Runner skill classifications (Read 1732 times)

Why is it sideways?

In absolute terms, here's how I would categorize running performances (marathon and 5k) for a male in his prime. You could use the WAVA calculators to find equivalents for gender and age.

world class: sub 2:10, sub 13

national class: sub 2:15, sub 13:30

regional class or very good DI runner: sub 2:20, sub 14 (OTQ)

locally "elite", good college runner: sub 2:30, sub 15

very good local runner, good high school runner: sub 2:45, sub 17 (NYQ)

good local runner, varsity high school runner: sub 3:00, sub 18 (BQ)

solid competitive runner, JV high school runner: sub 3:15, sub 20

average runner: sub 3:30, sub 22

has room to grow, but still may be very committed as a runner: sub 4hrs, sub 24

new and developing runner: sub 5 hours, sub 30 minutes

I know this post is likely to be controversial. I just want to make it clear that I am not trying to insult anyone with this list, but I understand that I might do so anyways, and I thought it would be fun to see what people think.

grinch031

In absolute terms, here's how I would categorize running performances (marathon and 5k) for a male in his prime. You could use the WAVA calculators to find equivalents for gender and age.

world class: sub 2:10, sub 13

national class: sub 2:15, sub 13:30

regional class or very good DI runner: sub 2:20, sub 14 (OTQ)

locally "elite", good college runner: sub 2:30, sub 15

very good local runner, good high school runner: sub 2:45, sub 17 (NYQ)

good local runner, varsity high school runner: sub 3:00, sub 18 (BQ)

solid competitive runner, JV high school runner: sub 3:15, sub 20

average runner: sub 3:30, sub 22

has room to grow, but still may be very committed as a runner: sub 4hrs, sub 24

new and developing runner: sub 5 hours, sub 30 minutes

I know this post is likely to be controversial. I just want to make it clear that I am not trying to insult anyone with this list, but I understand that I might do so anyways, and I thought it would be fun to see what people think.

The only problem is that 'average runner' would imply the bulk of them. But the bulk of them are probably more in the 4:30 range. 

EDIT: Nevermind, you said male in his prime so I'll give you that.

Why is it sideways?

The only problem is that 'average runner' would imply the bulk of them. But the bulk of them are probably more in the 4:30 range.

WAVA gives a 3:30 for a 30 year old man a 59% grade--a little better than 50%, but we would assume this is a PR effort. Smile Maybe 3:45 would be a better number. Many people in this category will run marathons for fun and not give an all-out performance, which I believe skews the numbers a bit. I could be wrong, though.

Slo

EDIT: Nevermind, you said male in his prime so I'll give you that.

But the bulk of the average runner isn't running to thier potential. I honestly believe that a BQ is attainable for the bulk of the average runners out there.

JimR

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

"skill" ?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

DoppleBock

You calling me a hobby jogger?

Just kidding - But I would agree - I thought the question was about people who are serious about running and training conistently at what ever MPW they train at.  Not to include the people that run for 3-4 months and do a marathon and  then go do somthing else or people that are not trying to improve but just hobby jog and enjoy the marathon experience.

WAVA gives a 3:30 for a 30 year old man a 59% grade--a little better than 50%, but we would assume this is a PR effort. Smile Maybe 3:45 would be a better number. Many people in this category will run marathons for fun and not give an all-out performance, which I believe skews the numbers a bit. I could be wrong, though.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

grinch031

You calling me a hobby jogger?

Just kidding - But I would agree - I thought the question was about people who are serious about running and training conistently at what ever MPW they train at.  Not to include the people that run for 3-4 months and do a marathon and  then go do somthing else or people that are not trying to improve but just hobby jog and enjoy the marathon experience.

I would think the level/category would be like any sport based on the effort already put in as opposed to their potential to reach that level.  I'm sure if most healthy people dedicated their lives to running, then most of them would probably be not too far from the elite level.  Its just the genetically gifted can reach the highest levels, or can reach lesser levels with less effort than others.

DoppleBock

Some of us have poor genetics and run as much as an elite to reach the Good to very good local runner level Smile 

I would think the level/category would be like any sport based on the effort already put in as opposed to their potential to reach that level.  I'm sure if most healthy people dedicated their lives to running, then most of them would probably be not too far from the elite level.  Its just the genetically gifted can reach the highest levels, or can reach lesser levels with less effort than others.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Why is it sideways?

Some of us have poor genetics and run as much as an elite to reach the Good to very good local runner level Smile 

Yep. I believe that with effort almost any runner can be better than average. But to reach the "very good" levels, I think some degree of "better than average" talent is required.

grinch031

Yep. I believe that with effort almost any runner can be better than average. But to reach the "very good" levels, I think some degree of "better than average" talent is required.

But we may never know how much natural talent really matters.  A good number of world-class athletes were trained by world-class coaches since they were little kids.  How many people can you think of who had access to world-class resources, had the right work ethic, but lacked the talent to ever even make it past a recreational level?   I think opportunity is probably the biggest hurdle for many.

zonykel

Almost every runner can be better than average? Isn't the cap at 50%?

Yes, but at any given time, only 50% of them put in enough effort to move above the average line.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

bhearn

What, you've never been to Lake Wobegon?

Why is it sideways?

What, you've never been to Lake Wobegon?

Ha ha. It is easy to logic-chop your way out of common sense, but of course at certain times I run better than I "averagely" run.