Should I skip my long run (Read 999 times)

Running Dad

I have a 5k scheduled for next sat. I'm on my easy week this week. I usually do my long runs on sat the same day as the race. Should I move it up in the week or just make next week a easy week again. I just want to make sure that I've got 100% to give the day of the race. Thanks!
    Things to do this year:
    Not get an injury
    Things done this year:
    Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??

Menace to Sobriety

Just run the race and do a cool down run, very easy, after the race that gets you somewhere close to your long run mileage. With a decent warm up, the race and a little bit longer cool down, you should get reasonably close to your long run distance for the day, at least. Take it real easy, if not off, the following day.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Well, that depends on how long your long run is... If it's <= 10 miles then wu/cd then a recovery run in the afternoon will get you daily miles but the benefit of the long run is that it's continuous. so, personally, i'd recommend running long the day after the race, that'll be sunday in your case. then rest on monday. other runs you can split up but not this one. best not to skip it. note that thursday is the day you need to take off/ run real easy. easy run on friday. 10="" miles="" then="" wu/cd="" then="" a="" recovery="" run="" in="" the="" afternoon="" will="" get="" you="" daily="" miles="" but="" the="" benefit="" of="" the="" long="" run="" is="" that="" it's="" continuous.="" so,="" personally,="" i'd="" recommend="" running="" long="" the="" day="" after="" the="" race,="" that'll="" be="" sunday="" in="" your="" case.="" then="" rest="" on="" monday.="" other="" runs="" you="" can="" split="" up="" but="" not="" this="" one.="" best="" not="" to="" skip="" it.="" note="" that="" thursday="" is="" the="" day="" you="" need="" to="" take="" off/="" run="" real="" easy.="" easy="" run="" on="" friday.=""></= 10 miles then wu/cd then a recovery run in the afternoon will get you daily miles but the benefit of the long run is that it's continuous. so, personally, i'd recommend running long the day after the race, that'll be sunday in your case. then rest on monday. other runs you can split up but not this one. best not to skip it. note that thursday is the day you need to take off/ run real easy. easy run on friday. >

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

You might want to take the whole week off...you'll need all the help you can get
            I pretty much concur with the other guys........Hate to see anyone miss the long run.......I would say if you do a mile or so before the reace to warm up ---- 5K race -- and then a mile or two or three or whatever at a recovery pace.....you can cover both bases....of course you want to run the recovery at about 1 or even 2 minues slower then you would normally do so....

Champions are made when no one is watching

You might want to take the whole week off...you'll need all the help you can get
              Hilarious. Anyway. I've done long runs the day after a 5k, and with no ill-effects. You may run a little more slowly, but that won't affect your overall training. Or, like others have suggested, you could group your warmup/cooldown/race together and call it your long run. The downside of that, though, is that it isn't a continuous, moderately slow run--the main point of the long run. Good luck in the race!

Don't ever skip your long run. Skipping is much more fun than running, but people will look at you funny. If you want to skip, use this in your garage with the door closed so the neighbors can't see you. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2373107

Running Dad

Don't ever skip your long run. Skipping is much more fun than running, but people will look at you funny. If you want to skip, use this in your garage with the door closed so the neighbors can't see you. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2373107
                  Tongue i liked that
                  Things to do this year:
                  Not get an injury
                  Things done this year:
                  Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
                    Hilarious. Anyway. I've done long runs the day after a 5k, and with no ill-effects. You may run a little more slowly, but that won't affect your overall training. Or, like others have suggested, you could group your warmup/cooldown/race together and call it your long run. The downside of that, though, is that it isn't a continuous, moderately slow run--the main point of the long run. Good luck in the race!
                    I was just being stupid....Mr. Medic is my brother