Pre-race insomniacs, post here! (Read 737 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

maybe a little rumble in the bedroom will help Tongue Good luck on the race.
    Ha, typical guy...then I can stress about that, too. Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Probably not a good idea to cross-train the night before a race...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh...is that what they're calling it these days.... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

jakesdamajorbomb

i have trouble sleeping because i go through the race over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
          "Man imposes his own limitations, don't set any" - Anthony Bailey "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre "Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him,' and I just took off." - Pre "The will to win means nothing if you haven't the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa

Prophet!

Probably not a good idea to cross-train the night before a race...
            there was a thread about this somewhere...i think most people would cross-train before a race... Big grin
              I hope you don't mind me adding a few comment based on my experiences. First things first: I've always believe that you should be nervous before a race. It means you're ready and you want to do well. Heck, I even get nervous before some of my workouts. The key to doing well is channeling that nervous energy into your race. It seems like you've gone beyond being nervous, and as you've said, you're stressed. It's possible you've already read about this, but the most important night of sleep is not the night before the race, it's the night before the night before the race. (I'm not sure I even understand what I just typed.) I mean, if your race is on Saturday, Thursday is the more important nights to get decent sleep. There were plenty of times when I would be up at 6AM after a night of fitful sleep, and yet I didn't have to race until mid-afternoon. I was still able to perform at the level that I wanted because the sleep the night before the race didn't matter as much as the night before that. And I was able to channel any nervous energy into the race. Here are a couple of things I might recommend: First, if you can get someone to travel to the race with you, they could be beneficial. If they're racing, they might be able to help you become less stressed by slowing you down before the race. Maybe they can take your mind off the race with good conversation. If they're not running, they can drive and drop you off while they go look for a place to park so you don't have to get stressed about that. Or maybe you could even sneak in a quick nap on the way to the race. Second, set a good pre-race routine. It sounds like you have that worked out, and you shouldn't have to worry about whether that routine starts at 5AM or 9AM--see sleep above. One of the things I did during my competetive years was to change the music that I listened to before a race. I used to listen to a lot of the pump-up type music, but then I switched it over to relaxing music (Cocteau Twins; yeah, I'm weird), and that helped me be less anxious before a race and channel that nervous energy into the race. I know these are race day fixes, but I think if you focus on making the race day all about the race you will, in turn, be less stressed the days before race day and allow yourself to sleep better in the days leading up to the race. I hope this helps. Abe

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks, Abe, you definitely give some really great advice! I especially like the music suggestion one--I would think that could help me avoid starting too fast, too. I will likely be driving myself to and from this race, as my big race is in only 3 weeks and I'd much rather have DH and DS at that one (and I know I won't be able to drive home after that distance).
                It's possible you've already read about this, but the most important night of sleep is not the night before the race, it's the night before the night before the race. (I'm not sure I even understand what I just typed.) I mean, if your race is on Saturday, Thursday is the more important nights to get decent sleep.
                I have heard that, and I think there's a lot of truth to it. Luckily I slept like the dead last night--I really needed that! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Ha, typical guy...then I can stress about that, too. Wink k
                  I think there was a study a couple of years ago that said it actually helps females run faster to "cross train" before a race.
                  http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think there was a study a couple of years ago that said it actually helps females run faster to "cross train" before a race.
                    Hmmm...wonder who sponsored that study--Trojan? Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Kirsten, I'm so excited for you! I'm actually nervous over here and I'm not even doing anything!!! GOOD LUCK to you and isn't Eryn running too?? If so, good luck to both of you! I know you'll kick some butt!!! Heck, you're probably already done at this point, but I'm thinking about you anyway and hope it was GREAT!!!! Smile
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks, Joni! Oh, and Eryn and I went shopping for new shoes for her afterwards (unbathed, smelly...awesome!). She ended up with the exact same shoes that I ran in all Winter (the ones that I am putting aside for now, as they aren't stable enough for me at the moment). She also bought the same NB running skirt that I have, so we will kinda be twinsies at Fifth-Third, LOL! I was good and spent no money on running stuff, even though my hubby's aunt helps out at the store we were at (the race we did was put on by Striders) and was pressuring me...I should have spent some dough, I could have blamed it on Barb. Wink BTW, I really like Striders. AWESOME selection and their sales people really were personable and knowledgeable...not to mention HOT (though probably 10 years my junior...heh). One guy has been at GVSU for as long as I was a student there (he was actually the guy who was assisting Eryn). He will be a PE teacher when he graduates. Super nice guy and I think he'll be a fantastic teacher. Really makes me want to go back to school and become certified to teach PE. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks, Joni! Oh, and Eryn and I went shopping for new shoes for her afterwards (unbathed, smelly...awesome!). She ended up with the exact same shoes that I ran in all Winter (the ones that I am putting aside for now, as they aren't stable enough for me at the moment). She also bought the same NB running skirt that I have, so we will kinda be twinsies at Fifth-Third, LOL! I was good and spent no money on running stuff, even though my hubby's aunt helps out at the store we were at (the race we did was put on by Striders) and was pressuring me...I should have spent some dough, I could have blamed it on Barb. Wink
                          Eryn must have been really irritated with her shoes if you guys went shopping that fast after the race! Were hers just worn out ..blisters did you say?... or did the type of shoe change for her? As far as the skirt, I think that's funny! We're all going to be looking alike pretty soon! And then we'll have to form a team!! LOL And how cool to have your hubby's aunt working at Striders. You know, I've never heard of the store. I'm learning so much since we moved here. But there are a gazillion stores over in G.R.. Every time we go there I'm amazed. Everything under the sun that you'd ever need...love that! The fact that you didn't buy anything deserves a pat on the back-what restraint. I went into Dunham's yesterday to buy my son a glove and ended up with a running skirt for me too! Tongue
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I went into Dunham's yesterday to buy my son a glove and ended up with a running skirt for me too! Tongue
                            Whoa, Dunham's has running skirts? I was just in there the other day and looked at their women's clothing...didn't see anything that caught my eye. Eryn also lives about an hour from GR, so since we were already down there she wanted to take the opportunity to look at shoes. We also got $10 coupons for Striders from the race. She's in the same type of shoe, just a different brand. She got the NB 767--the same shoe I wore and loved all Winter. This way she will have a few weeks to break them in before Fifth-Third. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay