Going very fast on the treadmill--safe? (Read 565 times)

True.

Please expound upon your statement. I'm being serious. Please explain why running on a treadmill is not running. Here is one article that would be interesting for you to refute:

How Real Runners Train on Treadmills

It is probably one of hundreds you can find. The section on Marius Bakken is interesting:

There are those who use treadmills. Then there's Marius Bakken. During his prime, the two-time Olympian with a 5,000m PR of 13:06 ran every single hard workout from October through April on a treadmill, except when he was training in Kenya. During summers he continued to do half of his sessions running in place. "I was never really forced to run on the treadmill," he says. "Despite cold winters in Norway it is always possible to find some stretches with bare asphalt."

Look, all things being equal I believe most people would prefer to run outdoors. But running on a treadmill is running. You are wrong.

xhristopher

True.

Only if you are dressed as a member of the opposite sex.

joescott

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

NHLA

I am not saying that TM running is worthless. It is my opinion that it is cross training. You can feel differently if you like.

Feeling the growl again

I am not saying that TM running is worthless. It is my opinion that it is cross training. You can feel differently if you like.

Physics is not my opinion, it is a set of laws of the universe.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I believe Desi Davila also trained substantially on a treadmill through her round of injuries.

I'm not an elite, but I trained exclusively on a treadmill before my first 5k (19:56) and only ran outdoors a few more times before hitting my mile PR (in sig).  I run all of my reps at the same pace on the treadmill and outdoors (except for sprints, admittedly). I'm skeptical of treadmills for other reasons, like how they artificially force you to maintain a very specific pace--I don't know about that if it's a recovery or easy run on which you should listen to your body--but physics are in their favor: there really is no difference between a moving belt and an unmoving road, except for air resistance.  Do the math.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Feeling the growl again

I believe Desi Davila also trained substantially on a treadmill through her round of injuries.

avor: there really is no difference between a moving belt and an unmoving road, except for air resistance.  Do the math.

Yeah, I run on a treadmill a lot too.  Partly due to injuries and needing to be able to step off without being 10 miles from home, and partly due to needing to run while simultaneously watching small children.  Personal experiences are one thing, but we need not even go that far.  Those trying to say that running on a moving belt you can somehow just hold your position and be aided by the belt, are simply not educated as to the basics of physics.  There is no difference between running on a treadmill and running on a solid surface of the same incline, aside from a very small component of airflow.  Heck, if you have a wind at your back on a road equal to the velocity you are running, there is zero difference.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

BeeRunB

It is safe to go fast on a treadmill. Run 3-5 min intervals as fast as you can run for 8 min. then run 3-5 min slow. then do it again.  Put incline on 0.  Remember TM is not running its cross training. Get well and get back on the road.

Why do you feel it's important that we know you believe it really should be called "cross training", and not running?

Why do you believe it is "crosstraining" instead of running?

Does "crosstraining"  (e.g.) 3 hours on a treadmill on at least a 1% incline at an aerobic effort work the muscle fibers the same way as (e.g.) running on a track at the same aerobic effort? Anaerobic effort?  Is it the same training effect? Or do you shortchange yourself somehow?

Thanks.

p.s. It's not safe to go fast on a treadmill while eating corn muffins. Believe me now.

bhearn

This thread is very funny.

Not dead. Yet.

Maybe you should draw a graft for everyone.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

bhearn

In outdoor running, forward motion is momentum, which is a balance force that simply doesn't exist if you're on a treadmill.

there's a huge difference between running 25MPH, and staying upright on a 25 MPH belt pulling underneath you.

That's it; you're disqualified from ever using the word "physics" on RA again.

joescott

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

True.

Perhaps it is better to be irresponsible and right, than to be responsible and wrong, Mr. National Hockey League Player's Association.  Perhaps.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

MrH

I think we've disqualified him from this before. But it didn't change his behavior.

He has his opinion on "physics" and Internet law says that those are just as valid as people who have actual PhDs in physics. (or in this example, people who were even half paying attention in high school)

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Sure it's safe. Just pray you don't have a power surge or lose power while hauling ass. My buddy was hauling ass on his treamill and lost power, and ran into the cross bar thing busted his ass big time, was funny as hell. Obviously it doesn't happen often, but something to keep in mind.