Sub-3:30 Marathon in 2012 Goal Thread (Read 4592 times)

Unfortunately, my marathon on Sunday will be (at best) a training run.  I've been hit with the sinus infection of doomtm.  I took last Saturday Nothing to be done for it now.   I should have hit up the doc for antibiotics much, much sooner than I did.

oh no I'm so sorry.  On the bright side at least it's not a running injury.  That....seriously....sucks.

molsenrunner is next. 

After snooping in your log.... are you ready?

Julia1971

Unfortunately, my marathon on Sunday will be (at best) a training run.  I've been hit with the sinus infection of doomtm.  I took last Saturday off to go to the doctor (first day of no running in 135 days), slogged through a miserable 13 miles on Sunday.  Had to take Monday off running...tried to run Tuesday, barely made it over a mile.  Haven't run since, and I've had to take time off from work, to boot.

At this point, I'm not even sure if I'll be able to go to the race on Sunday.  If I do go, it'll be a training run for the Flying Pig, which I'm re-focusing on.

Nothing to be done for it now.   I should have hit up the doc for antibiotics much, much sooner than I did.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. 

Congrats on the 135 day streak!  I know it's not the goal you were shooting for but it's a pretty nice accomplishment.

Julia1971

What a tough week!  Serves me right for saying the rest of the program was easy a few weeks back.  Week 15 featured a pretty hard workout every day.

The most memorable for me was the 6x1,200m intervals.  Didn't think my legs would have it in them since I'd done a half marathon, a long run, doubles and an aerobic run in the days before it but it turned out fine.  There was one rep in particular where I remember feeling like I was flying.  I love that feeling!

Today, I did my last 22 miler as a "dress" rehearsal.  I got up super early and tried to imitate my meal timing and long pre-race wait for Boston.  I tried to mimic the course by running a 2:00 downhil/flat segment, 30 mins of hills, and 50 mins of downhill flat again.  I also tried race-day fueling since I haven't really focused on it at all during my training - most long runs, I probably only took in 200 calories or so.  It went very well.  I managed a great pace and felt still felt strong at the end.  And...

As of 1:33pm, I'm tapering!  Yaaaaay! 

Miles Last Week: 82

Goal for this Week: Stick to my taper.  Planning on kicking it off right by taking tomorrow off and ending my 108 day running streak.

I am feeling so, so much better.

After deciding to training run the race today, I offered to pace a buddy from my running group.  I'm glad I did--it kept my pace controlled and prevented me from racing it, and I was able to help him PR.  His old PR was a 4:38 in the marathon, and today we took it down to a 3:55.  While it wasn't what I'd originally planned, it was one of the more rewarding experiences of my nine months of running so far.

So I'm feeling great and ready to get back to it.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

That's wonderful.  Glad you made it a rewarding experience for someone.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

+1

you're sooo under a 3 hour marathon with those miles and paces Julia!!! 

+2

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

What a tough week!  Serves me right for saying the rest of the program was easy a few weeks back.  Week 15 featured a pretty hard workout every day.

The most memorable for me was the 6x1,200m intervals.  Didn't think my legs would have it in them since I'd done a half marathon, a long run, doubles and an aerobic run in the days before it but it turned out fine.  There was one rep in particular where I remember feeling like I was flying.  I love that feeling!

Today, I did my last 22 miler as a "dress" rehearsal.  I got up super early and tried to imitate my meal timing and long pre-race wait for Boston.  I tried to mimic the course by running a 2:00 downhil/flat segment, 30 mins of hills, and 50 mins of downhill flat again.  I also tried race-day fueling since I haven't really focused on it at all during my training - most long runs, I probably only took in 200 calories or so.  It went very well.  I managed a great pace and felt still felt strong at the end.  And...

As of 1:33pm, I'm tapering!  Yaaaaay! 

Miles Last Week: 82

Goal for this Week: Stick to my taper.  Planning on kicking it off right by taking tomorrow off and ending my 108 day running streak.

Great Job on last week! Enjoy your taper!  What a nice streak you had going on! Hope you enjoyed your day off!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Well my 50 miler was successful. I finished in 8:43:23, 10th over all 3rd woman and first in 40-49 age group. Guess the miles I put on paid off. Looking forward to getting back into marathon training full gear. Actually had a very nice 6 mile run today. I'm feeling better than I have in any previous ultra. Hope that's a good thing and *knock on wood*  Figure I'll be back in full swing by next week (hopefully)

j_d

Feeling the need to say it out loud. My goal for Boston 2012 is to run a qualifying time for 2013, which is 3:15. It's my first marathon, and I'm running for charity, so I feel like by running a BQ that I won't be completely sandbagging my way into next years race. In no way am I suggesting that running for charity is sandbagging, but I hope you'll see my larger point; that since I'm training and running anyway, I might as well throw it down and use the opportunity to qualify.

The three 20+ mile training runs I've done have been at or around 8:00 miles. Perceived effort is moderate, but not pushing hard, 70-80%. I need to run at least 7:37 to BQ which seems doable. I think. Fools rush in...

This forum has been a great resource of info and advise. Thanks to you all, see you in Boston!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

he three 20+ mile training runs I've done have been at or around 8:00 miles. Perceived effort is moderate, but not pushing hard, 70-80%. I need to run at least 7:37 to BQ which seems doable. I think. Fools rush in...

Oooh, best of luck!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

very nice pacing, I only wish I could run that fast in training

j_d

The big unknown is my (marathon) race pace. I ran 7:25 in the Providence Half last spring and 6:52 in a 5 mile race this winter, but over 13.1 miles is uncharted (race) territory. I'm at the beginning of my tapering now, so in terms of fitness, it is what it is. Hope I have it in the tank on race day. Of course a tailwind and a nice cool day couldn't hurt either!