Crummy army shorts (Read 1244 times)

So I have a pair of Small shorts they issue you for the army, which I must wear for pt obviously. The thing is, they are still almost down to my knees, and end up chafing horribly when we go on runs longer than 4 miles because the crotch part is way lower than my normal running shorts. (Sorry, lol). Any suggestions to make this stop other than wearing tight shorts under the pt shorts? THanks..

The Greatest of All Time

Sorry man. Are they the same cheap grey shorts with the panties inside of them? I know this isn't what you want to hear, but we used to cut the panties out and wear spandex under ours. I hated those shorts too, for the very exact reason you do as well. This was back in 89-92 though and there wasn't a lot of technical gear out there. You can buy 7" compression shorts by Nike or Underarmour. I know you are looking for another option but I can't think of one. Are you hesitant about the tights because you can't wear them? We were not supposed to so we had to wear them so they couldn't be seen. They were not part of the official PT uniform. Same thing for you?
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        When I was in the Marine Corps I wore compression shorts (we called them spandex back then) under my canvas running shorts. Yep, canvas. That's the only solution I could think of. I sometimes used vaseline between my thighs because the canvas chafed, even on a skinny guy. I've seen the Army shorts, and I agree they look too long. Hope you find an acceptable solution. (Of course, the Marine Corps was a lot more informal with their PT gear. We basically wore whatever worked).
        Do bears bear? Do bees be?
          Marcus, yeah basically since they are not part of the uniform, I shouldn't be wearing them (good grief in my opinion). I never thought of cutting off the underwear part and wearing really short spandex. Hey getting yelled at is better than chaffing ha ha. We were about to run ~3 miles, and some genius had the idea we should do it in full winters. I suggested taking off the long sleeve and just wearing the tshirt under the zipped up jacket, but goodness, thats not part of the uniform! lol. Well I guess if they don't know and can't see, I"ll be ok! I'll check out the compression shorts then, thanks!
          Scout7

Far as I know, compression shorts are allowed, so long as they match the color of the PT shorts, and aren't visible (so they have to be shorter). A good option is the UnderArmour boxer briefs. Do you have the gray cotton, or the new black nylon (or whatever they are)? The black ones aren't as bad, from personal experience. Although the new shirts are heavy, even the short-sleeved ones.
            Scout7

Marcus, yeah basically since they are not part of the uniform, I shouldn't be wearing them (good grief in my opinion). I never thought of cutting off the underwear part and wearing really short spandex. Hey getting yelled at is better than chaffing ha ha. We were about to run ~3 miles, and some genius had the idea we should do it in full winters. I suggested taking off the long sleeve and just wearing the tshirt under the zipped up jacket, but goodness, thats not part of the uniform! lol. Well I guess if they don't know and can't see, I"ll be ok! I'll check out the compression shorts then, thanks!
              You need to tell those kay-dets to go read AR 670-1. Paragraph 14-3 Accessories, Section b: Soldiers are authorized to wear commercially purchased gray or black spandex shorts under the PFU or IPFU shorts. The length of the shorts must end above the knee or higher. The commercial shorts must be plain, with no logos, patterns, or obtrusive markings. Soldiers are not required to buy the spandex shorts. Additionally, Paragraph 14-6 General Guidelines, Section a: There are no restrictions on the combination of IPFU items worn, unless the commander has prescribed a particular combination for formation.

Dave

Someone mentioned the old gray shorts. Compared to those, the new black ones are awesome. I wear them running frequently even though I don't have unit PT anymore. For the chafing, body glide helps a whole lot. Also agree with the comments about the compression shorts. As long as they are gray or black without a logo (we used to just use a laundry marker to black out the logo), you should be fine.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Ok, cool, that is good to know scout! I assumed I wasn't allowed, since they are so anal about uniform stuff. But I think I will definitely go search out a pair because it gets rather uncomfortable. lol.I've never used vaseline or body glide or anything like that, but it's worth a shot.

The Greatest of All Time

Ok, cool, that is good to know scout! I assumed I wasn't allowed, since they are so anal about uniform stuff. But I think I will definitely go search out a pair because it gets rather uncomfortable. lol.I've never used vaseline or body glide or anything like that, but it's worth a shot.
                    Just be on the safe side and keep them out of sight. At the end of the day it's up to your Batallion Commander if he wants to have his own rules for PT uniforms. Follow Scout's advice and try to get something that closely resembles the color of your shorts.
                    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.