Cirque du Soleil 5K (Read 891 times)

Ran a 5K race for a little speedwork this morning as prep for the St. George Marathon Oct 1st. Wasn't really sure what my goal time was going to be. On the one hand, I wanted to run under 21:00 (my last 5K in July was 21:05), but on the other hand, my leg still isn't 100% (I still think about my ITB every time I run) so I was a little hesistant to push too hard for fear of exacerbating the injury. Part of it, I'm sure (and hope), is just paranoia in the few weeks leading up the SGM. At any rate, the leg felt good during the race, and I managed to run ok. There were 276 runners, and the start was crowded. I nearly tripped after the first 100 yards when we had to make a sharp turn onto a narrow path, and there was nowhere to go. Overall time was 20:40 (6:40/mile), with splits of 6:57, 6:15, 6:20 for miles 1-3. Forgot to turn off my Garmin right away when I finished, so not sure what the .10 mile split was. It was a fairly flat course, just a little uphill incline for the 1st mile, and the last .10 was a slight uphill, which I like. Managed to place 2nd in the 50-54 group, 13th overall, and was under 21:00. So, all in all, a good day. One more 20 miler this coming weekend in prep for SGM. If my leg is ok during the coming run (last 20 miler two weeks ago it was fine), I'll feel a lot more confident about redeeming my DNF from DesNews.
    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Pron8r, Congratulations for coming in second in your age group! You make the rest of us look bad Tongue You'll do great at St. George!