Beer Mile (Read 156 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

Had a beer mile PR tonight.  7:15, good enough for 4th place.

Of all my beer miles, this was the best, stomachly speaking:  never felt ill, just a few burps on loop 2 and 3.  Strong push home.

1st place was 7:03, 2nd was 7:13, 3rd, 7:14, 4th (me) 7:15, then a 30 second gap to 5th, and we had about 35 in total.  Good showing!

Can't wait until the next one (Friday after Thanksgiving).  I need to shave16 seconds off.   I think it can be done.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Congrats! That's awesome! I'm running a beer mile next Sunday. It will be my first. I'll be nowhere near your time, though--my best recent mile time without the beers is 6:56.

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

Feeling the growl again

If you need to shave off 16sec, think of what you can do differently to get down beers 2-4 faster.  Do you need to run slower to allow you to drink faster, or can you figure a way to sequence guzzling with breathing to get them down faster?

Of course it is doable.  Likely the drinking is the low hanging fruit.  I've done 6:56 on a crappy, very uneven grass surface and a number of low 7's....I think the actual running time has always been pretty close.  The first 12-13sec beer is easy.  2-4, not so much.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

ultramarathon/triathlete

Spaniel, you're absolutely right.

I had a bit of a snafu from the start, not getting the first can open smoothly.  First run loop was sluggish too, overly cautious. The second and third beers I could have easily consumed faster.  Last beer was fast and I picked up the pace on the back part of the track.

Still, it was a 30 second Beer Mile PR.  I have another one the Friday after thanksgiving.  I'm going to push that one harder, drink faster.

I think I'm gonna just pour it down the gullet next time.  I know I can improve another good time chunk.

The US Beer Mile record is 5:19.  Damn.   I think the world record is a hair below 5 minutes!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

BillO

What are some of your regular splits?  Trying  to get  a guess non what I could run.

Feeling the growl again

What are some of your regular splits?  Trying  to get  a guess non what I could run.

Wish I'd written it down.  The first beer is easy...12-13sec each of the last 3 years.  I think averaging closer to 30sec for subsequent beers.  This past year, running was pretty even splits for around 5:30 on the run...so 7:14 total.  When I did 6:56 I did a little better on the running and a lot better on the last beer.  These all on a pretty crappy running surface (uneven, rutted up 1/4mi mowed in a pasture).

The best way to save time is figure out what you have to do in order to get the 2-4 beers down as fast as possible....find low-carbonation beer varieties, keep your breathing under control.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

BillO

Thanks. What about your non beer chugging mile or 5k times?

Feeling the growl again

Thanks. What about your non beer chugging mile or 5k times?

At the time of those beer miles, roughly 4:50-5 and mid/low 16s.  But in this event your raw running speed is not all that important unless you are already a fast drinker.

BillO

Ugh, just did my first in 13:28. The laps were easy with splits around 1:30. The drinking was the hard part. I spent a whopping 3:50 on the fourth beer. No puking for me, but it was close. Spent the last lap burping about half the time.

Im 34 and my mile pr is around 5:45 with a 5k at 19:55.

Lane

I have never done a beer mile but I have competed against beer milers while consuming 12oz of pasteurized egg whites instead of beer.

It took me ~20minutes and I had the weirdest digestive problems for a couple days.

Feeling the growl again

Ugh, just did my first in 13:28. The laps were easy with splits around 1:30. The drinking was the hard part. I spent a whopping 3:50 on the fourth beer. No puking for me, but it was close. Spent the last lap burping about half the time.

Im 34 and my mile pr is around 5:45 with a 5k at 19:55.

Sounds like the standard first beer mile experience.  FWIW your time is not as bad as you may think.  I hold an annual beer mile and there have been a lot in the 10-15min range.