Running with iPhone (Read 1025 times)

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I've always been a fan of having one device that does it all. So, a few years ago, I got a phone that played music. Didn't do a good job playing music and if I wasn't super careful in shutting the music off, the phone battery would die. Now wanting something that could serve as PDA, Music and phone...iPhone is one of many options that I think could do this...however, know that running with HD-based iPods is a bad idea. Any comments on running with the iPhone?

TRUST THE PROCESS

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Should add that not even sure we get AT & T in our area, so not planning on running out and buying the iPhone...just asking.

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I really think the iPhone *sounds* great--especially since we are Apple-heads around here...BUT I am forever dropping my regular phone. I have a feeling that my el-cheapo, ancient LG is more durable than the iPhone...same with my 2nd gen. iPod. As nice as it would be to have a single device on my runs (I often feel like a pack horse with my iPod, phone, garmin, inhaler, etc.), that also means that dropping said device could mean bye-bye phone, bye-bye music player. Not sure that I'd need the web capabilities, either, since I'd not use that while running (though I think it would be hilarious to check RA *while* actually running...just to be a PITA) and when I'm not running I'm pretty much home. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I run with a crappy cheap cell phone that I can drop, get wet, lose, whatever. I will likely get an iPod Touch instead of an iPhone and keep my phone separate. And cheap.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

iPhone is one of many options that I think could do this...however, know that running with HD-based iPods is a bad idea. Any comments on running with the iPhone?
            iPhone is not HD-based, it's flash-based. Nevertheless, I think you're too likely to break the device while running. I like Trent's idea of cheap phone and iPod touch. And I still think that the Shuffle or some other really small flash-based mp3 player is the way to go for running, regardless of what phone and/or major device you choose to have. Inexpensive, and bells/whistles are unnecessary for music on the run.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And I still think that the Shuffle or some other really small flash-based mp3 player is the way to go for running, regardless of what phone and/or major device you choose to have. Inexpensive, and bells/whistles are unnecessary for music on the run.
              Yeah, I really wish I had the Shuffle, instead of the Nano...it's too big (make note of this--first time a woman has ever registered this complaint!).

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

it's too big (make note of this--first time a woman has ever registered this complaint!).
                Not true. My wife says this to me all the time. About my nose. Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

(though I think it would be hilarious to check RA *while* actually running...just to be a PITA)
                  I want someone to do a live race report (MARATHON) from their iPhone! You could post pictures too!

Vim

JakeKnight

You're gonna get mugged. I know people who say they'd kill for an i-Phone. And I think they mean it.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I want someone to do a live race report (MARATHON) from their iPhone! You could post pictures too!
                      Ooh, how awesome would that be?! Big grin I think JK has a point, though...I'd honestly be a little leery of mugging, and I live in the sticks. If I lived in a more suburban or urban setting I wouldn't consider carrying one. k

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Thanks, all. Just thought I'd throw the question out there and see what came back. Actually, I have a nice refurbished shuffle that I got a while back for under $50 and am happy with that. I hadn't thought about the "killing for an iPhone," but that doesn't surprise me. And, I'd hate to drop something that I already paid way too much for in the first place! I'm gonna keep on keepin' on with what I've got - a phone, my shuffle, and my refurbished Garmin 201 (wish it worked with my Mac!). Thanks again!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Plus, if you drop an all-in-one, your TOTALLY out of luck on everything, eh?

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Plus, if you drop an all-in-one, your TOTALLY out of luck on everything, eh?
                            That would be my worry, too...kinda like carrying "all the eggs in one basket" concept.

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

It's actually a flippin' miracle that Trent hasn't already done this. He seems to spend half of most marathons on the phone, anyway. I'd expect to see live-blogging of the 2008 Monkey.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

Burninated Peasant

I've been pretty happy using a phone that supports stereo bluetooth and a Motorola S9 headset. You can keep the phone itself out of sight, and there aren't any wires to get in the way. For what it's worth, my phone is a Motorola Z6TV, but there are some other versions of that phone that ought to work better. I'm typically pretty tough on my phones - they always look like crap within a couple months, but I've never had any functional problems with this one.