Hello/Introduction and please advise on shoes (Read 100 times)

WeinerDogRaces

Hello all!

My name is Stephanie, I am a 30 y/o F living in AZ and brand new to running.

I know absolutely nothing technical about running whatsoever and am looking for some advice on shoes, for both running and walking.

My height is 5'5'', weight is 140 (don't judge). My job is very active, I walk the equivalent of 10-15 miles a day, doing heavy lifting all the while and spend a lot of time on my knees as well (ok, that sounds kinda bad, but i am not a prostitute, i swear...). My knees are usually very stiff and sore, am currently recovering from a slight tear in my left meniscus. I will often work up to 12 hours and am looking for a lightweight shoe. My only other requirements are that they have to be (mostly) black, rubber soled, and hopefully not too ugly.  What do you suggest/ not suggest? I am taking all suggestions, both general and specific.

How about running shoes? My feet are a bit wide, and a bit flat and I am slightly pigeon toed. Cute, right?

Currently I am only able to use the elliptical machine due to the knee injury, but when I'm back at it I will be running on paved sidewalks and streets, in the city. I am not up to long distance yet as I am pretty out of shape, but would like to work myself up to 5k, 10k.

What kind of shoes should I be looking for? Again, general or specific info regarding types of shoes, weight, style, pronation (i don't really know what that means, but I see it on running shoe sites), even brands.

Thanks in advance!

#artbydmcbride

While this is the very best place to come for this advice....I actually suggest that you visit a local running shoe store and talk to them and try on various shoes.

Runners run

Work shoes, i can't help you with. For running shoes, if i were you, i'd go to a running specific store and have them look at your feet and watch you walk. If your feet are flat, then you most likely pronate to some degree. Look at Asics GT-3000 model, it's just an example of shoe with a firm rubber on the medial side ( the inside) of your foot that will help prevent rolling your ankle inward, pronating. As far being pigeon toed, i hope yo're not knocked kneed too.

GinnyinPA

I agree about finding a good running store to get properly fitted.  With wide feet, your choices will be fewer, but I was surprised at how many shoes were really comfortable on my very wide feet. Brooks Adrenaline, Asics 1000 or 2000, Sauconny Guide or Triumph, and many of the New Balance shoes are among the possibilities since all come in wide sizes.  I pronate slightly - if you need more support or less, your choices will be different.

It seems to me you need two different answers. The shoes that will be best suited for your work are one thing. They need to fit certain appearance criteria, and they need to give you the best functionality for the job. There are lots of manufacturers that make shoes for those needs. I don't have any specific suggestions there, but it's worth looking into what's out there, maybe spending a bit more than you'd want, and getting something that will make your feet happy day in and day out. As for running, I agree with what others have said here. Find a running shoe store, not just a store that sells running shoes but a store that specifically is a running shoe store. Get some advice there. Buy a pair of shoes. Start running. Adjust as necessary.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.