2014 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 532 times)

Julia1971

Julia, You are right, and I am hoping that my fitness will be better than 4 years ago, I just wanted to get a gauge of how much fitter than my 2010 self I'd have to be when I compare workouts and such when I go through my past logs as things get closer. I don't want to make the mistake of thinking I'm a little bit fitter and then because the course is harder and up blowing up in the 2nd half. But I'm probably exaggerating the differences. I appreciate your insights and thanks for the heads up about Central Park. Those last miles of a marathon, every little incline feels like a mountain Smile

I forgot to look this up last night.    I think I'm thinking of Greg Maclin's terrain adjusted spreadsheets...  I see what you mean.  There have definitely been races that I haven't run before where I went in with a time goal not really realizing how much harder a particular course was and paid for it.

Pacing: last marathon I ran was New Jersey, which is flat as a pancake, making holding an even pace relatively easy. New York is quite different, and I am wondering what is the best approach. I went on the marathon calculator site, and the differences in mile paces seem a little excessive to me. Part of the reason is perhaps that I tend to run fairly well uphill compared to my normal pace, I tend to run hills quite aggressively. Could this be a recipe for disaster?

Other question, not unrelated: as I live in New Jersey, I intend running the course on two separate weekends. I know that it is impossible to run on the Verrezano, but how about the other two bridges on the course?

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

Julia1971

Pacing: last marathon I ran was New Jersey, which is flat as a pancake, making holding an even pace relatively easy. New York is quite different, and I am wondering what is the best approach. I went on the marathon calculator site, and the differences in mile paces seem a little excessive to me. Part of the reason is perhaps that I tend to run fairly well uphill compared to my normal pace, I tend to run hills quite aggressively. Could this be a recipe for disaster?

Other question, not unrelated: as I live in New Jersey, I intend running the course on two separate weekends. I know that it is impossible to run on the Verrezano, but how about the other two bridges on the course?

I don't live in the area so I don't know how you might be able to run the bridges.  And, I went out too fast last year so I'm not the best advice giver when it comes to pacing strategy.  Although, I suppose I learned some lessons the hard way.  Smile  I would not do anything "aggressively" before the Queensboro Bridge.  It's that bad.  I'm not a good hill runner anyway but my split was something like 8-8:30 (Edited to lower the pace due to probable Garmin malfunction) during that section of the course.  (My overall pace was 7:45).  It's a grind.  The next bridge - the Willis Ave. Bridge - going into the Bronx is no joke either.  It's not long from what I remember but it was steep.  And, it comes at Mile 20ish.  Madison Ave. wasn't bad, from what I recall.  But, Central Park...  I was not expecting that even though I'd run it the day before.  Again, probably because of where it comes.  If you went out too hard, you're already exhausted and those little rollers feel like mountains.  Just my $0.02.

Training update: I ran 18 miles today in just under 9:00 pace.  It might not seem impressive but I've had crappy long runs this training cycle - last week I only managed 13 when my goal was 22 and the week before I ended up walking during the last 3 miles of my 20 miler.  So, I'm a little (a lot!!!) proud of myself for finishing 18.  Yay, me!

ultramarathon/triathlete

Pacing: last marathon I ran was New Jersey, which is flat as a pancake, making holding an even pace relatively easy. New York is quite different, and I am wondering what is the best approach...

Other question... I know that it is impossible to run on the Verrezano, but how about the other two bridges on the course?

For pacing, you CAN run the whole thing evenly if you're trained for it.  I paced the official 4:30 group last year and kept an even pace straight through (whatever it was to finish in 4:30, I forget).  I kept the same speed up down the hills (bridges) and the flats.  Some of the people in my group wanted to go faster on the flats and downhills and slower on the ups.   I told them it would all even out and if they wanted to do that, cool, they'd still catch up to me or I'd catch them eventually since I'd be running even.  But when I've raced it, I've always tried to bank a few seconds/mile and take it easy going up the bridges and try to just glide down them.

As for training on the bridges, most, if not all, are unfortunately closed to runners or way out of the way to get to.  BUT, you could run the brooklyn and manhattan bridges for some good and general bridge training that would be similar to what you can expect race day.  The BK/Manhattan bridge run is nice and VERY scenic.  I do that one a lot (and bike it almost everyday to work, including this morning).   I run over the Manhattan Bridge, down through Chinatown a bit and head over to BK on the BK bridge for a nice loop.  The Manhattan bridge has a dedicated run side (south side overlooking the BK bridge and lower Manhattan, the north side is cycling, nice view of midtown/uptown) but the BK bridge is a clusterf*uck with tourists and is harder to navigate (lots of people dodging) while running and basically impossible to bike over.

You are correct, you can not run over the VZ bridge, sadly (except race day).

You SHOULD run the last handful of miles down 5th ave and into CP, down and around the tip of the park and up to Tavern on the Green to the finish.  Not only will you experience the rolling hills along that last six or so miles, but you you'll experience the little hill at the end quarter mile of the race, which is really evil that far into the marathon!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

Goorun

I just discovered this awesome thread and I'll read all of it and probably have some questions.

I'm an old guy, I'll be 60 in October and this is the birthday gift to myself for this round birthday.

I've never ran NYC (I've ran many other marathons in different parts of world) so it hopefully will be special.

The goal is to win my AG and looking at the past results sub 2:50 should be enough.

I'm a Canadian from Vancouver.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Here's a NYC pic from my run commute this morning.  This is the view from the Manhattan Bridge looking south toward the tip of the island and the Brooklyn Bridge.  You'll also see the top of the new 1 World Trade Center sticking up behind the also new "Digital Age" Frank Gehry skyscraper (the weird silver wavy one).

This is NOT a view from the NYCM course, but I wanted to share it anyway.  

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

JML

If you live in the NYC area and want to see some of the course, my running group puts on a supported group run with pacers (I will be pacing one of the groups) that comes over the 59th street bridge at mile 16 (where you will cross it during the actual marathon).  This run is free for members of the group and is only $20 for non-members.  Given that there are water stops and pacers....it is a pretty good deal.

http://www.nyflyers.org/social/eventsdb.php?eventtoviewid=2544&view=ALL&localview=ALL

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Goorun

Nice pic mendeldave.

question for those who ran both Boston and NYC. How the hills/ elevation changes compare?

Some people find Boston hills difficult but it was an easy course for me (I run best on rolling hills courses).

Hope it is similar for NYC.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I've run Boston a few times and NYCM a lot of times.  I've never thought to compare the two based on hills though.

Boston starts out downhill for so long that the hills later only feel hard because your quads are shot from screaming down the first 6 miles.   NYC, after the Verrazano bridge,  is pretty flat along the many mile stretch of 4th ave then slightly undulating until the bridges start to hit, which are much longer and steeper (IMO, though I've not looked at any actual numbers) than Boston.  Plus, running up 1st ave in NYC after around mile 18 is slightly uphill for a long ways.  But there are so many people you don't realize it, which kills people later on since they tend to power along too quickly there, given the literally millions of people supporting you.  Coming back down 5th ave leading to Central Park must be uphill, because it really feels like an endless uphill even though it looks flat.  Into Central Park and down around the tip over to Tavern on the Green (finish line) = rolling hills.  The end quarter mile or so is an uphill.  You'll feel that one but you can generally push through it pretty hard because you can see the massive finish line and, well, lotsa lotsa people.

I don't think that answers your question though. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

Goorun

Thanks  mendeldave, that is helpful to get course description from somebody who knows the course well.

I incorporated some long, gradual uphills in my training.  Hope it will be enough.

Dad, Runner, Programmer

I just discovered this awesome thread and I'll read all of it and probably have some questions.

I'm an old guy, I'll be 60 in October and this is the birthday gift to myself for this round birthday.

I've never ran NYC (I've ran many other marathons in different parts of world) so it hopefully will be special.

The goal is to win my AG and looking at the past results sub 2:50 should be enough.

I'm a Canadian from Vancouver.

Welcome, Goorun! Wow, did you just say you were looking to win your AG at 60 and you are looking to go sub 2:50! That is crazy fast. If you don't mind me asking, what is your marathon PR?

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

Julia1971

Goorun, Welcome to the thread and good luck on your goal!  We'll all be rooting for you...  I've run Boston twice (2012 and 2014) and NYCM once (2013).  I've found Boston more difficult than NYCM and that could very well be because I'm not a good hill runner.  I can run one hill strong when I know I'll get a break but not 4 (or whatever Newton is) straight miles of them that Boston throws at me.  I think spreading them out over 26.2 miles makes me happier...  The other difference, from what I recall, is that after the Verrazano-Narrows, it doesn't feel like you get any downhills at NYCM.  It's flat or climbing the whole way.  I know that's probably not possible but it felt that way to me.  Whereas at Boston, after Heartbreak, it's a noticeable downhill from there. (Edited because Newton feels like 6 miles to me but is probably only 4?).

Goorun

Welcome, Goorun! Wow, did you just say you were looking to win your AG at 60 and you are looking to go sub 2:50! That is crazy fast. If you don't mind me asking, what is your marathon PR?

2:18 but that was a long, long time ago.

I run 2:55 Boston last year from minimal training due to an injury (I BQed for it with 2:50 in 2012 Eugene on bum hamstring, was in 2:42-2:43 shape before the injury).

Damn, I'm injured a lot.

Goorun

Goorun, Welcome to the thread and good luck on your goal!  We'll all be rooting for you...  I've run Boston twice (2012 and 2014) and NYCM once (2013).  I've found Boston more difficult than NYCM and that could very well be because I'm not a good hill runner.  I can run one hill strong when I know I'll get a break but not 4 (or whatever Newton is) straight miles of them that Boston throws at me.  I think spreading them out over 26.2 miles makes me happier...  The other difference, from what I recall, is that after the Verrazano-Narrows, it doesn't feel like you get any downhills at NYCM.  It's flat or climbing the whole way.  I know that's probably not possible but it felt that way to me.  Whereas at Boston, after Heartbreak, it's a noticeable downhill from there. (Edited because Newton feels like 6 miles to me but is probably only 4?).

Thanks Julia,

are bridges easier for you than long uphills because they are shorter ? I think that is what you are saying.

I found this chart and it looks good to me.

http://www.pbase.com/gmaclin/image/96811527/original

Goorun

So I missed option to book transportation (I didn't know where we will be staying at the deadline time) and now I have the default "No transportation required" selection.

We will be staying around 450 West 42nd Street.

How do I get to the start ?

Can I get on the ferry on my own ?

Is subway a good option ?

How far are we from the finish line ?

I've been in NYC only once for short time, so don't know city that much.

Any suggestions are appreciated.