Question for Race DIrectors (Read 84 times)

an amazing likeness

Is it common practice to sell or share the runner information (email) from the entries with other races?  I get tons of emails for races and events that are not put on by any race promoter's events I've entered.  Is this list sharing coming from folks like active dot com?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

ymmv

I would never share entrants email addresses.

I have noted that active tries very hard to get you to leave the selection 'clicked' that says you want to hear from related marketers. For example, if you leave out a required field it takes you back to where you were, with your partially filled form, but it re-checks their 'give me spam' selectors that you unchecked.

mikeymike

I suspect race directors are not sharing your data and are not aware/would not approve if registration services like Active.com are doing so. Apart from registration sites, another likely suspect is publishers (such as Rodale).

I get almost no race spam except from races I've run before. And I sign up for a lot of races.

Runners run

an amazing likeness

I've always gotten the expected promos from race promoters sharing info on their other events. (ie run a DMSE event and get emails about all the other DMSE events; run a Loco event, get all the Loco stuff...) -- which makes sense.  I'm pretty careful to uncheck everything in sight on the active-dot-com registrations, and only subscribe to one running publication (New England Runner...ironically, for the race listings).

It's turned into a (relative) tsunami lately, so just curious. Shrug.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

zonykel

If you misspell your name slightly every time you register, you may find the culprit :-) but it's probably not a practical idea.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If you misspell your name slightly every time you register, you may find the culprit :-) but it's probably not a practical idea.

I use throwaway email addresses everywhere I have the slightest concern about spam.  I can make 'em up as needed.  Get your own at spamgourmet.com.

You can reach me at swamp.corno@xoxy.net.  After the third one, however, subsequent emails all go into a black hole, so hurry.