Here we go again: marathons and extreme endurance events are BAD for you (Read 1010 times)

The idea that a Daily Mail article on the dangers of extreme exercise is part of some grand conspiracy to keep people unhealthy is some seriously paranoid quackery.

The mainstream media just want to appeal to the masses.  Unfortunately the masses tend to like articles that provide a reasoning for exercising less.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

Unfortunately the masses tend to like articles that provide a reasoning for exercising less.

Maybe that's why they are called masses.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

My comment on drugs was blanket and should be withdrawn. It was really an expression of residual anger of seeing someone I know be put on a cascading amount of pills (up to 7 in his last year), each to control the side effects of the others. They ravaged his body and destroyed his quality of life. But that's my crap, and should have been left at the door of this thread, and not used to make a blanket statement about all pharmaceuticals. Some do increase quality of life for some people.

It is not unusual for some people, especially the elderly, to be under the care of multiple physicians.  While not familiar with the particular case you mention, it is not uncommon for a patient to be under the care of several different physicians simultaneously.  For a number of reasons they may not be aware of all medications the patient is being prescribed by other caregivers and what they are being prescribed for.  When someone who is perhaps elderly and not 100% cognitively engaged is the patient, the likelihood of this happening is greater.

I am aware of a similar patient, they started having increasing problems and were put on more medications.  In trying to get to the root of it I became aware that multiple physicians were involved and when we finally got them talking it turned out that they had both been unaware of medications the patient was on, and were treating at odds with each other...one giving a med that conflicted with the action of the other.  All parties involved....both physicians, drug companies, etc....were well-intentioned, however this is a problem with the overall system that does not work together as an intergrated team.

I share your frustration with cases like this and agree that doing everything one can in the arena of prevention is the best way to avoid being on the receiving end of such a situation.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Maybe that's why they are called masses.

Three points for Vader Tater....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

BeeRunB

The idea that a Daily Mail article on the dangers of extreme exercise is part of some grand conspiracy to keep people unhealthy is some seriously paranoid quackery.

The mainstream media just want to appeal to the masses.  Unfortunately the masses tend to like articles that provide a reasoning for exercising less.

Everyone should have at least one conspiracy they believe in. Makes life a little more fun. The key to keep yourself from falling into a bottomless pit is to remember that your thoughts and beliefs are not reality and that running and creativity will keep you grounded. And that coffee is a conspiracy by God to make our lives happier.

Can I offer you a little JFK assassination, 9-11, Illuminati, Bilderberg Conference, government cover-up of the existence of ET's, the shadow government's long-range plan to erode the constitution and implant chips in us all and make America a police state, the Bush family-Ben Laden family connection, alien abductions, or chem-trails?  Buy one, get one free. The only disclaimer is that belief or discussion of any of these topics do not come free of instant  marginalization or ridicule by those with superior minds who believe in all official reports made by appointed commissions. Offer ends at midnight. Cool

You had me at "coffee."

Runners run

xor

>> Bilderberg Conference

Of course, the Bilderbear Conference is a conspiracy designed to part you from your money.