Can i run a marathon in two days? (Read 185 times)

E.L.1996

I'm 18 years old. I signed up 6 months ago for marathon on 
    april 12. 
    I trained from November(My average week mileage was under 35 miles. Sometimes it was over 35 miles but not too often), after 12th March I didn't trained at all because of major depression. I started to hate everything including running(hard to say this, but it's true). I didn't trained for more than 3 weeks. Now i recovered from depression , but i don't know am i prepared for marathon, because my longest run was 25 km(15.5 miles) in the end of February. Yesterday i ran 23 km just to make sure i'm fit and was very tired, but i think i recover shortly. I do carbload three days before race.
    A fight is going on inside me. I can't just throw my target away. Marathon is held in my city once a year so i don't want to miss it. I JUST WANT TO FINISH MARATHON. But i also don't want to be seriously injured. Help me to decide.

A Saucy Wench

Are you "prepared for a marathon".  No.  Not even close.  And dont pretend that carb loading is going to help you .

Can you "just finish"  Probably.  If you pace yourself well, meaning walk early/walk often - like start walking part of every mile beginning the first mile.  and if the race has a long enough cut off to make that possible.

Will you get injured:  hmm.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  Depends on how hard you push it and if you are injury prone to begin with.

Will it be fun...No.  Depending on how well you do on walk early walk often it will either (if you pace well) be a long slog that you probably will wish was just over already  or (if you run too much at the beginning) a really fucking sucky death march that you may or may not finish.

I speak from experience here.  It really depends on how much the goal matters.  And if finishing, no matter how badly is REALLY the goal.  And how much it matters to you that it happens this year.  Sometimes it is worth it.  Sometimes psychologically you just need to know you can finish what you started.  Sometimes it is not worth it.  Only you can say

But dont fool yourself in to thinking you are prepared

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

rmcj001

For my first marathon I trained the week before - Monday 12 miles, Wednesday 12 miles, Friday 3 miles, Sunday Marathon (4:33Tight lippedx).  That was 35 years ago - still my slowest, my 12 year old brother (at the time) ran it with me...If you've run as much as you have there is no reason you can't do it.  Enjoy!

Ray

bap

First of all, I hope that you are being treated for depression.

Secondly, I don't think you should do the marathon because, based on my own experience, doing a marathon without the right training is a miserable experience.

Let me ask a question, why do you run?

Certified Running Coach
          Crocked since 2013

E.L.1996

Thanks! I've done it. I ate a lot of sugar, raisins, bananas during the race and also drank the water and Gatorade. And walked a lot. So i didn't hit the wall. My marathon time is 4:52:25

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations E.L.!  That's a great accomplishment!

BeeRunB

Kudos! Nice job. 

acdc2003

Sorry, I am replying to this message because I have a completely different but can't seem to find where to start a new topic.

I do wish you the best of luck if you decide to run in two day though!

i just ran my first....and possibly last marathon!  Lol. I have two middle toes that are swollen and tender but no bleeding under nail.  I'm thinking this is the beginning of black nail because I had this happen in training with both big toes.  Is there something I can do now to prevent bleeding from occurring and reduce swelling.  I just finished marathon 4 1/2 hours ago....so still very early stages.

xhristopher

Nice. I knew you would do it in less than two days.

Nice. I knew you would do it in less than two days.

Nice.  I see what you did there.

(and, great job, EL!  Congratulations.)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

keeponrunning

Thanks! I've done it. I ate a lot of sugar, raisins, bananas during the race and also drank the water and Gatorade. And walked a lot. So i didn't hit the wall. My marathon time is 4:52:25

Congrats!

Having fought depression, I know how tough it can be.  Good for you for doing it any way!  I see every race I finish, heck every run, as a way to give depression the middle finger.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022