Smartphone (Read 203 times)

Julia1971

Once again, no love for the BlackBerry on RA. Sad

Just kidding. I like my new Z10 but would not recommend it as a first phone since it's new and there have been some bugs.

delicate flower

I use a Droid Razr Maxx and love it.  I'm an idiot and had no problem figuring out the android platform (it did take me a while to figure out how to make a call).  I've never used an iPhone.  They were not available on Verizon when I got my first smartphone and I didn't want AT&T.

I am sure this Razr Maxx can do a hell of a lot more than what I use it for.

<3

I love my Nokia lumia (710 I think?) with windows phone. Best value for money I've ever gotten from a phone, and windows phone is really easy to use.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I've been an iPhone user since the iPhone 3G and I love it. I will never switch. I love the layout, feel, and ease of use. Plus, my laptop is a Mac and I have an iPod and I just like the uniformity and easy integration of all of it.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Mysecondnewname

I'm in the same boat as SRL--Verizon is bugging me to upgrade my old BB Tour.

I like the Samsung Galaxy and the iPhone 5, but they are much larger than my BB.  The BB Tour fits perfectly into a standard SpiBelt with room for other stuff.

The iPhone 4 would be a pretty good size for me.   Has anyone gone from the 4 to the 5?  Is there really that much difference besides size of screen?  Is the battery life of the 5 really the same as the 4?

Also, how durable is an iphone in a Spibelt with some other stuff (car remote, etc) pressing on it.

Anyone got any other recommendations for a smartphone with a strong battery life that isn't any bigger than a BB Tour? (4.5 x 2.5 x 0.5)

Anyone got any other recommendations for a smartphone with a strong battery life that isn't any bigger than a BB Tour? (4.5 x 2.5 x 0.5)

Droid Razr M.

I got it primarily for the battery life and the size. The battery is better than any smartphone I've ever had and it's nice and small--4.82 x 2.40 x 0.33. Most of the Android phones are getting so big, I don't want to walk around with a tablet in my pocket.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The iPhone 4 would be a pretty good size for me.   Has anyone gone from the 4 to the 5?  Is there really that much difference besides size of screen?  Is the battery life of the 5 really the same as the 4?

There was no downside going from the iPhone 4 to the 5.  It's lighter, thinner and taller. battery life has been at least as good as the 4 for me.

Question for the OP: How is the predictive typing on the BB Z10?  I've read some reviews saying it was pretty great, just curious.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Julia1971

Question for the OP: How is the predictive typing on the BB Z10?  I've read some reviews saying it was pretty great, just curious.

I'm not the OP - just the first poster on this page.  The BB Z10 was my first touch screen, so I don't have anything to compare it, too.  But, I think it's pretty good.  I've had the phone for maybe 2 weeks and I'm noticing fewer false auto-corrects and it's anticipating things like when I make a capital "D", I'm about to type "D_R" for Docket_Rocket in the marathon dailies.  Smile   The coolest thing, to me, is having all my personal, Facebook and LinkedIn contacts integrated inton one file.  I jokingly call my phone the Blackberry Stalker.  LOL!  Now, I can see a person's contact information as well as where they work, went to school, their birthday - everything they put on their profile in any of those services.  The Hub is nice, too.  It merges your email, text message, Facebook notifications, etc. all into one place.  But, I kind wish I could just see my email separate.  I'm not sure if other smartphones do all this stuff but after having my BB Tour for years, I think it's awesome.  But, the battery life is not great and setting up the phone took a lot of trial and error.  I did have to restore it to factory settings early on and start over.

Edited to add: I forgot the feature that my friends really ooh and aah about.  The camera has a mode that allows you to bend the space time continuum.  Say you're taking a group photo and someone has their eyes shut.  You can select their face, go back a few seconds to when their eyes were open, and change the picture.  I guess it pretty much acts like a video camera instead of a camera when you're in that mode.

Feeling the growl again

My wife just switched out my 2-1/2-year-old Samsung Galaxy S for the Galaxy S III.  I was looking for something smaller, but ATT didn't have the ones I was really looking at.  The real decision-maker was that with the highly-touted (and IMHO gimmicky) Galaxy S IV coming out next week they have dropped the price on the S III to $99.  No other equivalent model would be close to that price.

I only had one evening to play with it but so far I am impressed.  I had everything set up the way I wanted it in 30 minutes without reading the manual.  I liked how it synced my photos and contacts from multiple sources (ie the phone, facebook, etc) with one click.  Since my wife has an iPhone 4 I can compare and I must say for someone who does not want just a very simple, straightforward interface, the Android is a lot better.  This phone is a big leap from my original S, which the store confirmed is a POS as they fought with it for 2 hours to get my content off of it.

The 2-D size of the phone is a bit large, if you run with phone in hand this is just too big.  But it is slim so it feels no bigger in a normal pocket than my old one.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

My wife just switched out my 2-1/2-year-old Samsung Galaxy S for the Galaxy S III.

Now maybe you'll start logging your beers on time.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Now maybe you'll start logging your beers on time.

If Untappd ever worked after 5pm, I would.  Wink

Besides, it make me look more hardcore when I log six at a time.  I got some badge for that once.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I just got the HTC 8X Win Phone with Verizon and love it.  Very easy to use.  It has not had one hiccup yet in over a month.

The interface is great and totally configurable.  Someone mentioned the predictive typing on the Z10...don't know, but it's pretty good on the WIn Phone.

I don't really have any issue with iOS, but, I just wanted something different.

Jeff

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I just got the HTC 8X Win Phone with Verizon and love it.  Very easy to use.  It has not had one hiccup yet in over a month.

The interface is great and totally configurable.  Someone mentioned the predictive typing on the Z10...don't know, but it's pretty good on the WIn Phone.

I don't really have any issue with iOS, but, I just wanted something different.

Reminds me of the Microsoft ad I saw this morning.  Phone wars, anyone?

Kalsarikännit

Since the question here seems to be answered, I'm going to hijack this and ask my own question. I have a verizon iPhone and will be going to Europe at the end of the month for two and a half weeks. I know the iPhone will be useless and that I need something with a SIM card. I am going to want internet on the phone for train schedules, finding hostels, looking up info, and sending the occasional email to friends and family. I really won't be calling or texting on it, but I want the ability to do so if it becomes necessary. Does anyone have experience with this, or any advice?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Regular ass person

Since the question here seems to be answered, I'm going to hijack this and ask my own question. I have a verizon iPhone and will be going to Europe at the end of the month for two and a half weeks. I know the iPhone will be useless and that I need something with a SIM card. I am going to want internet on the phone for train schedules, finding hostels, looking up info, and sending the occasional email to friends and family. I really won't be calling or texting on it, but I want the ability to do so if it becomes necessary. Does anyone have experience with this, or any advice?

Talk to Verizon. They can temporarily put you on an international plan.

At my job, our execs frequently travel internationally. Because it's kind of pricey, we switch them back and forth when they need it. No big deal.