Hot chocolate 15 k DC (Read 985 times)

Julia1971

Are you gonna give us the name of this race? I mean, why not turn this into a thread about bad races -- seems appropriate enough Smile

Not the race organizer's fault, but mine was the 2005 Army 11.2 Miler.  I still want to know who's backpack that was.

I kinda like FUBAR races.  A little part of me is jealous I missed this one.

I'm starting to see similar reports coming out of last night's Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Not the race organizer's fault, but mine was the 2005 Army 11.2 Miler.  I still want to know who's backpack that was.

I kinda like FUBAR races.  A little part of me is jealous I missed this one.

I went there specifically for the FUBAR.  And enjoyed it immensely.

My report from the front lines:

http://wellimtryingtorun.blogspot.com/2011/12/race-report-hot-chocolate-15k-december.html

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

I went there specifically for the FUBAR.  And enjoyed it immensely.

My report from the front lines:

http://wellimtryingtorun.blogspot.com/2011/12/race-report-hot-chocolate-15k-december.html

Loved the Hindenberg image.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
          Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

vegefrog

Geez that sounds awful. The Reindeer 5K I ran last weekend had some starting mat issues, so the chip times still aren't up and I have been complaining about that. Guess I'll just be happy that I had a nice, fun, organized run without any other issues!

Speaking of poor organization I did the Vegas Rock and Roll on Sunday. Complete cluster! And yes, I do realize that is was somewhat of an "event" rather than a race and that the rock and roll series is a very commercialized series. That being said..... Here is a synopsis. You can see many of the comments on the rnrlv Facebook page. 1. Ran out of tshirts 2. Ran out of medals. Many that completed the half were given a full medal to compensate! Many got nothing 3. Merged the half course with the full course at a ridiculous point. 4. Not much for post race food/beverages 5. Ran out of water at many of the early aid stations! 6. Bananas post race were dark green. Days from being ripe or edible 7. Some people took up to 4 hours to leave the race site because there were no shuttles or taxis 8. Most restaurants at that end of the strip were closed meaning the open ones had 2-3 hour wait lists You get the picture. My personal experience was this. Started with a great first half of 1:37. As I approached the second half of the marathon it merged with the start do the half. As i merged onto las Vegas blvd I ran into a WALL of 38,000 half marathoners. Based on the pacers I saw, I was starting just behind the 2:30 half runners/walkers. I spent such a ridiculous amount of time and energy weaving in and out of this mob (on a dark street) that I didn't have the legs or mental strength to do better than 1:46 for the second half. There was a specific marked marathon lane but it wasn't enforced at all. Complete letdown on my BQ attempt

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

1. Ran out of tshirts

2. Ran out of medals. Many that completed the half were given a full medal to compensate! Many got nothing

3. Merged the half course with the full course at a ridiculous point.

4. Not much for post race food/beverages

5. Ran out of water at many of the early aid stations!

6. Bananas post race were dark green. Days from being ripe or edible

7. Some people took up to 4 hours to leave the race site because there were no shuttles or taxis

Wow.  Each of these things has happened over the years at R&R's CMM in Nashville.  Guess they never learn.

#s 3 and 7 are especially bad EVERY year at CMM.

Wow.  Each of these things has happened over the years at R&R's CMM in Nashville.  Guess they never learn.

Very few marathons get it right, trying to run a half and full marathon, at the same time. (affects my marathon choice, now)

CMM traffic. I can't believe someone can design an egress to a stadium knowing the amount of traffic coming in and have only 1 lane coming into the parking lot. Complete bullsh*t.

Get off my porch

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

I was pleasantly surprised by CMM. This was my first ever marathon and I basically threw a dart to pick this one. I like Nashville in general so that's really why I chose it. Then I started reading race reports from prior years. They were disasterous. Apparently there was near tornado weather and it was poorly communicated. I'd hear the back half was barren of crowds and mostly run in industrial districts. I'd heard while bands are advertised they seldom show.

So I left Chicago, with very low expectations. The day before I overheard a bar patron mention that taking busses to the start was a crap shoot, and I didn't want that additional worry so I walked the 1.5-2 miles to the start from my hotel.

While my result was not what I expected, I thought the whole thing was well organized. I did not take teh bus, so no idea if that was fixed, but the aid stations were well stocked and manned, the course only cut across the industrial section for a short blip in the middle, there was great crowd support through the and better than average for the rest. The back half of the course followed the river to a green park and back.

I though the CMM this year was really run very well. I had low expectations because of what I'd read, but I sensed they were learning.

I did have one complaint, there was really nobody in teh finish village that could direct us to our gear pick-up. I don't think the volunteers had any type of uniform or common shirt, so that was probably a miss.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                    Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

"run" "2" "eat"

Anyhow, last marathon I ran, total suckage.  No way hot chocolate could have come even within an order of magnitude of that one.

i know, right? and what about the mud pit at the finish line?! the RD is clearly incompetent.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

i know, right? and what about the mud pit at the finish line?! the RD is clearly incompetent.

Yeah that ruined my very expensive socks.  Thinking about suing the RD for compensation.  

The beer tent was hidden somehow, or had to wade through more mud to get it.  What an inconsiderate jerk!.  

And don't even start with gear check , there was none!!.

I ran the 15k race.

Everyone around me in the race was saying "Worst race ever" sorts of comments.

I think that RAM did the best they could with the hand they dealt themselves as well as the hand they were given. I don't think things were quite as bad as everyone seems to have said. The venue choice is the big thing and had a huge impact on there being bad traffic, parking, as well as a bad course. A lot of the issues would have been squared away if the run had been done somewhere with metro access, or in an area that can actually accommodate a course (thus avoiding running on a highway next to traffic, or through construction lots and loading docks).

So yeah, it was bad. There's no way I would ever ever run a race at Nat'l Harbor again. Am I willing to give RAM another chance? Sure. Did I even get any chocolate at the end? No. =(

~J

#artbydmcbride

I ran the 15k race.

Everyone around me in the race was saying "Worst race ever" sorts of comments.

I think that RAM did the best they could with the hand they dealt themselves as well as the hand they were given. I don't think things were quite as bad as everyone seems to have said. The venue choice is the big thing and had a huge impact on there being bad traffic, parking, as well as a bad course. A lot of the issues would have been squared away if the run had been done somewhere with metro access, or in an area that can actually accommodate a course (thus avoiding running on a highway next to traffic, or through construction lots and loading docks).

So yeah, it was bad. There's no way I would ever ever run a race at Nat'l Harbor again. Am I willing to give RAM another chance? Sure. Did I even get any chocolate at the end? No. =(

No chocolate?  Oh Hell no!

Runners run