2013 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 601 times)

Julia1971

I was poking around the NYCM Facebook page this morning and someone posted about the new security measures.  I was planning to bring a blanket.  Hope I don't freeze.  Sad  (And, hope I'm not jinxing myself by complaining worrying and now it'll be 90 degrees on race day. Sad )

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I was poking around the NYCM Facebook page this morning and someone posted about the new security measures.  I was planning to bring a blanket.  Hope I don't freeze.  Sad  (And, hope I'm not jinxing myself by complaining worrying and now it'll be 90 degrees on race day. Sad )

I usually visit a Goodwill shop or some other second hand clothing store and pick up some warm sweat pants and jacket or fleece top that I can wear at the start and leave behind so I guess it's time to go shopping again. Last year I saw someone wrapped in a fleece blanket and thought that was a good idea; I guess not for this year. I am hoping I can bring one of those shiny "blankets" they give out at many race finishes to wrap around me in the corral. You end up spending a good amount of time in the corral after you have donated your extra clothes and it can get pretty chilly.

Agreed, that even with all the hassle of planning how to cope with the cold it is still better than running in warm/hot weather!

northernman

Fight The Future

the shiny blankets work really well. I bought two at walmart this spring for $2 (camping section), and brought to Boston. Tossed them when I got to the corral, and was toasty warm most of the time

Julia1971

Thanks for the tips.  I don't have a good tolerance for cold - I start wearing long sleeves and gloves when the temps are in the mid 50s.  Last year, I went to the army surplus store and bought a blanket for something like $10.  Maybe I'll head over there and see if they have cheap warm clothes.  If you see someone walking around Fort Wadsworth in the gunny suit, it might be me.  Edited to add: Just realized that would be a really, really, really bad idea.  But, they still might have some good warm clothes.

TakeAHike

I think I have some warm clothes lying around that I should have chucked a long time ago.  I will wear some extra layers that I am willing to discard.  Someone at RWOL suggested bringing a cheap tarp to sit on.  I think the new security rules will allow that.  A tarp won't keep you warm, but it will keep you dry.  If it is wet, I will probably wear old shoes and hang my marathon shoes around my neck, so I don't drench my shoes before the race starts.

On a related note, I have no clue what to wear for the marathon and I am not talking about fashion.  I feel most comfortable running in split shorts and a singlet.  I should be fine as long as the temps are 40+, but I will need to wear more if it is colder than that.   My favorite shorts also have no pockets, so that's a problem.  I plan to carry a few gus, some tp and perhaps a credit card.  I am thinking of picking up some RaceReady shorts at raceready.com.   I don't own arm warmers, but I make buy some just in case.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I think I have some warm clothes lying around that I should have chucked a long time ago.  I will wear some extra layers that I am willing to discard.  Someone at RWOL suggested bringing a cheap tarp to sit on.  I think the new security rules will allow that.  A tarp won't keep you warm, but it will keep you dry.  If it is wet, I will probably wear old shoes and hang my marathon shoes around my neck, so I don't drench my shoes before the race starts.

On a related note, I have no clue what to wear for the marathon and I am not talking about fashion.  I feel most comfortable running in split shorts and a singlet.  I should be fine as long as the temps are 40+, but I will need to wear more if it is colder than that.   My favorite shorts also have no pockets, so that's a problem.  I plan to carry a few gus, some tp and perhaps a credit card.  I am thinking of picking up some RaceReady shorts at raceready.com.   I don't own arm warmers, but I make buy some just in case.

I'm bringing a large black trash bag to use as a tarp or a poncho. I'm guessing they won't allow a tarp but I found at Boston that a trash bag worked great to sit on while waitingand as an extra layer that could be discarded only seconds before the start.

Arm warmers work great for me. Also a hat and gloves that I can shed when it warms up.

Julia1971

My problem is I don't have a lot of clothes like that. So, last year, I ended up buying a cheap pair of sweat pants I could toss. But now, I actually like them and would hate to toss them. LOL!

I haven't really given attire much thought yet. (And I still haven't booked my hotel.). But, I think I'll be looking for things with good pockets. I have a singlet with a pocket on the back for Clif Shots. I may try to find another one though because it doesn't fit great. And, I have several shorts with pockets in the back so I can fit my hotel key and a few bucks. I'm thinking I carry my phone in my Spibelt. And, yes, arm warmers and my Asics NYCM five boroughs gloves.

meaghansketch

I have a pretty good tolerance for cold so keep that in mind, but here's what I wore in 2010 (39 degrees at start, high of ~50, sunny, bit of wind; pretty typical early November NYC day).

-shorts

-tank top (not really a singlet, but sleeveless)

-armwarmers-- these are great because they can be rolled up or taken off, I think I took them off and put them back on a couple times depending on sun/wind/etc.

-gloves (cheap cotton)

-earwarmer headband thing-- the kind that goes around your head to keep your ears warm

-Spibelt

If it were 5 degrees cooler I would have gone with legwarmers in addition to the shorts; if it were 10 degrees colder I would have probably gone with tights.  Right now I have no tights (I have pants but I think they would be too warm unless it's really cold) so maybe I'll try to get some tights or some capris before race day.

I always get antsy and buy some piece of running gear during my taper, so maybe I'll hold off until then.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Anyone know what kind of sugar water and gu is available on the course?  And which miles offer gu?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

meaghansketch

Anyone know what kind of sugar water and gu is available on the course?  And which miles offer gu?

IIRC it's gatorade endurance formula every mile (possibly every other mile?), powerbar gels in several flavors (volunteers will yell out what flavor they have) at mile 18.

Docket_Rocket

This is what I wore in 2011: a dark red tech shirt, black Marathon Maniacs arm warmers, and a black skirt.  It was in the mid 50s but when I left the hotel it was 43F.  I brought sweats and a jacket.  Please remember I am from Miami, LOL.  I felt fine the whole way but froze myself until I got to my gear check truck.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

TakeAHike

Very helpful stuff.  Thanks meaghan and D_R.  I just ordered some arm warmers.

stadjak - I forget where I saw it, but I also read that they only have gels at mile 18.  I will probably need some before that, so I'll bring my own.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

jfa

I just checked on the weather.

Looks pretty nice.

http://blog.sfgate.com/dailydish/2013/09/24/pamela-anderson-yet-to-start-training-for-new-york-city-marathon/

"She's yet to really tackle 'the running thing'."

"Anderson has been building up her stamina by jumping on elliptical and Stairmaster machines and lifting small weights at home."

I'd say she's lucky there is no cutoff time at this marathon.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time