First Metric Century Ride (Read 906 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I <3 my bike (and my hubby for not leaving me in his dust)...that was a fun 62 miles.  Hoping for a full 100 miler sometime before the end of June.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Queen of 3rd Place

Way to go! That's a long day!

Ex runner

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We did stop for lunch at one of my favorite brew-pubs (across from our favorite bike shop), but I didn't have beer.  Had I not already been kinda sleepy a beer would have been nice.  I did have an awesome salad with the most amazing blue cheese dressing--made with beer!

~ Sarah Kay

thats a nice log entry. i was not so smart about my ride today. i got this crazy bug in me this morning telling me to ride to starved rock. so around noon i took off 22 miles into a valley with a nice 10 mph breeze behind me, in about 90 minutes. hiked  a couple miles of technical trails and felt like i should probably save what was left for the ride home. i brought nothing to eat for the day so i just rehydrated and took off. the ride home was totally brutal. my energy level was laughable, however i made it back the whole way (barely) in around 2 hours. once i find the energy to take a shower i might reflect on what a fantastic day it has been.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

once i find the energy to take a shower i might reflect on what a fantastic day it has been.

Heh, it took me a while to drag my butt into the shower, too...though I did agree to let DH go first, since he agreed to go get a few groceries and a pizza.

That ride home sounded brutal.  I don't think I could do 44 miles + hike without something to eat, either.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

That's great! A couple more long rides and you'll be ready for that full century. Do you have one on your calendar yet? It won't be long until your ready.

Personally I find them easier do and easier to train for than a marathon. Besides base miles and long rides, the key is hydration and nutrition. Stay ahead on both, ride sensibly and you have a good time. Oh, and take it easy on the hills. If you bonk it's a long, long ride home.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Luckily I'm fairly strong on hills, though Sunday we did a HILLY 40 miler and by the last 5-6 miles I was TOAST.  I'm hoping to do a full century sometime before June ends.  That would be a unofficial sort of ride.  There is a big one in mid-July.  I think that's fairly flat.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Luckily I'm fairly strong on hills, though Sunday we did a HILLY 40 miler and by the last 5-6 miles I was TOAST.  I'm hoping to do a full century sometime before June ends.  That would be a unofficial sort of ride.  There is a big one in mid-July.  I think that's fairly flat.

I love hills and normally attack them on any other ride. I'll build my ride around a good hill or two. Here in eastern MA they have a century for hill lovers. When I did this one I charged up the big hill (Mt. Wachusett) and paid the price about 30 miles later. Still, no regrets. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love hills and normally attack them on any other ride. I'll build my ride around a good hill or two. Here in eastern MA they have a century for hill lovers. When I did this one I charged up the big hill (Mt. Wachusett) and paid the price about 30 miles later. Still, no regrets. 

Yikes!  I think I'd be content to do a half century on that terrain!

~ Sarah Kay