Looking for Sub 3 Marathon Master Runner's stats (Read 147 times)

joescott

I guess I have a different definition of sub par.  The times that these guys are putting down are times that qualify them as master elite runners by USATF standards.  They are also times that qualify them as elite at several medium sized marathons.  That means they are invited to races and can race for free.  These times are also good enough to draw some sponsors.  That helps the budget, I'm sure.

I think the point I was trying to make is that there are several of us hacks, right here on RA, who are over 40 and definitely could run 8 x sub-3:00 marathons in a year, but we are not really I think the kind of elite guys you are after.  The "quantity" part of your standard is what is really weird to me.  I think it means a LOT more if a guy can run ONE sub-2:35 marathon than if he can run 8 x 2:59's.  Right?

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I think it means something different.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Ready to race!

Yea, I see your point as far as running 8 - 2:59's versus one 2:35.  The training and everything would be way different.  I will tell you though that these guys that are running these crazy fast times multiple times a year are very inspiring to me.  They make me push harder myself just knowing it's possible.  I think it's the quantity with quality that's impressive.

Mescal

Im not sure how different. The easy pace for 235 marathon training is about 645-710.

My guess is that the 235 crowd doesn't care about running another sub-3. Even on a training run.

Yea, I see your point as far as running 8 - 2:59's versus one 2:35.  The training and everything would be way different.

And we run because we like it
          Through the broad bright land

Ready to race!

I've done both and the training was completely different.

Mescal

Just running sub-7 min miles is easy if you are in 235 marathon shape. Could just call it 7 months of base training and collect your medals.

If you are looking for fast masters runners that have done marathons. There might be more people running shorter distances most of the year with one marathon effort.

The faster masters or senior masters runners I know run the PAUSATF circuit. This includes the road and XC season. Of the 12 races on the road schedule, only one is a marathon. I don't think they really care about free entry into a race. I think for the most part they want to stay healthy, score for their team and run well. Maybe in that order.

And we run because we like it
              Through the broad bright land

Julia1971

I guess I have a different definition of sub par.  The times that these guys are putting down are times that qualify them as master elite runners by USATF standards.  They are also times that qualify them as elite at several medium sized marathons.  That means they are invited to races and can race for free.  These times are also good enough to draw some sponsors.  That helps the budget, I'm sure.

I was wondering about this statement so I looked it up.  2014 USATF Masters Marathon Championship Standard.  Carry on.

Feeling the growl again

I've done both and the training was completely different.

Well it depends what angle you are coming at it from.  Any 2:35 runner can do a slew of sub-3 26.2 mile long runs with no additional training.  Someone in the 2:50s wishing to execute such frequency may need to make training adjustments.

Personally, I'm not awfully impressed to qualify "awesome marathoning" based on excessive frequency rather than speed.  If I wanted to I could probably execute 20 sub-2:50s per year.  Such things are more stunts, the ability to execute defined by the desire to do the stunt rather than any kind of real athletic superiority.  Many others could do it, if they wanted to.  I know plenty of master's runners who could meet the asked-for metric, if they just wanted to do it.  They are not lesser runners because they don't care to run excessive numbers of marathons below some arbitrary mark in a year.  I used to run with a guy who either holds or held the US 10K track masters record.  He set his marathon PR as a masters runner.  Is he less of a marathoner because he only ran one that year?  Heck no.  His one run in the 2:20 range was far more impressive than anybody running a fistful of 2:30s.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Joann Y

I was wondering about this statement so I looked it up.  2014 USATF Masters Marathon Championship Standard.  Carry on.

Thanks, I was wondering about that too and couldn't find it.

jpdeaux

3:05. Did not know that. Huh.

Ready to race!

Yes, that is the standard I was referring to.  They announce it every year, so it could change, but it hasn't changed in a long time.  I haven't been able to find the 2015 standard yet.  Also, they go 2 years back, so you just have had to run it 2 years prior to the championship race.  The open men's time is 2:25.  I'm not sure on the women's time.

Mescal

Ready to race!

Well it depends what angle you are coming at it from.  Any 2:35 runner can do a slew of sub-3 26.2 mile long runs with no additional training.  Someone in the 2:50s wishing to execute such frequency may need to make training adjustments.

Personally, I'm not awfully impressed to qualify "awesome marathoning" based on excessive frequency rather than speed.  If I wanted to I could probably execute 20 sub-2:50s per year.  Such things are more stunts, the ability to execute defined by the desire to do the stunt rather than any kind of real athletic superiority.  Many others could do it, if they wanted to.  I know plenty of master's runners who could meet the asked-for metric, if they just wanted to do it.  They are not lesser runners because they don't care to run excessive numbers of marathons below some arbitrary mark in a year.  I used to run with a guy who either holds or held the US 10K track masters record.  He set his marathon PR as a masters runner.  Is he less of a marathoner because he only ran one that year?  Heck no.  His one run in the 2:20 range was far more impressive than anybody running a fistful of 2:30s.

That's great, a 2:20 range marathon is very impressive at any age especially as a master.  Your friend is an excellent marathoner.

Mescal