2013 Gardening Thread (Read 239 times)

Google the recipe "Cowboy Candy". It's basically candied hot peppers.  Sweet and hot and absolutely delicious.

Oh, yes--I love those! That's what I'm planning for the next batch. Smile

Prince of Fatness

Ethylene is pretty standard for ripening just about any fruit.  The one thing it does not do is add flavor.  A lot of store bought fruits (especially tomatoes) are rather tasteless because they fill up a warehouse with green ones and then flood it with ethylene to ripen them.  So they end up red but without much flavor.

I took the vines down but saved some green ones and put them in a paper bag.  They did ripen but as you say here not as tasty as vine ripened ones.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

The pumpkins on the other hand are going nuts and about have taken over the whole garden.  Some are the size of a basketball.  They have not ripened yet tho.

Pumpkin vines are thinning out but damn do I have some jumbo pumpkins.  They are in the process of ripening and should be all orange before it is time to harvest them.  Didn't know what kind of pumpkins they were, a neighbor gave me plants and was not sure which ones he gave me.  Turns out I got the jumbo ones.  I am going to need to weigh these bad boys. Quite a bit bigger than a basketball now.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Pumpkin vines are thinning out but damn do I have some jumbo pumpkins.  They are in the process of ripening and should be all orange before it is time to harvest them.  Didn't know what kind of pumpkins they were, a neighbor gave me plants and was not sure which ones he gave me.  Turns out I got the jumbo ones.  I am going to need to weigh these bad boys. Quite a bit bigger than a basketball now.

When did you plant?  I'm realizing I get them in too early here.  My pumpkins will not last until Halloween....I pulled them from the garden a couple weeks back but many are already rotting.  The squash bug hoards are not helping.  I'm thinking I need to delay planting longer next year to bring them in later.  This is such a weird area, we get late frosts but also hot weather late into the fall that makes it hard on things.  For example my grapes, I'm forced to pull them down earlier than I would like to because of the heat.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

When did you plant?  I'm realizing I get them in too early here.

We start from seeds in those little biodegradable planters around late June.  Plants are usually big enough to put in by mid July.  By then I have dug up enough potatoes so there is room.  I usually get a couple of pumpkins that do not ripen before the frost hits but most are OK.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

We start from seeds in those little biodegradable planters around late June.  Plants are usually big enough to put in by mid July.  By then I have dug up enough potatoes so there is room.  I usually get a couple of pumpkins that do not ripen before the frost hits but most are OK.

Yeah.  I plant straight in the ground around the third week of May.  Next year I'm thinking second week of June.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills