Television - and decided for first race (Read 691 times)

11:00PM... and since it is the first day of daylight saving time, it feels like 12:00PM (or do you say 12:00AM or 00:00AM?) My average television time has increased a lot the last weeks: normally I watch TV for only 1 or 2 hours a month, but since a few weeks there is that program 'Marathon' on the Flemish national broadcast. 6 people, 3 man, 3 woman, aged 33 - 51, who haven't run a mile in their whole live, started to prepare for the Ne York marathon a year ago (so they will be running next weekend). Today was a transmission (???right word???) about the 20K of Brussels they ran in May as a part of there preparation. It was so stimulating to see, feel the atmosphere at such a race.... No, I'm definitely not aiming for a marathon (yet?), and certainly not within a year. After all, those 6 were coached professionally, had very close medical supervision.... My first long-term goal is a 16K (almost 10miles) trail run in September 2007. But yesterday I was looking through our town's information magazine, and found out that on November 26th, there is a 'forest run', fundraising for cancerresearch, here in our town. Distances are 3K, 6K, 9K and 15K. (weird distances maybe Wink ) 3K doesn't seem very challenging, since I already run more on my training runs, so it will be the 6K for me. I still have to find someone who wants to take care of our son (or accompany him to the race), because dh has to guide a hike in 'the Ardennes', the Southern part of Belgium, but I'll certainly find some kind of solution (maybe ds is tempted to run the children's' race, only 1K - but the problem is that the start of that race is only 15 min before those 6K, so he will arrive when I'm already waiting for the start...) OK, 11:25 PM, going to bed.... goodnight to everybody! I must say it feels very good, motivating to have that race within a few weeks!

Running in Belgium
    Ann

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Man, if I were in Belgium I would watch your little guy and cheer you on. I have a 5.5 year old son and that's certainly a challenge when it comes to making time for training. It can be tough to arrange time for our own workouts around the schedules of our spouses and small kids. Boy, I think you could probably shoot for the 6k, assuming the terrain is not too daunting. 6k would be a nice distance at your place in training. Can you commit to a distance and change a few days before if you don't feel ready for it? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Can you commit to a distance and change a few days before if you don't feel ready for it?
        Oh yes.... You can only subscribe on the same day, not before... It is really a very local thing, more a run than a race. I even think you can change your mind during the race: The four distances all start at 10:00 AM, and they are all multiples of 3K, so I suppose there is a trail of more or less 3K, that you can run 1, 2,3 or 5 times. And the terrain, well, you can take a look here. It's partly sand, partly dirt roads, but relatively flat. (I live in a very flat region. The spot were the run takes place is called 'keiheuvel' = stonehill, but 'hill' is really an understatement (our street is 'Bukenberg' = Beech mountain, and has an elevation of maybe one or two yards over one mile Wink ).

Running in Belgium
        Ann

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, that looks like a beautiful race! And since they're so flexible, I think I'd just do what you feel up to on the day of the race--that's kind of a nice no-pressure event. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

I live for races. Gives me motivation to keep going. And I've found that a lot of the time, I enjoy the small local runs more than the big mega-events.