I won an age group award! (Read 1160 times)

Ok, so it was 3rd, and I am not entirely sure there were many more women than that in the race in my age group, but I am still excited. This was just the 2nd 5K I have ran. I wanted to break 30:00 minutes, and I didn't Cry But, now I just have to find another 5K, I guess. I know in the overall scheme of running, this is not monumental, but it just makes all that daily running mean something.
      THEY ALL COUNT! Wink
      I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
        Not monumental!? Hey, celebrate it!! That's awesome!! Congrats. Smile
        Roses Revenge

Well, see, it all depends on who you are talking to. With the people who are full of themselves I just mention that I was first in my age group in two of my four marathons this year. With the people who aren't I add that I was the only one in my age group. The first marathon I did last year lumped all the age 65 and over people into the same age group. I was second in age group for that one and the person who was first was 81 years old and came in a good hour ahead of me. I wanna be like her when I'm that age.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I won my first and only AG award back in March. 3/7. But, still...I beat 4 people my age. Some who have maybe been running for decades. It's still awesome, no matter how you slice it--especially since this was only your 2nd race. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Well, see, it all depends on who you are talking to. With the people who are full of themselves I just mention that I was first in my age group in two of my four marathons this year. With the people who aren't I add that I was the only one in my age group. The first marathon I did last year lumped all the age 65 and over people into the same age group. I was second in age group for that one and the person who was first was 81 years old and came in a good hour ahead of me. I wanna be like her when I'm that age.
              Wow, you should be so proud of that. I just dream of finishing a half marathon. I cannot imagine the elation of finishing a marathon. Congrats on finishing four and all the age group awards!!
              Roses Revenge

Thanks! It's actually seven since 10/2006 and four this year. And I'll freely admit that I walk more than I run. I probably won't do another one until April, but am registered for a half in January to find out if my transition plan from walking to running is working.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

I won my first and only AG award back in March. 3/7. But, still...I beat 4 people my age. Some who have maybe been running for decades. It's still awesome, no matter how you slice it--especially since this was only your 2nd race. Smile
                  I bet you have many more AG awards in your future. I glance at your log frequently because I think we have a lot in common. I often use your log as inspiration. I am extremely impressed with your progress in such a short time.
                    We all got to start somewhere. And that's a good one. Reach higher and, stay after it. Yes

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Thanks! It's actually seven since 10/2006 and four this year. And I'll freely admit that I walk more than I run. I probably won't do another one until April, but am registered for a half in January to find out if my transition plan from walking to running is working.
                      I will be anxious for the results to see how you do. I bet you will surprise yourself in January. There is no shame in walking. I used to think there was, but yesterday during the 5K, we had a strong headwind the last mile, and I had gone out way too fast, so I walked a little on that stretch. I think it helped my overall time rather than hurt it because I was still able to finish strong. If I had ran it all into the wind, I think my finish would have been less than stellar, and my family was waiting at the finish line. I wanted that part to be good! I am registerd for a 10K type event next Sunday (they call it a quarter marathon here, but this race is the only one to use that term--it is 6.55 miles, I think), and I plan to walk a little every mile. I am becoming more and more of a believer in the walk/run philosophy.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I bet you have many more AG awards in your future. I glance at your log frequently because I think we have a lot in common. I often use your log as inspiration. I am extremely impressed with your progress in such a short time.
                        Thanks, Jeanne! I must say, it's great to be 35! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Old, Slow, Happy

Ok, so it was 3rd, and I am not entirely sure there were many more women than that in the race in my age group, but I am still excited. This was just the 2nd 5K I have ran. I wanted to break 30:00 minutes, and I didn't Cry But, now I just have to find another 5K, I guess. I know in the overall scheme of running, this is not monumental, but it just makes all that daily running mean something.
                          It sounds monumental to me. I didn't actually win anything until this year. It was a small race in my hometown. I won the 50 and over age group. There were three of us and I blew away the other two. It's fun to earn a medal other than a finisher medal. Way To Go!!!! and Here's to many more!! Smile

Non ducor, duco.

Yea! That is pretty good for a Sooner! Wink Seriously, congrats!
                              That is awesome, truly awesome! AG award?!? You ROCK!
                                I know in the overall scheme of running, this is not monumental, but it just makes all that daily running mean something.
                                I disagree with you on this one -- if you got positive recognition, its monumental and you deserve it. So what if your time was not below 30 mins....gives you a goal.....you'll get there... Be happy, be proud...... Smile Big grin Wink Tongue

Champions are made when no one is watching