Yours Truly 50K (Read 401 times)

Carl A

A great day out on the rail trails of northeast Pennsylvania. Challenging terrain, with fresh snow over old snowmobile tracks, made for slow going, even though I ran over 90% of the course and power-walked at other times. I got a bonus mile by going back for our mountain biker at about mile three, who had much trouble getting traction and had to abandon the course and go down onto the roads. Ate 8 gels and 2 packs of sports beans during the first 2/3 of the course. Then, at the 19-mile mark, used my minivan aid station to drink some M&Ms and eat some pretzels, and then filled a water bottle with flat cola and another with water, and lived off of that for the final 12 miles. At about Forest City, the snow was shallower and traction was good. I could have really cruised there, if I hadn't been worn out from trudging through the first 40K! Plodded on to the finish, though, where Chris and our boys ran in the last 200 yards with me. Finishing time: 7:13:58. Not my usual pace, but OK for conditions. Afterwards, Dave (another 50K runner), Chris, and I celebrated with a beer, some soda, and many slices of pizza at our house. Feel pretty good today (Monday); I'm less sore than immediately after any of my marathons, and in good shape to continue training.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Nice Carl- that sounds like quite an adventure! How were the temperatures? And I'm curious about how you drink M+M's. I have lots of experience inhaling them, but don't know if I have tried drinking them before. Smile
      Carl A

Thanks, Shaunna. It was chilly, something like 20 degrees at the start and 25 at the finish. Only a few occasional breezes, though. I think I may have just wanted to drink those M&Ms as I poured them down from the pack. I actually do remember chewing them, a little!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

All business

Nice job Carl! I imagine trudging through the snow would make it super-tough, but it sounds like you took it in stride. Congrats on your first ultra of '08!

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks for the report Carl, I've been itching to return to trail ultras and your report helped. Pretzels and flat cola...only an ultrarunner would truly appreciate that. The only thing you missed was boiled potatoes dipped in salt...my favorite. And M&M's...hmmm, that would work. Thanks again!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016