Why Is the Republican Field So Extreme? (Read 2137 times)

xor

I personally believe that the Republican field is so extreme because they didn't practice crop rotation.

Also, it is being overtaken by invasive weeds.

Happy Camper

Oh...how about launching 2 wars which have cost over 3,000 soldiers their lives and tens of thousands their lifetime health and costing over $1.2 trillon and counting; created the largest expansion of medicare in the program's history; creating the largest expansion of the federal govt since WW2 by creating Homeland Security and adding an oversight layer the CIA, which was itself an oversight layer, extraordinary rendition completely trashing the reputation of our country among our friends, creating a defense industry which consumes $1 Trillon of GDP per year, more than the next 50 country's combined.

...and that's off the top of my head.

Did I forget to mention Iraq + Afghanistan + Libya + Egypt + Syria?  How about taking Homeland Security and growing it worse?  Did the apology tour at the beginning of BHO's term make things better?  We now get lectures from the Chinese on budgets and spending and they're right. We have a VP that "understands" their one child policy because he doesn't dare offend them. If it comes to spending it's the party of more spending and government (Republicans) vs the party of even more spending and government. (Democrats)  Democrats win and in the cumulative history of mankind, the world has not experienced the level of debt and growth in government debt that this administration has advocated and worked damn hard to achieve.

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

xor

My one and only serious contribution to a thread about MOTHERFUCKING POLITICS ON A RUNNING SITE:

Let us not forget the crap-filled bed the previous administration left for the current administration.  One wonders how different the current administrations policies and strategies and tactics would be if the bed had been less poopy.

Oh but wait.  It is easy to continue to take dumps.

MOTHERFUCKING POLITICS ON A RUNNING SITE

Hannibal Granite

I'm just not so ready to vilify them.  I think it's admirable that Bachman provided foster care to all those children who needed someone. 

I think Palin has gotten a bum rap.  I think she has a deeper understanding to problems in society bearing the challenges of rasing a handicapped child and  living through Bristol's pregnancy and all the negative publicity.  She has risen to the challange, not just complained about starting with a bad situation like BHO and then setting forth policies that have  made things worse and tarring the opposition as an excuse.  It's quite the opposite of what Bill Clinton did and he (BHO)  is nowhere near the success either.

I like Perry and the straightforwardness of his views. He works to achieve his beliefs, just as Pelosi and Reids supporters like them for leading the movement for their views.  Don't kid yourself.  They are all likeable in person. People who are not likeable don't become Speaker of the House, Senate Majority Leader or Govenor of a diverse, populous state like Texas.  I just happen to believe that even bigger spending with more regulation leads to 9% unemployment and so much uncertainty over future healthcare costs and tax rates that business won't expand.  As far as radical, what have the Republicans done in just over two years that equal the health care legislation, cap and trade which now will be EPA regulations and the attempt at card check?

Being a good person and fostering kids has absolutely nothing to do with being a good leader for a country.  I have a family member who has 3 kids of her own and she and her husband have adopted two others, but I wouldn't want either of them representing me in any sort of elected office.   As far as Palin, she lost me when she tried to use her handicapped child as a prop during the 08 election basically saying "look at how good I am b/c I didn't have an abortion even though my baby is special needs", and with the money and influence she has and had even as governor of Alaska she quite frankly didn't have the same kind of challenges another mother of a special needs child would have.  Palin also tends to blame the "lamestrem media" for picking on her often when doing things like telling the truth about what she did as governor or repeating things she has said verbatim.  

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

My one and only serious contribution to a thread about MOTHERFUCKING POLITICS ON A RUNNING SITE:

Let us not forget the crap-filled bed the previous administration left for the current administration.  One wonders how different the current administrations policies and strategies and tactics would be if the bed had been less poopy.

Oh but wait.  It is easy to continue to take dumps.

MOTHERFUCKING POLITICS ON A RUNNING SITE

Gross.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xor

And Rick Perry isn't that likable.  What he IS is a connected bully.

Oh wait. I shouldn't be here, but my Texan roots showed through.

Prince of Fatness

I blame George Washington.  He started this.

Not at it at all. 

Happy Camper

Being a good person and fostering kids has absolutely nothing to do with being a good leader for a country.  I have a family member who has 3 kids of her own and she and her husband have adopted two others, but I wouldn't want either of them representing me in any sort of elected office.   As far as Palin, she lost me when she tried to use her handicapped child as a prop during the 08 election basically saying "look at how good I am b/c I didn't have an abortion even though my baby is special needs", and with the money and influence she has and had even as governor of Alaska she quite frankly didn't have the same kind of challenges another mother of a special needs child would have.  Palin also tends to blame the "lamestrem media" for picking on her often when doing things like telling the truth about what she did as governor or repeating things she has said verbatim.  

You hate Pailn, I get it.  What do you think she should do with Trig?  Hide him in the basement?  You don't think she has an increased capacity for empathy after giving birth, rearing and  not backing away from the challenge?  Success leads to wealth.  That happens all the time in Wasilla, AK.  The birth place of fame and fortune and special advantages.  As far as damage from the "lamestream media" would you care to live through the wit and humor of Bill Maher when he's yucking it up on TV about you and your children? 

Who  said that Bachman should be President?  I'm just not ready to vilify her.  Some voters in Minnesota made her Congresswoman just like they and some court cases made Al Franken a Senator.  If she should be President is what the primaries and election is about. 

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

Feeling the growl again

You're absolutely right.  If the Clinton Administration hadn't laid the seeds for the horrible policies that led to the housing bubble we'd never be in this mess.  If he'd have taken care of Bin Laden instead of dropping some Tomahawks for show, we'd have never have had 9/11.  If he'd have enforced the terms of the peace treaty in Iraq and forced weapons inspections, we would have KNOWN they didn't have WMDs instead of mucking that one up.  Bush would have had such an easier row to how.

Oops, maybe that's not what you mean.  But see how easy it is to place blame, rather than own up to the responsibility to solve problems years after they have become yours?  That's called leadership.  Something we sorely lack on all fronts.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

I blame George Washington.  He started this.

Yes, but in his departure speech he at least warned us of the dangers of political parties.  Take note in this thread of how much bickering there is about supporting one party vs the other, rather than what needs to be done to fix issues.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

xor

Oops, maybe that's not what you mean.  But see how easy it is to place blame, rather than own up to the responsibility to solve problems years after they have become yours?  That's called leadership.  Something we sorely lack on all fronts.

Seems to me that the current administration is attempting to do that.

Feeling the growl again

Seems to me that the current administration is attempting to do that.

Place blame?  Yes, they're doing that quite well.

Why is it sideways?

Yes, but in his departure speech he at least warned us of the dangers of political parties.  Take note in this thread of how much bickering there is about supporting one party vs the other, rather than what needs to be done to fix issues.

Well, it's a thread about the Republican party and whether it is representative of Republicans or not. I haven't seen a ton of bickering, really. The founders were worried about factions because they were starting a new country and were afraid it would pull apart (as it did during the Civil War). As memory of that event fades, one wonders whether we'll still have the courage to live together while thinking differently. 

Seems to me that Obama, the reconciler, is the one showing that sort of courage in his commitment to compromise. Seems to me that, as Nader says, the Republican party is running a polarizing campaign. But I am sure that my own viewpoint is biased.

xor

No, that's not what I meant.

Y'all have fun.

You won't solve anything and you will wind up all pissed off at each other.

YAY!

Feeling the growl again

Well, it's a thread about the Republican party and whether it is representative of Republicans or not. I haven't seen a ton of bickering, really. The founders were worried about factions because they were starting a new country and were afraid it would pull apart (as it did during the Civil War). As memory of that event fades, one wonders whether we'll still have the courage to live together while thinking differently. 

Seems to me that Obama, the reconciler, is the one showing that sort of courage in his commitment to compromise. Seems to me that, as Nader says, the Republican party is running a polarizing campaign. But I am sure that my own viewpoint is biased.

I think the founders' fear of political parties was deeper than factions....more to the level of the danger they posed from diverting from the needs of the people, to the needs of the parties.

Regarding your next sentence, I agree completely, when a generation has not experienced real hardship, then another generation diminishes the memory even further, I fear we lose the courage to not only live together while thinking differently but how to come together at all.

As for Obama being "the reconciler", he may have campaigned as someone who would "reach across the aisles", but he has been the polar opposite.  I didn't vote for him but never did I expect such a polarizing figure.  You may see him that way, but to those he is "reconciling" he is the most alienating politician in my memory.  OK, no, Pelosi is.  I didn't like Clinton either but he was nowhere near such a dividing figure.  I'm not sure what you think Obama has ever reconciled, his tactics consist mainly of making bullying and blame-laying speeches against the opposing party.  A reconciler would let the Dems in Congress play bad cop, then work behind the scenes to let both save face and come to a compromise.

MTA:  Don't assume I support a lot of the antics the Republicans have been playing either.