What forum program are you using? (Read 988 times)

Eric, I am building a "hobby" web site with ASP.NET and I need a forum. I have always liked the forums here at RunningAhead and was wondering what software is running the forum here? TIA Dugr
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

He built it completely from scratch. Good stuff, eh?
        Wow... I was afraid of that. I wish I was 1/2 as good as he is. Thanks for the info. Dugr
          I've used Snitz forum in the past with excellent results. It's powerful and free! http://forum.snitz.com/
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I use PHPBB2 for my forum. I prefer Eric's.
              THanks for the info guys. JerseyDevil, I was looking at Snitz. Is it easy to use Snitz with and existing authentication scheme? I Use ASP.NET Default Membership and don't want my users to log into the forum if they are already logged into my site. Eric, I apologize if this is way off topic (from RunningAhead) and cluttering your forum. ;o) Dugr
                THanks for the info guys. I Use ASP.NET Default Membership and don't want my users to log into the forum if they are already logged into my site... Dugr
                I should work. Snitz accepts a variety of authentcation methods. http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=66154&SearchTerms=asp.net
                eric :)

Dugrhill, et al, We're interviewing another candidate today for our entry level developer position. At the pre-interview meeting where we coordinate so that we won't ask the same questions, one of the managers said that we should always remember to check if the candidate is a code monkey or an independent thinker. We all looked at him funny because we're all code monkeys. We're developers and that is what we get paid to do. Anyway, can you imagine getting interviewed by 4 developers and 3 managers individually for your first job? I'll probably kill myself halfway through from the pressure alone. Poor kid... I wrote the forum code in one weekend several years ago, which explains why it's so simplistic looking. I decided to write it myself because I'm a code monkey and I enjoy that sort of thing, and because I felt that it probably takes me the same amount of time to write it myself or to integrate it with an off the shell package. Although the forum code offered only the basic features, it will let me integrate it with the rest of the site, particularly the training log. I have an idea of what the next version will look like. It will fix the double posting problem, along with other niceties. Hopefully it won't outshine the training log, which will remain the primary component of RA.
                  Biloute

Since I have used phpBB for almost all the time I have been a web developer, I can say it's the best for me. I would chose vbulletin if you are willing to pay,though.
                    Demo : Free forums

Imminent Catastrophe

... I'm a code monkey and I enjoy that sort of thing...

A flying code monkey?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016