How long are you fingers? (Read 1075 times)

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

One of my favorite past times is watching PBS, the least brain rotting of TV stations. I'm watching a show that talked about the differences in genders in terms of the brain. I guess this is part of a series. It talked about testosterone, and how it affects the brain. It also talked about something I find quite interesting: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4314209.stm In summary, some researcher discovered that the difference in length between your ring finger and index finger can be used as a predictor to how fast you run. The longer your ring finger is to your index finger, the more testosterone you received when you were in the womb, which gave you a strong heart and better blood vessels. That in turn allows you to run faster. On the show, an athlete with a difference of 6 mm was shown to be the fastest runner in his sample group. Pretty neat stuff, although it should be taken with a grain of salt.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

ROFLMAO!!! Then I should be VERY fast!!!! Wish I could scan my hand for you... but it's close to a centimeter on my R hand and about a half centimeter on my L. I just measured it. Hmm... that could explain some of my tomboy ways... Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Gah, no wonder I am so slow... Sad Funny, my DH could live on PBS and NPR. Every year he donates to our NPR affiliate and I to my alma mater. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

I'm glad to hear of some other NPR/PBS junkies on this site! Wink I think most of my sentences in conversation start with, "I heard this story on NPR..." That's a fascinating observation.. I'll have to pass that around to some of my other running friends to see how we "measure up".... sure beats the old standard pissing contests.. ehhehe. Big grin
          Wingz

Professional Noob

Sooo....? Mile Collector? Vincentfrijole? How long are YOUR fingers? ...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Gosh, I remember when finger length was supposed to be a measure of something else.... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Gosh, I remember when finger length was supposed to be a measure of something else.... Tongue k
                I think you're referring to shoe size Cool
                Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I am definitely an NPR/PBS junkie! I give to both stations. My alma mater (Boston University) owns the the NPR station here in Boston, so I guess I'm giving to them too. Anyway, back to the task at hand (no pun intended), I got 4 mm. By the way, pissing contests are fine, so long as you're not pissing onto the third rail Big grin
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think you're referring to shoe size Cool
                    That, too! Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My alma mater (Boston University)
                      Ha, I KNEW you were a smarty pants! Most people have never even heard of my alma mater (Grand Valley State U). That's where I met backroadrunner--we had classes together 3 semesters in a row (in completely different disciplines--History, English, Communications). Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

By the way, pissing contests are fine, so long as you're not pissing onto the third rail Big grin
                        Or into the campfire... not a good idea. I'm ashamed to admit I measure up at a lousy 3mm. I feel slower already. However, I maintain that the amount of hair on your feet is a better indicator of running speed. Anyone?
                          I am afraid I will have to bust this myth. My right hand measures a full centimeter (10mm) and I am very slow!!!!! Big grin
                          "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways.... totally worn out ....shouting...."Holy S**t....What a ride!"
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

I am afraid I will have to bust this myth. My right hand measures a full centimeter (10mm) and I am very slow!!!!! Big grin
                            LOL! Then you haven't looked at my times either. That's what I find so hilarious! Notice I said I "should" be very fast... I'm currently holding the "Virtual 5K" course record on slowest finish... Wink