Help keep track and field at Ohio University (Read 455 times)

Mishka-old log

The news broke earlier this week that Ohio University would be cutting men's indoor and outdoor track & field, men's swimming & diving, and women's lacrosse (link to original article here). The University cites budgetary reasons as awell as compliance with a federal regulation (Title IX) that enforces gender equity in intercollegiate athletics. The University's reasons have been highly criticized and speculation is the real reason is that the football program is sucking down more cash than the University is able to fund. If you're interested in more, check out the following threads for more details: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=1738248 http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=1737324 The real reason for my post is that there is something poeple like us can do to help. A petition has been started that takes less than 2 minutes of your time. Please take a minute or two of your time to help out the student athletes at Ohio University. Note, the petition asks for a donation, however, it is not for the OU cause, but for the hosting petition site. You do NOT have to donate. Just click "back" after submitting the petition. Link to petition here
      This same sort of thing is happening at our high school except they arnt threatining to take away any teams. But it is pretty obvious that the school spends most of the athletic buget on our football team. Our xc, indoor, and outdoor track teams all have to use the same uniforms, and their arnt enough of the smaller sizes so freshman get stuck w/extra large uniforms. Also on our way to the meets we get one bus and some of us have to sit 3 to a seat which is very uncomfertable w/all of our stuff.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ugh, don't even get me started on this topic. Our HS had such a horrendous football program that they actually combined with another school to field a team...a team that did not win a single game while I or my youger siblings were in school. Our track and cross country teams consistently did well and sent members to state (actually, the entire CC team went to state every year I was in HS). Guess who got new uniforms every couple of years...? It wasn't the winning teams. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay