dumb question about food for fuel- Need advise from all the " Real" runners! (Read 670 times)

So DH and I have been running since 9/07 with C25K and are now almost at the end of One Hour Runner. This evenings run is going to come out at around 5 miles, as we are doing a 55 minute run. At my current pace, I hope to get the full 5 in, ( although I have every reason to think this should not be a problem). So because I am still so new, and clearly just in the building stages of my running strength and endurance, I like to properly fuel my inexperienced running body with good food the days of my runs to carry me through it with ease. Here's the tough part: Trying to lose Weight at the same time! Am I overkilling it by eating too much food for as long as my runs are? Here is What today will be like with our Run taking place around 6:00pm. Breakfast: Oatmeal with Flax Seed Meal sprinkled into it, (12oz organic instant) Coffee, and a Protein Shake made with Skim Milk. Snack: (3 hours later) a handful of almonds/walnuts Lunch: Subway 6" sub on whole wheat ( the new black forest thing) with Sunchips and a diet coke Afternoon Planned Snack: Protein Shake with skim milk Water: 1.5 liters Enought " Runners Fuel"? Undecided Are the protein shakes overkill? I really want to shave those 10 pounds off, and I think I am eating quite sensibly, But I am curious how many of you eat on such a planned run for this amount of mileage, or if you can critique my food plan, and provide any tips for fueling a newbie body and stay on track with my weight loss goals... Thanks In Advance to all~ Cheffy

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

hdh

I am not sure if I qualify as a "real runner".... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so here is my 2 cents. I have read somewhere that it is 15 calories (really Kilocalories or Calories but my chemist wife is not reading this right now) per lb for just being alive and breathing. Running consumes about 100 calories per mile. so, somewhere around 2175 for the base caloric needs then add 500 for your 5 mile run to get to 2675. Figure out the caloric content of what you are eating. Compare the value for what you are eating to what you are "burning" and that should let you know if you are eating too much. hope this helps. hdh
      hdh
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

http://runningahead.com/forums/post/c4da7a89827944e2ab175671c3ae710c#focus Basic point here is this : because running burns about 80-150 kCal per mile (depending on your weight) and the 2000 kCal/day diet actually overestimates our needs (more like 1500-1800 kCal/day) then running less than 20-30 miles per week does not require extra intake if you are trying to lose weight.
          Last March, I weighed 245 pounds. I'm now down to 180-185 depending on the day. I run between 20-30 miles per week on average. I didn't take a very scientific approach to my diet program. I cut out the junk and substituted better food. That combined with the exercise too off the weight. I eat smaller meals. I have a low-cal snack in the afternoon to keep me away from the vending machine.
          "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
          Timbodeener

I didn't take a very scientific approach to my diet program. I cut out the junk and substituted better food. That combined with the exercise too off the weight.
            Yep...this same approach is working for me. I am down from 234 to 209 in the last 7 months. It's not coming off real fast but it is coming off!!
            billycat

Hi there I found some information about food intake for runners on this blog http://runflux.wordpress.com/ there's something about inflammation, and something abut the the 'best foods for runners' - deson't really look at caloric in and out, more at food types
                there's a group on here for those of us trying to lose weight - Running for Weight Loss it has a lot of good resources, including a spreadsheet to help you work out how much food you need and help you track your food intake. for some people - just eating better quality food and running is enough. others find they need to be stricter (especially those who don't start with any junk food in their diet to replace!) my personal opinion is that as you're not running huge mileage the protein shakes are probably unnecessary - unless your diet is hugely protein deficient normally.

A Saucy Wench

The protein shakes may or may not be a problem. It probably is overkill to do 2 protein shakes a day. It is pretty easy to get plenty of protein without it. How caloric are your protein shakes?...I've seen some that are 240-350 range and some that are even higher (saw one that was a whopping 700 for a 12oz shake - could I just have a milkshake please?). The lower calorie ones use a fair bit of artificial stuff so you have to decide how much of that you want in your diet. At the mileage you are currently running, you dont need special "runners fuel", just good healthy foods. Not that you need special foods at any level. Again, not knowing what your protein shakes are made of, you may want to consider having a protein/carb mix at your afternoon snack to fuel the workout. But really any run under ~ 90 minutes can be fueled from stored glycogen so its really a matter of feeling satisfied.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7