary Chopped baskets and see what the other would make with them.

Here's one:

- watermelon

- lime

- forbidden black rice

- crawfish

Make a dessert.

I think I'd trade it for a nice coat, then a guitar, then a Harley and finally a nice dessert.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Julia1971

You might like Passive Aggressive Notes.com.  Lots of funny/angry notes from kids.

I got 6 likes and a share for The Terrifying World Of Olympic Field Hockey Masks yesterday.

xor

For anyone who is interested, find a Sikh prayer vigil near you.  Google says "about 184,000 results", which clearly overstates the case by a whole lot, but I see lots of locations, so for those interested, they can be found.

I checked because, again, the shooting was the top story on our local news this morning (a nice story about two kids being called heroes) followed by info on two different local meetings/vigils.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've been looking over the past couple of days and have been unable to find any vigils less than an hour+ away from us.  But there is a group of women who generally stage mini peace rallies on most Friday evenings in the center of our town, so I'm assuming that they will be recognizing the WI shootings if they gather, this week or next.  If I see them I'll definitely be joining them.

Thanks for the link, SRL.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Not only irrational but hippocritical (cast system, slums and all).  I have to wonder if such things would even be newsworthy there and in many other countries, as long as the victims belonged to certain groups.

I won't get into your hypocritical comment but what did you mean by "if such things would even be newsworthy there... as long as the victims belonged to certain groups?"

Are you saying because Sikhs are in minority in India and because it has the cast system, slums and all, the event won't be newsworthy? You do know that India's prime minister is a Sikh right? And India had a Muslim president while having a Sikh prime minister at the same time. Not to mention a woman has served as a primer minister longer than any other Indian primer minister.

I reject the notion that cast system or slums play any role in the rest of the country 'caring' about what happens to its fellow citizens especially when those fellow citizens are abroad.

Are the protests irrational? Probably. Are the people over reacting? Sure. Not newsworthy (especially for the reasons you mention)? I don't think so.

How would we have reacted if 6 [insert American minority (from any perspective) here] were killed in India regardless of the social problems we have in the US?

On the other hand, if I misunderstood your point, I am happy to stand corrected.

running is somewhat like playing golf to me.   crappy shots all day long, ready to give it up & wondering why I'm trying so hard just to get this stupid little ball into a stupid little hole but then out of the blue comes a monster drive or a long putt that actually gets into the cup.  bingo! that one shot keeps me going for the rest of day no matter how crappy I continue to play & gets me back out again on another day.   strange. -- skyedog

Feeling the growl again

On the other hand, if I misunderstood your point, I am happy to stand corrected.

You did.  It is hypocritical to criticize the US for "failing to protect" these members of a minority group, when the country making the protest (India) fails to do the same for minority and/or other disadvantaged groups within their own society.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills