gallbladder (Read 879 times)

Anyone here have the surgery?  Is there a lot of down time? 

I"ve been putting mine off since I have a $5000 deductible, but just want to get it over with.

- Anya

A Saucy Wench

Well, if you are gonna doit, best to do it early in the calendar year...

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

yea,  you're right..   I'm just not sure I really want to or not.  I get conflicting information.  The surgeon just wants to remove it, but my regular doc says I can do other things.   I'm just getting sick of the little man with a blow torch living in my tummy, if you know what I mean.

- Anya

My wife just had hers out, if it's done laparoscopic the recovery time is about 6 weeks, and she was doing most things within 3 weeks. There's always the chance the surgery doesn't go perfectly and they'll open up and do it normally, but surgery is amazing these days.

Co-worker had hers removed by a surgeon. $5,000, lighter it didn't solve her problem. Ending up going back 3 weeks later to have gall stones removed. That solved her issues. (different Dr)

Get off my porch

Co-worker had hers removed by a surgeon. $5,000, lighter it didn't solve her problem. Ending up going back 3 weeks later to have gall stones removed. That solved her issues. (different Dr)

That's what I'm afraid of.   Afterall, it is an organ, right?

I was told that you couldn't just remove the stone, you have to remove the whole thing.   I don't have the classic attacks, but have always a nawing nagging dull burning pain in the pit of my stomach.   I've lived with it so long, but it seems to be getting worse.  

I have to admit, if I didn't have the $5k deductible, I might be more inclined.   I need to think about this. 

mta: not to mention the down time.  I want to keep running. I'm on a roll, here.

- Anya

Had mine out but I was in constant pain and could not eat anything for 3 weeks.  Was really awful.  Down time is about 6 weeks and you have to take it easy returning to running but it doesn't take long to get back at it.  Not like a , say stress fracture.  I was sick for weeks before the surgery so it took a lot our of my running,  Hard to run with that kind of pain and no food.  You need to make the decision but I would do some more research and get at least a second opinion. My pain was under my rib cage and it radiated into my back.

Had mine out but I was in constant pain and could not eat anything for 3 weeks.  Was really awful.  Down time is about 6 weeks and you have to take it easy returning to running but it doesn't take long to get back at it.  Not like a , say stress fracture.  I was sick for weeks before the surgery so it took a lot our of my running,  Hard to run with that kind of pain and no food.  You need to make the decision but I would do some more research and get at least a second opinion. My pain was under my rib cage and it radiated into my back.

My father had it there too.  I think that's the classic gallbladder attack.   My pain is a burning pain in the pit of my stomach.  Almost always there, but sometimes worse than others.   It feels like I'm hungry, or need something in my stomach..  There are times when it's so bad I can't run. Or have to stop running, and walk. But, I do not have what you had.  And am greateful. 

What I don't want to happen, is have me switch insurance plans and have it be a pre exsisting condition, and not be covered at all. I'm getting married, and will be switching plans.  It could be potentially denied.   It bothers me, and I worry it will get worse. But, is that a reason to

remove it?  I can manage it, but should I ?   A lot of questions..  I plan to get a second opinion with a different doctor.  My doctor told me I had reflux?  WTF? My pain is in the pit of my belly , not classic heartburn...  Plus I have 8mm stones, which sort of creeps me out.

6 weeks is a long time in my book.  But, I guess it could be worse. 

Thanks for the info?   BTW, did it help? 

- Anya

I started having some issues shortly after turning 30. Went to the doc, they said it was gall bladder. They did an ultrasound. They didn't find any gallstones. They did an ejection fraction test, and my numbers were not as high as they liked. While all of this was going on, I noticed a pattern that on the days that I had anything with red meat, I felt like curling up on the floor a few hours later and dying. I went to get a second opinion, the new doctor said it must be what the last doctor said: gall bladder.  Mostly they thought that might be it because I lost 18 pounds in 6 months and my ejection fraction was low (18 pounds in 6 months is not what I would consider rapid weight loss, but they would not listen.) I stopped eating red meat, and the issue went away.  That was 6 years ago.

What's my point? Unless they know for a fact that it is your gall bladder, I wouldn't let 'em take it without trying everything else possible.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

I started having some issues shortly after turning 30. Went to the doc, they said it was gall bladder. They did an ultrasound. They didn't find any gallstones. They did an ejection fraction test, and my numbers were not as high as they liked. While all of this was going on, I noticed a pattern that on the days that I had anything with red meat, I felt like curling up on the floor a few hours later and dying. I went to get a second opinion, the new doctor said it must be what the last doctor said: gall bladder.  Mostly they thought that might be it because I lost 18 pounds in 6 months and my ejection fraction was low (18 pounds in 6 months is not what I would consider rapid weight loss, but they would not listen.) I stopped eating red meat, and the issue went away.  That was 6 years ago.

What's my point? Unless they know for a fact that it is your gall bladder, I wouldn't let 'em take it without trying everything else possible.

Thanks.  And yes, it flares when I eat a lot of fat.  That's for sure.   I eat red meat less then 10 times  a year.   Too bad, I love ribs!!!!! 

- Anya