How'd you do on your 2009 goals? (Read 1271 times)

she runs like a girl

I don't know how I will top my 2009 year!

- over 2000 km logged

- PR's in EVERY distance I raced : 3km, 5km, 8km, 10km, 10mile, HM

December 29th will be my anniversary with RA Smile I'm looking forward to another great year in 2010

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

325th place or bust!

I had three related goals for 2009, to bring down my 5K, 10K, and HM times.  Since I was new to 10K and HM those goals were guesses.  I was happy I made them but they didn't mean as much as the 5K goals.

In 2008 I brought my 5K time from 27:51 to 25:11.  These times were down from much worse the year before.  So I set a goal of 24 minutes which I thought would be really tough to make, and it was.  In 2009 I set times of:

25:31  (worse)

25:00  (yay - better!)

25:39  (mutter)

24:33  (woot!)

24:29

24:08  (missed it by *that* much!)

and with one more monthly race left in the year....

23:01  (woo hoo!)

Lots of easy miles and speed work (1,000 miles total) this year helped make a difference.  Oh, and the Brooks Racer shoes probably helped a bit, too.  Smile  I'll have to try another 5K with the normal shoes and see how that goes.

And I'm still really really impressed with those of you who run whole marathons at or better than my 5K pace.

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

kcam

1 out of 3 so far.  Even if I stay at 1 for 3 this will have been the most successful and fun years of running I've ever had.

3,000 miles for the year -

Will be a miss. Probably will end up around 2700 miles, about the same as last year.

Sub 18:36 for 5K -

Made this in July with an 18:31.

Sub 38 for 10K  -

One last try this coming Saturday (I give myself  50/50 odds on this one, PR 38:24;  last race was a 37:04 on a short course - believe this would have been a sub-38 on a certified course so there is hope)

AnneCA

Goal One:  Run 2000 kilometers, 1500 miles, 2000 miles.

This one required some revision over the course of the year, and is still a work in progress, but I believe I will meet it.

Goal Two:  Run a marathon. 

Actually, ran two.

Goal Three:  Get faster.

PR in every distance, but here's the best part:  I look at every one of those, except maybe the one from last month, and think "that's soft.  I could do better now." 

My goals for 2010 are:

1) 2000 miles

2) At least two marathons and a 50k.

3) Get faster

1 out of 3 so far.  Even if I stay at 1 for 3 this will have been the most successful and fun years of running I've ever had.

3,000 miles for the year -

Will be a miss. Probably will end up around 2700 miles, about the same as last year.

Sub 18:36 for 5K -

Made this in July with an 18:31.

Sub 38 for 10K  -

One last try this coming Saturday (I give myself  50/50 odds on this one, PR 38:24;  last race was a 37:04 on a short course - believe this would have been a sub-38 on a certified course so there is hope)

Good one. Didn't you have marathon or half marathon goals? I guess maybe you hit your marathon goal in 2008 but that Cowtown half was pretty darn fast. Still I guess if it wasn't a specific goal it doesn't count!

Good luck on Saturday.

1 out of 4 for me. I had string of good pr's in the first part of the year - mile, 5k in 18:06, 10k in 38:27 and 15k in 59:20. However only the 15k hit a specific goal. Then, in the second half of the year, it all went pear shaped. Despite devoting pretty much the entire second half of the year to marathon training I didn't even come close to my sub-3 and wasn't recovered enough from the first marathon to do justice to the annual half-marathon this year. Then the second marathon was even worse.

I did hit 3,000 miles for the year though, but that wasn't really a goal. I guess the lesson here is to name more (or less) goals....

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

jfa

I didn't really set any goals in the beginning of the year other than to run more than the previous year, get better at running overall , and to enjoy it. I'm relatively new at this, so I'm happy with the year as a whole. I will soon reach the 3,000m mark, have had no injuries, knocked 15 mins off my marathon time,and started running some shorter races. Since I have no bench marks to beat when I was younger, I think that I should just continue to get faster and reach more PR's.

kcam

Good one. Didn't you have marathon or half marathon goals? I guess maybe you hit your marathon goal in 2008 but that Cowtown half was pretty darn fast. Still I guess if it wasn't a specific goal it doesn't count!

Good luck on Saturday.

1 out of 4 for me. I had string of good pr's in the first part of the year - mile, 5k in 18:06, 10k in 38:27 and 15k in 59:20. However only the 15k hit a specific goal. Then, in the second half of the year, it all went pear shaped. Despite devoting pretty much the entire second half of the year to marathon training I didn't even come close to my sub-3 and wasn't recovered enough from the first marathon to do justice to the annual half-marathon this year. Then the second marathon was even worse.

I did hit 3,000 miles for the year though, but that wasn't really a goal. I guess the lesson here is to name more (or less) goals....

John

Nope, no marathon goal for me this past year.  My plan was to better my shorter distance times and hopefully run a good marathon off those.  I did run sub-3 this year and PR'd at every distance I raced (cept for the marathon).  But only had 3 actual, measureable goals. 1 fer 3 - not too bad for an old strikeout-prone 3rd baseman!

Seems like your year was pretty darned good as well.   You weren't that far off sub-3 (your fitness level was there, just need to figure out how to keep down some fluids!).  3000 miles is impressive.  Believe it or not that was one of my main goals - thought if I could do that the other two goals would just fall right into place.  Injury at the beginning of the year hamsturng that goal right from the start.  Good luck next year, John.

I set some time goals for 2009 (in my sig). I basically met each one of them (8k vs. 5 miles). My main goal was to go sub-3 in the marathon, which I did first in Boston and then again in Chicago. So was 2 for 2 in that category... 2009 was a very good running year, hopefully I can top that in 2010..

The King of Beasts

My goals from March:

Under 25 at Leadville:  Nope
                    PR the Marathon:  got it at Huntsville
                    Under 3 at the Monkey:  Nope
                    Blue Shirt at Strolling Jim:  Nope
                    Find a Girl to run with: Not even close.

1 out of 5

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

L Train

I think that if this had been my goal marathon of the fall I would have been faster, how much faster ? i dont know. It was fun to finish strong and pass Everyone else out on the course.

It really feels good to get a few minutes off my PR, but... 2:54 is not as fast as I can go.

But IMO this makes up for the other 4, KoB.   

Today, I met my goal to get over 1400 miles in 2009.  I managed to decrease my 5K time this year for a PR of 24:39.  My fastest 5K previously was 26:50.  I also managed to get below 2 hours on the half marathon distance twice, PR at the 50K distance, and run the farthest I've ever run (60K) two times this year.  Overall, I'm very happy with 2009!

John,  I met you at Strolling Jim this year.  I wasn't running but crewing.  If you weren't in TN, and I wasn't in OH...  I'd run with ya!  :-)

Cassie 

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

dennrunner

Since all my PR's are decades behind me (well, 2.6 decades), my only goal for 2009 was to log 2000 miles.  I accomplished that on November 27th.  I'm satisfied.

The King of Beasts

John,  I met you at Strolling Jim this year.  I wasn't running but crewing.  If you weren't in TN, and I wasn't in OH...  I'd run with ya!  :-)

Cassie 

good to know.

i might hold you to that, I have not run a race in OH.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

We have plenty of 'em :-)  If ya find one you like, lemme know.   

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

A Saucy Wench

ummmm....well there is always 2011.  (no it is going to take me most of 2010 to recover from 2009 to be back where I thought I was gonna rock this year.)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7